f.a.o technological whizz

The Somalian

For you technological whizz kids I just was wondering if such a device exsist. I am after a box what can fit into my hdmi or scart lead in my tv and allow me to watch movies and shows I have downloaded of the net because at the moment I am just using a scart lead what is plugged into my tv. Im looking for a device where I can transfer the movies from my pc to this box via usb. if such a thing does exsist could you show me and does it play all kind of files avi, mp4 mpeg, wmv etc etc

*puts AVFORUMS geek hat*

You can stream from a PS3 or XBOX, do you have one

or

You can get a network media box, popular choices are Popcorn Hour or D Link

I use my XBOX, as I have mine all setup with Windows Media Centre and with all the artwork and that sorted

or

Something I may move to is XBMC, as the skins and artwork are sick

aeon_movieshowcase.jpg

screenshot008.jpg

My brother does that saves stuff to his ps3 from pc I got x box its chipped and only have 20 gig hard drive does that matter

Looks like I will get the network box will look into it on my lunch break cheer 

Currently upgrading the yard

With a PS3 the media is copied to it, with an XBOX it is streamed from your PC so it doesnt matter how much space you have on the XBOX. You just need to make sure your PC is on at all times.

Yeah look for a network box, have a look on AVforums for reviews etc, see what suits your needs.- http://www.avforums.com/forums/streamers-network-media-players/

Make sure you gettin one that has enough connections and that.

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

D-Link Boxee Box

75ZK_E844F7D6-F7C7-46BC-9532-50417E8ADBD9_large.jpg

What is the Boxee Box?

The Boxee Box by D-Link is the best way to enjoy TV programmes, movies, video and music from the Internet or a hard drive on your TV. Watch the latest programmes, play videos from nearly any website, organise your personal videos, music, and photos into beautiful libraries, and browse the Internet, all with a simple to use QWERTY remote.

£179.98

http://www.dabs.com/products/d-link-boxee-box-by-d-link-75ZK.html

from what i understand from the documentation, you can put your films on the hard drive and watch from there, or stream it from a network so you someone share the files over your home network or something, says its wifi capable aswell, dont know if that means it can connect to the network wirelessly and stream from a computer drive or if the wifi is just for the web browser

can be controlled by iphone and android phones aswell and comes with a full qwerty remote

http://www.power-on.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=7885

was gonna buy this one

pretty sure i seen that d box thing on bbc click

watching this review now

http://www.youtube.com/user/eXpansysTV?v=1xhb2mxO-fw&feature=pyv&ad=6774243879&kw=d-link%20boxee&gclid=COvipde1-aYCFUoKfAod_nCIDw

looks like I am getting the boxee now i need to buy an external blu ray reader to rip all my brothers discs

HDMI graphics card is an option

This.

I have my laptop connected to a TV via HDMI and it's nice.

Trust.

Ebuyer is still the best place.

eishh that shits expensive

take a look at this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-Micro-Media-Player/dp/B0046SD2MK/ref=pd_cp_ce_3

little box with usb inputs + hdmi (and scart) output

plug in any usb storage device (or certain memory cards) and connect it to any TV

supports full hd (bunch of diff codecs) and even has a little remote

dont own one myself but a mate does and ive seen it in action. easy to use, and cheap (£36)

theres other similar models with build in hard drives etc

Safe Skola saved me tidy sum and that price is a minor. Main thing I am using it for is to run stuff from external drive. So see those video’s on you tube what real player allows you to download it plays these to? Because I gonna start downloading a few music vids and freestyles tonight. Also what is the interface like? Thumbnails or just text (im at work cant search youtube for a demo) it’s a minor if its text as that is just an #imageting any how. Might upgrade to a boxee if I feel the need to but this gizmo looks sufficant.

Also is really worth me getting two Pc’s one for computing and one for music production. Also I have a stand alone sound card from 2003 what I still have in my old music pc is it worth using that again and reinstalling or has the standard sound cards on pc’s stepped up? I need a pc with blu ray reader (could get external for £60) and a dual dvd burner (for 360 could get an external for £25 still) a very decent processer any one with links it will be appreciated

eishh that shits expensive

take a look at this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-Micro-Media-Player/dp/B0046SD2MK/ref=pd_cp_ce_3

little box with usb inputs + hdmi (and scart) output

plug in any usb storage device (or certain memory cards) and connect it to any TV

supports full hd (bunch of diff codecs) and even has a little remote

dont own one myself but a mate does and ive seen it in action. easy to use, and cheap (£36)

theres other similar models with build in hard drives etc

This is just a media player, think he wants a network media player so he play stuff over his network/internet.

Safe Skola saved me tidy sum and that price is a minor. Main thing I am using it for is to run stuff from external drive. So see those video’s on you tube what real player allows you to download it plays these to? Because I gonna start downloading a few music vids and freestyles tonight. Also what is the interface like? Thumbnails or just text (im at work cant search youtube for a demo) it’s a minor if its text as that is just an #imageting any how. Might upgrade to a boxee if I feel the need to but this gizmo looks sufficant.

Also is really worth me getting two Pc’s one for computing and one for music production. Also I have a stand alone sound card from 2003 what I still have in my old music pc is it worth using that again and reinstalling or has the standard sound cards on pc’s stepped up? I need a pc with blu ray reader (could get external for £60) and a dual dvd burner (for 360 could get an external for £25 still) a very decent processer any one with links it will be appreciated

Im not sure you know. All these codecs and sh*t that are appearing lately im not too up to speed on them, it says this:

Video: Container (MKV, AVI, TS / TP, MP4 / MPV , MOV, VOB, PMP, RM / RMVB, MPG,M2TS, FLV, WMV) Codec (MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, XVID, DIVX, H.264, H.263, WMV / VC-1 and RMVB).
if that helps.

The interface is just text I think.

I might cop one of these when I get paid. Theres better versions with built in hard disks etc but if ur downloading to an external then thats not necessary.

I think it's easier/cheaper just to get a PS3 (and Jailbreak it), all of the stuff you've listed/want is either being worked on, like XBMC, and already exists, like ripping movies off of Blu-rays/HDMI & Scart etc. PS3MediaServer is in it's own class if you want stream stuff from your PC.