Who gets the best jobs?

Guest Awesome Kong

Yeah it's a pisstake especially in the creative industries where working for free has become something of the norm and of course everyone wants that job so put up with it. Have a friend who's working for free at the moment on a well know fashion magazine her and 7 other girls imagine the shitty feeling if you don't get a paid postion.

It's ok for people who's parents can afford to loan them money as they can relax as they don't have to work but for everyone else they are screwed.

Sort of glad that my GF is already firmly placed in the industry that i want to go into and i have offers of doing work in and around the various film production companies. Without contacts in this game your severely disadvantaged.

you're told not to do Journalism at university if you want to get into journalism by any careers advisor who knows what they're talking about

Why?

Cos it's not a serious degree

that peckham girl is very f*ck*ng lucky. but she done well, 35k law job is sick. for a graduate thats immense, only thing better is a banking job probably.

but she is definately a rare case, the majority from her background even with a degree probably wont get that far.

I didn't watch it cos I'm fed up of these type of programmes by the BBC. Millionaires pontificating about how unequal the system is...do me a favour.

However, 35k for a grad job as a solicitor or barrister (unless it's criminal law) is usually below average. Starting salary at A&O, CC, Freshfields etc is around 45k and goes up to about 68k after you qualify. At chambers, particularly commercial/equity/land etc, pupils usually start off with a 30-50k award for their first year.

Yeah I thought that as well, especially cos she was going into commerical law. Fair play to her though, she's going in like me

Guest M12 Part 2

I think the main thing that holds people like us back is our parents lack of knowledge. For example Everyones parents will tell you to be a lawyer but there is a massive difference in pay between someone who does criminal law and someone who does contract law. A lot of peoples parents have never been in these circles and will just say do law.

/

Same way a lotta parents will say work in a bank that's where the money is but have no idea of the vast difference in pay from being an investment banker and a manager in a retail bank. To them it all falls under the same umbrella of being in a bank.

People need to be taught or find out for themselves exactly which niches make money and stop with these assumptions that everyone in law is rich and everyone in industries like recruitment are poor. It's not the case anymore and im not even sure it ever was.

Yeah it's a pisstake especially in the creative industries where working for free has become something of the norm and of course everyone wants that job so put up with it. Have a friend who's working for free at the moment on a well know fashion magazine her and 7 other girls imagine the shitty feeling if you don't get a paid postion.

It's ok for people who's parents can afford to loan them money as they can relax as they don't have to work but for everyone else they are screwed.

Sort of glad that my GF is already firmly placed in the industry that i want to go into and i have offers of doing work in and around the various film production companies. Without contacts in this game your severely disadvantaged.

u got contacts? what kinda film work u lookin to do?

/

apparently im in this documentary with some of my class mates but need to catch on iplayer to confirm

Guest M12 Part 2

no, people need to do what they love, with pay being a secondary consideration

This is the kinda bullshit that has ruined this country. With the exception of football, sport and music. What could you possibly know about as a 16 year old. You don't know sh*t about any profession and people are already telling you to do what you enjoy. You could enjoy being an accountant or a doctor or an engineer. But you will never know because all you have is other peoples stories. You have never set foot inside a real working environment and yet people are telling you to "do what you love". Well the scope for what you love is very small if you've never actually done anything.

• Upvote 2

Guest Esquilax

This is the kinda bullshit that has ruined this country. With the exception of football, sport and music. What could you possibly know about as a 16 year old. You don't know sh*t about any profession and people are already telling you to do what you enjoy. You could enjoy being an accountant or a doctor or an engineer. But you will never know because all you have is other peoples stories. You have never set foot inside a real working environment and yet people are telling you to "do what you love". Well the scope for what you love is very small if you've never actually done anything.

This is very true

well what i said still stands

but i agree with You, in that education should be more vocational, and less academic, from an earlier age, so that children know more about the world of work when they leave school

and that's not ruined this country, relying on import rather than manufacturing in the UK has ruined this country ( in terms of this discussion )

I think the main thing that holds people like us back is our parents lack of knowledge. For example Everyones parents will tell you to be a lawyer but there is a massive difference in pay between someone who does criminal law and someone who does contract law. A lot of peoples parents have never been in these circles and will just say do law.

/

Same way a lotta parents will say work in a bank that's where the money is but have no idea of the vast difference in pay from being an investment banker and a manager in a retail bank. To them it all falls under the same umbrella of being in a bank.

People need to be taught or find out for themselves exactly which niches make money and stop with these assumptions that everyone in law is rich and everyone in industries like recruitment are poor. It's not the case anymore and im not even sure it ever was.

the urge to get into those industries was because of the security. although job security is no longer an assurance

but it used to be for certain industries. if someone's parents pushed them to get into banking the nitty gritty of what type of bankers exist

is left for the child to find out. a manager at a retail bank can one day rise to be an exec director of the whole bank

what 'security' if any does a recruitment exec ever get? job market dries up hes out the door with nothing. i agree about the work experience for free thing tho

that peckham girl is very f*ck*ng lucky. but she done well, 35k law job is sick. for a graduate thats immense, only thing better is a banking job probably.

but she is definately a rare case, the majority from her background even with a degree probably wont get that far.

I didn't watch it cos I'm fed up of these type of programmes by the BBC. Millionaires pontificating about how unequal the system is...do me a favour.

However, 35k for a grad job as a solicitor or barrister (unless it's criminal law) is usually below average. Starting salary at A&O, CC, Freshfields etc is around 45k and goes up to about 68k after you qualify. At chambers, particularly commercial/equity/land etc, pupils usually start off with a 30-50k award for their first year.

regardless of whether its not so great within the profession, for a girl from peckham living in a council flat to get a 35k job is a very f*ck*ng good result.

besides, in the early days (especially in the current economic climate) you should be happy with what you get and then try build experience to get to higher positions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00yk31l/Young_Jobless_and_Living_at_Home/

ye im watching this "young, jobless and living at home" thing.

feel sorry for some of these guys, but a lot of them are just straight up slackers...

people who can't get up in the mornings, go late to interviews, cant push to work hard, cant focus etc...

they have themselves to blame on the most part.

also this poonam girl is really gettin me raged. those type of graduates who took uni for a doss camp and never grew up are just not serious. seriously, these people are what make degrees look worthless. the real world is tough, she still wants people to tell her what to do and she didnt have a clue about jobs or what a recession is. complaining about waking up at 830, thats bullshit!

it gets me pissed hard because ive always had to get up early, stay late and sacrifice my social life for work. hardly ever got to doss at uni or get any of that experience because i was doing a proper course and for me it was like having a 9-5 almost. after all that im no better off than these waste unemployed graduates.

i got a back up plan tho. f*ck the rat race.

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

that chick that waited till like midnight on the day she receives her money to walk an hour to the all night tesco only to find she had £1 in her account

what kind of life is this?

that chick that waited till like midnight on the day she receives her money to walk an hour to the all night tesco only to find she had £1 in her account

what kind of life is this?

ye i felt well sorry for her. whats wrong with her foster parents though, if they care for her at all why dont they just get her to move back home?

i cant understand this kind of stuff. i dont like to stereotype, but from my experience more white families seem to do this. where the child and the parent both push away from each other once the child is 16. obviously having independance is good, but no point letting your child fly the nest to live like that. surely a caring parent wouldnt want that for their child, what was the point looking after them all that time before.