Lent is coming up

Grafter

My mum normally fasts till a certain time not just during lent, but also around other times during the year (or when she's going through difficult times). I've fasted for several days, but I haven't done it during Lent. If I had put more thought into it I would probably fast through lent.

I do have to stop swearing. I don't do it that much tbh (mainly when I'm driving) but it's not very ladylike, so I'll work on that through Lent.

Its not a catholic thing

members of the Ethiopian orthodox church fast 250 days out of the year

For lent they fast from 12am to 3pm, no intimacy, no dairy, no meat for 40 days

Also for the 40 days and nights he was in the desert Jesus fasted

Lots of Christians fast

catholics are christians, i know its a next thign but they are christians

it doesnt matter if ethiopians are fasting what does that have to do with anything?

im saying that the whole act of fasting just during lent and abstaining from certain foods is superficial

lol@ someone saying "i dont swear when im fasting"..oh so 2 mins after your fast ends its now OK to be swearing

thats what i was talking about. superficial nonsense..

point was that its not only catholics who fast

I never said Catholics aren't christians either

It may seem superficial but you don't know what is in another man's heart

One should always strive to better themselves, not just at lent or during ramadan

fasting and abstaining from things that we enjoy or things that we do thoughtlessly (like swearing) helps us to focus on getting closer to God

when we fast and we experience that hardship, we think about why we are doing it and we seek strength through prayer and meditation so that we can hold that fast

You don't just have to fast at times prescribed by the church, you fast when you like, but religion is what gives structure and particularly in these times when we are busy and tied up in earning a living, trying to survive and being influenced by things which take us away from God's love it is not a bad thing to choose to fast at particular times in the year

• Upvote 1

Roman Catholics urged to give up meat for Lent

The leader of the Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales has called for a return to the tradition of self-sacrifice and abstinence during Lent.

Archbishop of Westminster Vincent Nichols said Catholics should give up meat on Fridays and match self-denial with increased giving to the poor.

He argues that self-sacrifice during Lent, which begins on Wednesday, could help people cope with their busy lives.

A letter expressing his views has been read out at churches in his diocese.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12657101

thats always been the case though, my freind is a strict catholic and shes never eaten meat on a friday, just fish, and there preist urges them to

fast for a whole day once a week..aalthough its voluntery, she does do it, i think its great and shows determination...self belief and courage all in all its a positive thing,

to anyone whos thinking lent is superficial its because your doing it for the wrong reasons.

• Upvote 1

Guest WAVESURFER

I'm giving up Catholicism for Lent.

/

LOL @ Ethiopians claiming they're fasting for 250 days a year. Like they even have a choice in the matter.

• Downvote 1

thats always been the case though, my freind is a strict catholic and shes never eaten meat on a friday, just fish, and there preist urges them to

fast for a whole day once a week..aalthough its voluntery, she does do it, i think its great and shows determination...self belief and courage all in all its a positive thing,

to anyone whos thinking lent is superficial its because your doing it for the wrong reasons.

see once a week for a yr is a next thing..probably more dedication than just how most people do it

/

I'm giving up Catholicism for Lent.

/

LOL @ Ethiopians claiming they're fasting for 250 days a year. Like they even have a choice in the matter.

i think she was trying to say that they do it and have been doing it long before european catholics did