Midsomer Murders Is Popular 'Cause Theres No Negroes

Guest Supreme Allah

Guest Supreme Allah
Midsomer Murders Embroiled In Race Row

The producer of the long-running TV series hit Midsomer Murders has been suspended after saying part of the show's appeal is an absence of ethnic minorities.

Brian True-May, the drama's co-creator, who has been with it since day one, said in an interview that the shows - which have run for 14 series - "wouldn't work" if there was any racial diversity in the village life.

"We just don't have ethnic minorities involved. Because it wouldn't be the English village with them. It just wouldn't work. Suddenly we might be in Slough.

"Ironically, Causton (one of the main centres of population in the show) is supposed to be Slough. And if you went into Slough you wouldn't see a white face there.

"We're the last bastion of Englishness and I want to keep it that way," he added.

ITV was quick to condemn Mr True-May's remarks.

"We are shocked and appalled at these personal comments by Brian True-May which are absolutely not shared by anyone at ITV," a spokesman said.

"We are in urgent discussions with All3Media, the producer of Midsomer Murders, who have informed us that they have launched an immediate investigation into the matter and have suspended Mr True-May pending the outcome."

The co-creator has also banned swearing, violence and sex scenes from the show, although his idyllic formula does not stop challenging storylines, or other elements of diversity which do not involve ethnicity.

"If it's incest, blackmail, lesbianism, homosexuality... terrific, put it in, because people can believe that people can murder for any of those reasons," he said.

Midsomer Murders, based on the books by Caroline Graham and starring - until just recently - John Nettles, launched in 1997 and has featured 251 deaths, 222 of which were murders.

The series returns this week with a new star, Neil Dudgeon, who has joined the cast as DCI John Barnaby, replacing actor John Nettles (DCI Tom Barnaby) as the central character.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbiz-News/Midsomer-Murders-Producer-Brian-True-May-Suspended-Over-Ethnic-Minorities-Comments/Article/201103315952539?lpos=Showbiz_News_First_UK_News_Article_Teaser_Region_3&lid=ARTICLE_15952539_Midsomer_Murders_Producer_Brian_True-May_Suspended_Over_Ethnic_Minorities_Comments

dunno why he's suspended cos he's probably right (when i read this morning he wasnt), I dont watch the show anyway its f*ckin sh*t.

but, right wing gonna lap this up like u cant speak your mind blah blah makin sure they drop a few "Paki"'s here and there and how English people are second class citizens in their own country yada yada

Guest Esquilax

It is a f*ck*ng boring show, but I see what he's getting at

Having an ethnically diverse cast every episode wouldn't fit with the shows format

I see no reason not to include the odd country black/ asian though

Guest Klitschko

Wait, 222 murders since 1997 and he's saying there are no negroes there?

I'm not buying it.

I came in to say something mildly funny but it wasn't as good as this so I won't bother.

• Upvote 3

Yeah this is blatantly obvious to anyone who watches these shows. The casting directors should take a lot of the blame as well as they are the gatekeepers. But with an eye on selling the all white on the night view of the UK to foreign TV companies this sh*t will continue.

When even our best black actors had to go to the states to get work. You know something up. It's interesting as while TV is pretty scared of taking risks especially with their big shows. The theater is booming with ethnic actors sometimes in colour blind casting.

Does anyone remember 'Desmonds' or 'The Cosby Show'.

I can't remember any complaints about them.

Why oh why must people apologise for showing life like it is.

Sigh....

:P

first episode of next seasons Mid Summer Murders to feature a black guy strolling through the village at the beginning and get killed within 5 minutes.

Thats what I'd do if I was him. A big middle finger up to the pseudo-multicultural police that we have today.