'Postive' Discrimination For Black English Managers?

Mame Biram Diouf

Black British managers need extra help - Gordon Taylor

Paul Ince is one of only two Black managers in England's top leagues

Black British managerial hopefuls should be interviewed for vacant posts as of right to tackle discrimination in football, according to Gordon Taylor.

The Professional Footballers' Association chief said he would back the introduction of a new regulation modelled on the NFL's 'Rooney Rule'.

Under this rule, teams must interview minority candidates for senior posts.

Paul Ince of Notts County and Chris Powell of Charlton are the only black bosses currently at league clubs.

Taylor told BBC 5 Live: "I find it astonishing that we can import the likes of Jean Tigana and Ruud Gullit and there's no problem, but our own lads who have grown up in this country have not been given a chance to be fairly represented."

Taylor said the 'Rooney Rule' had "without a shadow of a doubt made a difference" since it was introduced in the NFL in 2003.

"We have got to learn from other sports and other countries, and we saw how many top quality Black gridiron players there were and how few Black coaches," he said.

"But they came in with that rule and it's made a difference, and now it's become assimilated into the culture of the NFL."

Taylor said, though, that he would only support the introduction of a similar rule in English football if he "felt encouraged by all my black players or black players who are qualified coaches and feel they have not been given proper opportunities".

THE 'ROONEY RULE'

Named after Pittsburgh Steelers chairman Dan Rooney

Teams must interview at least one minority candidate for top positions

In 2003, the Detroit Lions were fined $200,000 for breaking the rule

"If we get more players like Chris Powell who are prepared to go for it and not expect a top job, that's what we need to try and encourage," he added.

Powell, the former England left-back, was named as manager of Charlton in January, after a spell as coach and, for one game, caretaker manager at Leicester.

Ince, the former Manchester United and England midfielder, has had mixed fortunes during a longer managerial career.

He learnt his trade at Manfield before leading Milton Keynes Dons to a Football League Trophy final victory in March 2008 and to the League Two title a month later.

Ince then became the first black British manager in England's top division when he joined Blackburn Rovers in June 2008 - though he did not hold a UEFA pro licence.

However, he was was sacked after six months in charge and three wins in 17 games, and returned to MK Dons in July 2009. He subsequently resigned in April 2010 and joined Notts County six months later.

Taylor said Ince should have been fully qualified when he took the Blackburn post, but added: "I spoke to Richard Scudamore [the chief executive of the FA Premier League] and said 'we've got to give him a chance, we have promised that we'll fast-track him and get him qualified'.

"I said 'we don't want to make a scene about it but we would do if we needed to'.

"But he said, 'Gordon, I agree, we will do all we can'."

Ince said it was "really hard to comprehend" that would-be managers could lose out on jobs because of their colour.

But it would also be hard for him, as an experienced manager, to raise this as an issue if he was unsuccessful.

"Are people going to listen to that or just think that's sour grapes because he didn't get the job," he said.

Would it work in our environment? PC stunt? Should we just go with the best man for the job?

Unfortunately the fewer black managers there are, i feel the fewer the game attracts.

Stupid idea IMO trust a white man to think he has a solution to a black problem

Not a fan of handouts either if they are good enough they will get the good jobs surely

There does not seem to even be a large amount of black managers in the lower leagues, is this because a lack of interest? or is it really due to racism?

Paul Ince had a chance at Blackburn and wrote shoot on a piece of paper that is not going to look good on any CV and Powell has only really started off at Charlton

Seems like amount of black managers wont increase till the current generation age and go into management like Ferdinand etc

Guest Klitschko

On a global scale there are very few black managers.

However, this idea is stupid. Worse than using that Sian Massey as a vehicle for womens rights in football.

i remember watching a documentary about 10 years ago where Vassel and Dublin were saying there aint enough black managers/coaches because of RACISM.....and how hopefully in 10 years a lot would of changed

SNM

/

there's a piece of commentary from the 70s think one of the world cups.... where a player gets hacked down in the box TWO footed, one of those 8 game ban ones and the commentator says "GOOD TACKLE NO FOUL THERE" and everyone in the studio bar one guy maybe jack Charlton agrees with him..... thats how i feel racism is like in this country....everyone is watching it happen in there face and just out right denying it.

