Kyle Bartley

Young £

no one keeping tabs on him? i like him first clocked him when rangers played sporting was shocked when i found out he was on loan from arse... apart from the 3-0 defeat to celtic hes been fairly solid, only 19 whos the better propsect him or miguel?hes fully gassed though lol, got that aggressive streak you man been missingwas proper gettin involved in the old firm beef last game aswell http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9412403.stm

There has been a drastic change in the type of centre backs plying their trade with Arsenal over the last fifteen years or so. Whilst the likes of Tony Adams, Martin Keown and the returning Sol Campbell based their game on power and physicality, the new generation of Thomas Vermaelen and William Gallas like to burst forward and hold a considerable goal scoring threat. Combine these two very different types of centre back and the result is Kyle Bartley.The young centre back was born in the Manchester, the city of Arsenal’s arch rivals and began his career with Bolton Wanderers. Bartley impressed with the Trotters academy and attracted interest from Arsene Wenger back in 2007. The centre back eventually made the switch to the Emirates and in his two years with the north London club he has looked like a stunning signing.The 18 year old is a technically gifted for a centre back and at 6ft 3inches tall, is an imposing figure. Needless to say Bartley possess aerial ability and even the strongest of strikers would struggle to overpower the young Englishman. Bartley appeared in all eight games of the F.A Youth Cup for the Gunners academy and acted as somewhat of a stalwart at the back. In true Arsenal fashion, Bartley likes to burst forward and showed his threat in the final third with goals in both the quarter and semi finals of the competition. The centre back was a key figure in a competition for Arsenal and the Gunners were clearly head and shoulders above all other sides in the tournament.Bartley’s performances for the youth side have not only seen the youngster promoted to the reserves but the centre back has been made captain by manager Neil Banfield. Banfield has highlighted the defender as a hot prospect for the future and believes he has what it takes to be a leader. The manager said: “We’re trying to develop leaders and I think Kyle has got the qualities that he can become a leader in a few years. I think as well that some others might go on loan so we like to have a lad here as captain who we know will be here for a while. I think Kyle has worked extremely hard. He has grown as a man and he has grown as a defender too. He is working extremely hard at his game and his performances now are reaping the rewards of hard work.”Having also appeared for the first team in the UEFA Champions League fixture against Olympiakos, the future certainly looks bright for the centre back.
game against sporting in the europa the other week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uSY_ZNVBRA

I assume 1st choice will be Verm and Kos, Djourou 3rd, I think Wenger will keep squid as 4th choice.Could maybe even see Bartley going on loan to a prem club tbh. Depends, if Bartley continues to impress and squid keeps being underwhelming he might get push up the order.

From Rangers forum

Bartley was superb tonight ,my man of the match
great player, can we keep him?
class act
Fantastic big guy looks solid and composed and very unlucky not to score, hope he is looking for another loan deal for next season.19 I think he is aswell, he is going to be some player.
to be honnest was the best player on the pitch tonight for rangershe could be future captain easy hes boosing our back about and does not look out of place
he big guy was brilliant tonight. I reckon he could do a job at Arsenal, but only after another season learning his trade up here with us
agreed, looks the part already, I'm sure he will be an England player within a few years
Think he is a certainty to play for your first team unless he goes the way of a lot of young players in this country but I cant see this lad hitting the drink.He has pace to burn also and given 2 or 3 years could become a real class act.If England have better coming through then that will be a worry.He has settled into our side in a flash and I cant speak highly enough about this lad.
He seems to be enjoying playing for the Rangers, might not want to go back to Arsenal
What i like about him hes commanding and for his age cant be a bad thing
This boy looks a fantastic prospect would like to see him play with bougherra in a back four
Think this boy might be too good for Arsenal.I believe he has the potential to play for us long-term.
Agree with the comments here, very confident but level headed and commanding with it. Big and strong and can only get better.
http://dothebouncy.com/forum/showthread.php?32561-kyle-bartley/page5

• 2 months later...

Kyle BartleyKyle joined Championship side Sheffield United on loan at the start of the season shortly after signing a new long-term contract extension with Arsenal. The powerful defender was a regular fixture in the Blades’ back-line before fracturing his cheekbone during a 1-1 draw with Nottingham Forest at the end of September. He returned to action in November and went on to make 23 appearances before securing a loan switch to Scottish giants Glasgow Rangers on the final day of the January transfer window. Kyle was deployed at the heart of the Rangers midfield and became an instant hit at Ibrox with a number of impressive performances. The 20-year-old made eight starts, scoring once, and was in the thick of the action during a few hotly-contested Old Firm derbies. His campaign ended when he suffered a medial ligament injury during a Europa League clash with PSV Eindhoven in March. "The experience this year was invaluable and I really enjoyed my time,” he told Rangers’ official club website. "All the boys get on really well and they're all great lads.” Ian Appleyard of the Yorkshire Evening Post “He was a regular under Gary Speed, who liked his footballing ability. Unfortunately, when the new manager came in, Micky Adams wanted new qualities from his centre backs and Kyle went to Rangers. “There aren’t too many Sheffield United supporters who would have many bad words to say about him. He looked like a real star of the future and even battled through the pain barrier when he broke his cheekbone and played with a protective mask. “He wasn’t helped by the fact that Chris Morgan got injured. I think the idea was that he would play alongside Morgan but he suffered a bad knee injury in October and missed the rest of the season. So, all of a sudden, Bartley had to carry far more responsibility. But it would have been a great experience for him.” Keith Jackson of the Daily Record “When he first came in January, he didn’t go straight into the team and I think a lot of people were surprised. His first game was against Motherwell at Ibrox on February 12 and when he came into the team he never left it because he was so impressive. He played in central midfield that day, as a defensive anchor, and he wowed the supporters who fell in love with him. “He’s fast, obviously he’s a big, strong boy, he is good in the air and he likes a tackle. But he is also mature beyond his years and you can tell that he has had a great education at Arsenal. Physically, he is ready to cope with anything and he has everything you are looking for in a centre half. “To bring in a kid from Arsenal who threw himself into everything the way he did really impressed the fans. There was one particular game against Celtic at Celtic Park, which has been called ‘the shame game’, where Bartley was involved in a bit of a melee going up the tunnel at half time. Johan Mjallby was having a go at El Hadji Diouf before Bartley stepped in between them and the fans really warmed to the fact that he saw himself as a committed part of the cause. “That was his first game against Celtic and he threw himself into a tackle and got booked about five minutes into the game. I thought to myself ‘well, here’s a test’. I’ve seen it 100 times where a young kid will get an early booking and then either disappear for the rest of the match or get sent off after 20 minutes. But he was as cool as ice, kept his composure and performed like a guy twice his age. “I don’t think anyone up here could speak more highly of him. The general feeling is that Rangers were extremely lucky to get hold of a player like that for six months. They realise that this boy is going to go all the way. I think he really took a buzz from playing for Rangers, who are a big club, in front of 50,000 every week. He connected with the fans and it’s not often you see a kid of that age really connect and have the impact that he did. He’s got the right attitude and he has all the footballing qualities you would expect of a young Arsenal player.”

I expect him to play a role in the first team in 2 years, would of liked to get rid of Squillaci and replace him with Bartley but I doubt Wenger would get rid of him just yet.Bartley should definitely spend another year at Rangers imo.