Fabio Capello: I fucked up...

Michel Kane

Fabio Capello has admitted he blundered by leaving Theo Walcott out of England's World Cup squad last summer.

The Arsenal winger was the shock omission from the Italian's party for the tournament in South Africa, which ended in a dismal failure for the Three Lions.

Walcott scored a memorable hat-trick in the qualifying victory away to Croatia and Capello admits his ability to make an impact on matches makes the 21-year-old a rare commodity.

"He is playing how I remember when he started to play with us. It was a tough decision leaving Theo out for the World Cup," Capello said.

"He is one of the players after the World Cup I thought about a lot. I made a mistake not selecting him.

"He is one of the players who can make the difference. I should have taken him."

Capello has also hailed the improvement made by Walcott's Gunners team-mate Jack Wilshere and told the youngster he will be England's new holding midfielder.

Wilshere, who had a short substitute appearance against Hungary in August, will be given the chance Denmark on 9th February to prove he is ready for a key role in the England side.

Capello wants Wilshere to sit in midfield after seeing Gareth Barry fail to shine in the role and Owen Hargreaves, Capello's first choice, fail to get over his injury problems.

"Hargreaves played this position very, very well every game," Capello said. "But after the knee problem, he was never back.

"I put different players in there but they'd never played in this position. Barry with Aston Villa never played this position. He started to play there only with me [and now with Manchester City]. But I saw Wilshere play every game in this position."

Capello sees Wilshere taking on a role which Claude Makelele, currently with Paris Saint-Germain, filled for France, Chelsea and Real Madrid.

"Wilshere is better technically than Makelele. He's slower than Makelele but when he receives the ball he is more dangerous than Makelele.

"Wilshere is the best young player. He now plays all the time with Arsenal. If you play with Arsenal, you are a really good player because Arsene Wenger likes good players.

"I think he's mature enough to play this role. He's a really interesting player.

"The players will arrive really tired. They play a lot of games before this. I have to change and make six substitutions. But it will be important for Wilshere to understand he will be the future."

Worringly, it looks like he genuinely thinks Wilshere is a holding midfielder. SMH

lol @ Tj Walcott making any difference for England

I told every1 Tj would not do anything after that fluke of a hatrick and I was emphatically proven right

As for Whilshere, Crapello must be having a laugh, young AM's normally play a bit deep at first to get them used to the ball and to get involved, Chavski are doing the same with Josh McEachran..

Both of them played the no.10 role for the youth n reserve teams and they will deffo end up playing further up the park so Fabio can nip that DM sh*t in the bud asap

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Seems like no-one has a clue what to do with that England squad

Would be interesting to see what a fans favourite Brit (Harry or Coyle most probs) does next time round

Cannot see a Scot managing England.

They should give it to Hodgson, that's who they wanted.

lol @ Tj Walcott making any difference for England

I told every1 Tj would not do anything after that fluke of a hatrick and I was emphatically proven right

:lol:

Cos Lennon & SWP did so much?

How have you deluded yourself to think you've been proved right? Seriously, I wanna know.

Tj has been nothing short of shocking since the hatrick

He cudnt even make the World Cup squad despite being given numerous chances to impress

When are u going to get over him seriously? Ur love for him is admirable i spose.. Tj is ur achilles heel

what use would theo of done with terry, upson and green as your back three

he could of took both walcott and lennon.... and dropped swp and messi

Since Zagreb, Walcott hasnt really played the same way for England, that night he came of the wing, I said it at the time from the sound of things Walcott didnt go cos Capello wanted him to play like a winger, who could cross for Rooney (like Nani & Valencia). Walcott cant cross. So if you wanna play that way then take Lennon & SWP & let them cross to Rooney, but sadly we all know how that went... Which is the point Capello is making, he had no plan B.

Capello seems to feel the way Arsenal play, England cant play. His points on Wilshere yesterday and previously when he said Wilshere can only make short passes, say he thinks its hard for the players to adapt from their club style.

Guest M12 Part 2

And capello also needs to call up Barton for the next game, he has been the best English player this season, forget Wilshere as of now his time will come, the likes of Parker and Barton deserve to be getting called ahead of him.

I'm not even going into detail about the level of sh*t your chatting bur Kevin Nolan (the guy who stands next to Barton)has been better than him this season. So best englishman is crazy talk when hes not even been best in his position at mighty Newcastle.

And capello also needs to call up Barton for the next game, he has been the best English player this season, forget Wilshere as of now his time will come, the likes of Parker and Barton deserve to be getting called ahead of him.

I'm not even going into detail about the level of sh*t your chatting bur Kevin Nolan (the guy who stands next to Barton)has been better than him this season. So best englishman is crazy talk when hes not even been best in his position at mighty Newcastle.

Nah mate i've watched nearly all the games and Barton has been their best player, most Newcastle fans would subscribe to this view. He has been the creative hub of their side, although Nolan has got more goals, Barton has got them ticking, him and Tiote have been their best players so far imo, and no English midfielder has come close to Bartons level of performance.

What English players have performed better than Barton then, since you exhibit such dismay over my comment?

I can only think of Ferdinand(who has been injured during early parts of this season, Carroll(?), Hart(?), who else help me out i'm struggling here.

Guest Portuguese

Stupid article.

As if Walcott or Adam Johnson would of had a say against Germany.

Come on Guys let's be true to ourselves here.

The only two players who would of made a difference were Rio Ferdinand and injury free Owen Hargreaves.

Guest Portuguese

Very true but something we can't argue with the first tactically/technically superior team would of tooken them to the cleaners.

Last time I saw England actually look like world beaters in a major tournament was against

You need to help me out my friend I am struggling here.

No-one's disputing that, but bringing Walcott would suggest he has a plan B.

Saying that though, Capello wouldn't get the 'Arsenal' Walcott where he plays more as a forward. He'd be just another winger for England, so the whole argument is pointless.

But what he intends to do with Wilshere is much more intriguing.

Guest Portuguese

Very true.

Besides isn't Walcott part of Capello's Plan A?

Wilshere without a defensive minded(tactically aware) player alongside him is an accident waiting to happen because he will need that type og player if he is going to deploy Wilshere in the quarter back role which makes no sense when you have Tom Huddlestone(this feels like Glenn Hoddle all over again because your country is crying for this type of player)

• Upvote 1

Guest Klitschko

Walcott was the least of his mistakes

1. Bringing, and starting an injured Gareth Barry, fair enough if it was Wayne Rooney, David Beckham, but not Gareth Barry.

2. Asking a shot Jamie Carraghaha to come out of retirement and play

3. Starting Matthew Upson over Michael Dawson, Joleon Lescott, Phil Jagielka, Wes Brown etc

4. Playing Rob Green, and then subsequently dropping him after a predictable howler

5. The way he conducted his pre - WC friendlies, consistently picking the same team - fringe players didn't get a chance to try out, or if they did, it was 20 minutes at the end of a dreary game

6. Playing Steven Gerrard in a role that would leave Ashley Cole continually vulnerable

7. Thinking SWP was a better impact sub than Walcott, WRONG

8. Picking the big names over the best team

9. To compound it all, in line with the kneejerk reaction from idiot fans across the country, he DROPPED

Crouch

Carrick

Parker etcetera

From any type of squad AFTER the world cup, when Crouch had only played 12 minutes, Carrick had not seen World Cup action, and disgracefully Scott Parker had been dragged along to the final friendly, and sat on the bench for the whole game and was not picked.

There are so many bad points up there I almost forgot

He perseveered with Emile Heskey.

Surely Capello is a managerial tr0ll? (i deteste having to spell that with a zero)

• Upvote 1