/

on a global scale there are alot more black managers then you think

Guest Portuguese

i remember watching a documentary about 10 years ago where Vassel and Dublin were saying there aint enough black managers/coaches because of RACISM.....and how hopefully in 10 years a lot would of changed

SNM

/

there's a piece of commentary from the 70s think one of the world cups.... where a player gets hacked down in the box TWO footed, one of those 8 game ban ones and the commentator says "GOOD TACKLE NO FOUL THERE" and everyone in the studio bar one guy maybe jack Charlton agrees with him..... thats how i feel racism is like in this country....everyone is watching it happen in there face and just out right denying it.

/

on a global scale there are alot more black managers then you think

Obviously there is many in Africa

the ones who stick out are Keshi/The Nigerian guy who coaches Nigeria at the ACN only to be parred when it comes to the World Cup

Then there is Rijkaard IMHO the best one I have seen so far

Gullit has been terrible since leaving Chelsea

Antoine Kombouaré of PSG has potential

The ones in England are lower league managers nothing more

Guest Portuguese

Black managers are like Black goal keepers :(

apart from Thomas Nkono apparently the greatest black goalkeeper of all time(his Buffon's idol :Y::Y: )

But have been blessed elsewhere

Defenders

Thuram

Desailly

Kuffour

DM's

Makelele

Rijkaards

Desailly

Essien

Ince

Davids

Vieira

AM's

Okocha

Seedorf

Tigana

Gullit

Abedi Pele

Wingers

Jairzinho

Barnes

Forwards

Pele

Weah

Eto'o

Henry

Drogba

Eusebio

Kluivert

Yeo Martial the last black manager to win a major international tournament he won the 1992 African Nations with Ivory Coast.

SNM

I watched that docu too, at the time I actually thought it would change but 6 years ago the thought perished when something happened with my brother who was signed by Man C.

there's a piece of commentary from the 70s think one of the world cups.... where a player gets hacked down in the box TWO footed, one of those 8 game ban ones and the commentator says "GOOD TACKLE NO FOUL THERE" and everyone in the studio bar one guy maybe jack Charlton agrees with him..... thats how i feel racism is like in this country....everyone is watching it happen in there face and just out right denying it./

clapping.gif

It happens every second on a global scale.

• Upvote 1

Guest M12 Part 2

How many black managers are really STUDENTS of the game tho...

stfu

you telling me mark hughes was a student of the game, or chris coleman or roy keane or ian dowie or anyone else who stopped playing and immediately stepped into the game as a manager at the top level DPMO

• Upvote 4

Don't worry chaps, I will be a top coach in 25 years..

I will also lead an Aff side to a World Cup

I believe in the passing game, the fair players, the classic no.10 & also appreciate the physical n aggressive elements of the game, dnt worry i got u

• Upvote 1

All well being Anelka me old chap but this thread is about black managers.....

Lol good 1

/

Black managers cant be that crap, I spose this law might help, but every1 knows football aint what you know tis who you know

I mean ive worked with some brilliant black coaches, Danny Bailey, Eddie Newton, some guy at Leyton Orient who was a winger, cnt memba his name, but all really good

How many black managers are really STUDENTS of the game tho...

stfu

you telling me mark hughes was a student of the game, or chris coleman or roy keane or ian dowie or anyone else who stopped playing and immediately stepped into the game as a manager at the top level DPMO

No, when did I say they was students of the game... Roy Keane is a sh*t manager, as are others, so not really seeing your point...

They got their jobs due to their profile and the relationships they obviously had within the game. Ironically, Paul Ince (who has just left Notts County) only had his jobs cos of his profile TOO.

Bringing up sh*t managers as a argument for more ex-pro black managers is equally pointles, WTF.

Guest Klitschko

HIs point was numerous white ex footballers have gotten top level jobs based on the strength of their reputation/playing career/position within the game

But Black players haven't taken the same route, and one that did (Ince) publically stated it was hard because he was black

You can either assume that

1. Ex black players have very little interest in managing

2. There is another reason why they either do not succeeed or do not apply

Given that #1 does sound a little ridiculous, and I myself have experienced how 'old fashioned' attitudes are at the higher levels of grassroots football...I am inclined to lean toward #2.

• Upvote 1