XBMC / Media players etc.

Yoshie

Someone explain this XBMC thing to me please, seen a few pictures of guys running it off Xbox's and sh*t in their front rooms on AV Forum.

Looks so sick and would be such a step up from playing it off the USB.

/

Does it work with Xbox 360's / Elites and can you run the movies from the hard drive?

/

Want something running like this, but off a hard drive, can't do streaming coz my net's too slow I guess

screenshot008.jpg

I use WD TV Live. I just plug in my 1TB HD and it plays every video format I throw at it. It also supports networking so I can plug it into my router and stream from my PC or go onto YouTube or sh*t like that, I never use that function though. It reads your cover arts and sh*t and there's a big modding community for different skins and that. £75 at Amazon.

There are cheaper alternatives. But they won't have the network ability. I bought my sister a Sumvision Cylone Micro 2. This one doesn't have the whole network function but can read SD cards and of course USB Hard Drives. It can play all the popular files MKV, AVI, MP4, WMV, MOV and deals with HD sh*t as well. The menu screens are bland but if it's just a straight media centre thing you're looking for without having to use your computer then this is perfect. Only £35.

• Upvote 1

XMBC doesnt work with 360 only the old one xbox, which is a shame cos its sick. Open source applications > ____________ some of the themes ars sick

If you wanna stream from you 360 best to use Windows Media Centre and use Yammm - http://mikinho.com/yammm/ for the artwork

Thats what I do for now.

After being on Avforums for a while now, you learn a lot of stuff. Gonna go for a proper media player once ive done doing up my flat.

If your gonna get a media player ensure it can be run over a network, that way you can stream from your pc\mac.

As above WD TV is good, also Popcorn hour is a popular - bit prcey though.

1st port of call would be to decide how you wanna stream your stuff, then look on avfroums for advice\info

img0491ue.jpg

I've got XBMC set up on my dad's jailbroken Apple TV, it's quite nice.. but quite tricky to set up and still a bit buggy but those issues will be sorted with updates..

I would like to try WD TV though..

Apple TV straight out the box you can't add .AVI's and a whole bunch of video files to iTunes, so then you have to jailbreak and install XBMC, i don't recommend it... too much hassle.

Guest Supreme Allah

them 10ft UI shits are nice.

as far as streaming goes, im pretty sure it wont be using your internet connection, itll just be a local network so it should be pretty fast, unless your streaming from lovefilm or something

if you got the bank look into DLNA aswell, the next TV i wanna buy has that so im just tryna see how i can f*ck with that

Practically any USB HD will work up to the space of 2TB.

I've got cover arts and sh*t for my movies and TV shows, all I had to do was just put picture in the folder of the movie and name it the same and it'll appear. If you want a more features such as movie rating, synopsises and all that other sh*t you're gonna have to flash it which is dead easy. I just haven't bothered with it yet.

http://b-rad.cc/wdlxtv-live/

With a bit of information on their forums

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3649

The whole hacking scene is new to me though, I've only just heard of it and don't know how intricate it really is to end up with a nice looking project.

r7off5.jpg

That's mine, basic overlay view with DVD covers taken from Google images or Amazon. With a hacked firmware one you click on the DVD cover you can get fancy sh*t like the plot of the film, the actors and sh*t like that but on my stock firmware once I click on the image it just plays the film which is good enough for me.