The Runners Society

Guest THEREALTULSE

Holy shit, first time I've been for a run in well over a year. Noticed I was out of shape in terms of my fitness when I was walking The Great Wall Of China, blowing as we were going up a steep part of the wall. So went for a 30 min jog this evening and well I know its going to take time and a lot of me believing I can do it and not giving up.

Looks like a nightly thing now.

Had another go yesterday at the 10k on the treadmill

Eventually ran 11k in just under 55 mins and the 10k split at just over 50 mins.

Was actually surprised considering I have only started training properly for around 2/3 weeks now, before that I wasn't doing much.

Fair enough it was on the treadmill and I know doing the real thing is much harder however its a good platform for me especially at this stage of my training

Anyways im gonna stop running long distances for now and focus more on High intensity interval training mixed with bike/rowing/swimming/core training to increase my overall fitness/stamina/strength

Also I need to shed some weight I recently got measured as having a BMI of 26 and body fat percentage of 25%. Ideally I would like it to be around 18% but to be honest I dont know too much about this,

any advise from u man?

/

@lemons, also waiting for payday myself and im hearing that places are going fast so best not to sit on it.

ur already doing half the work right, just keep up the running. though i think doing anything over 45 minutes is pushing it,

unless you're training for a marathon.

what tends to happen is people blow out, energy levels drop and then they stop for a while and pack on the fat again or never lose what was left to be lost.

do 30-40 minutes and incorporate higher intensity.

you can split your cardio into 20mins steady state (slow paced) and 15-20minutes high intensity

start off slow with 30/10 or even 25/5 (steady state/ high intensity) and increase it till you can manage 20/20

the most you should be doing is a 20/20, 30/10 split anyway. the big difference you develop in these workouts is the intensity level, focus should be on the calories burned not the time.

a good example was how i saw one guy running next to me had been on the treadmill for 47 mins and burned about 400 calories,

i was right next to him doing my own circuit and in 25 mins i had burnt 380,

use the default programs on the treadmill and just increase the intensity over time.

change it up by using the rowing and bike machines.

the other half to sort out is your diet, and to build muscle in place of the burnt bodyfat.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went out did 3k on saturday

1.7 today

this is what happens when you dont run for a few months lads lol

SMH

i dont think i can even do that now... i got mad lazy and because we dont play football anymore i feel i dont have the motivation.. i remember i was banging out 3-5k every other morning and doing light cardio sh*t on the days between....now i do NOTHING...NOTHING AT ALL

I'm thinking of buying either a Nike+ Watch or Sport band.

Once i do have either of these, is Nike+ free to use or are there subscription fee's etc?

Also anyone that is using it, is it any good and worth using in your opinion?

Yeah its free.

Well my watch I gotta send back... Lol. As its not connecting with my connect.

Its a good tracker.

What do you mean its not connecting with your connect?

I'm thinking of buying this one, do you need a sensor as well? I swear, i've read up on these but all is not really explained to clearly, from what i gathered you dont need a sensor but im still unsure.

http://www.johnlewis.com/231286814/Product.aspx

Is that the same watch as you have?

Yeah thats the one.

Basically after a run/s you connect the watch to your computer and it takes all the information off it. You can view it all, distance, speed, calories, set challenges, monitor progress, etc...

Now for a month or so mine, well less, mine worked fine, however now it doesnt take the info off the watch into Nike Connect+, so I just got a bunch ofdata stuck on the watch, basically my pc doesnt recognise the watch anymore in any of my USB ports and when you go on the Nike complaints site, your see I'm far from the only one... So it must be something with the watches...

Comes with a sensor, and you probably have sensor(s) from some previous Nike trainers anyway...

Your need the sensor if your indoors/on a treadmill, if your outside the GPS tracking is better.

• 4 weeks later...

lol

aasics

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I've entered myself to run in a 10k. It's not until the end of May but i'm not a natural runner as such, i'm going to start training from Saturday, which gives me little under 4 months to get in as good a shape as possible. I'm aiming to run it sub 50, if i could get into the low 40's that would be brilliant..  I've registered to Park Run and am going to start going to my local events every weekend, anyone got any good training tips or methods?

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yeah I forgot to update this thread

I did run the London 10k last year and end up getting 55 mins which wasnt all that but was ok for my first attempt

Didnt really train that hard to be honest, I never did migrate to running outside from the treadmill and I started to loath the treadmill as well so stopped that.

Did go to the Nike town running club run once which goes round regents park a couple of times, think the distance was 7 miles and did it around 1 hr 15

Come race day it was pissing down with rain and I already needed to go piss badly by the time I was on the start line. Once the race started it was basically dodgems trying to get past stupid females that enter the race to boost their egos but end up walking the track. By the time I got to 7k I felt like I wanted to puke but I never stopped

Was thinking of doing it again but This year focusing on football, will skip this year and go hard for 2014. Will aim for sub 40 mins no compromise

• 4 months later...