A Solution?

Guest Supreme Allah

Guest Supreme Allah

right, i wanna get a box in about 2 months for cardsharing, now one of them says its PVR ready, but needs an external USB drive.

around the same time i want to build a, dont even know there called, NAS server? loads of drives in one system connected to the network.

soooo, im thinking of how to make the box use the NAS drives (or just one or something depending on how i configure it)

wireless USB at the back? the NAS will be connected to the router so all computers have access to the files, may need like a USB server, i think i saw one that connects to the router, but how will that then be connected to the NAS, might have to be WUSB > WUSB Hub > Router, this is where i get stuck, no idea how to make them all work together.

I dunno Ill just leave it and try figure it out tommorow

Guest Arcángel de Jesús Montoya

right, i wanna get a box in about 2 months for cardsharing, now one of them says its PVR ready, but needs an external USB drive.

around the same time i want to build a, dont even know there called, NAS server? loads of drives in one system connected to the network.

soooo, im thinking of how to make the box use the NAS drives (or just one or something depending on how i configure it)

wireless USB at the back? the NAS will be connected to the router so all computers have access to the files, may need like a USB server, i think i saw one that connects to the router, but how will that then be connected to the NAS, might have to be WUSB > WUSB Hub > Router, this is where i get stuck, no idea how to make them all work together.

Some boxes such as the "Dreambox's" allow you to use a unc path for recording instead of a hard drive on the actual device or USB external. So you could have the recording going into the share on your PC/NAS or whatever.

Also what do you mean by a NAS server, (you going to purposely built / buy a machine just for this?)

Just get a NAS device. QNAP or Drobo comes to mind for over zelus storage. Obviously the more the cash the better the kit.

Guest Supreme Allah

Some boxes such as the "Dreambox's" allow you to use a unc path for recording instead of a hard drive on the actual device or USB external. So you could have the recording going into the share on your PC/NAS or whatever.

Also what do you mean by a NAS server, (you going to purposely built / buy a machine just for this?)

Just get a NAS device. QNAP or Drobo comes to mind for over zelus storage. Obviously the more the cash the better the kit.

got a few drives lying around, gonna buy new ones and put them in a case then throw freeNAS on that http://freenas.org/features, just need a few extra sata ports.

that sounds promising though imma look into creating a UNC path, props

Guest Arcángel de Jesús Montoya

got a few drives lying around, gonna buy new ones and put them in a case then throw freeNAS on that http://freenas.org/features, just need a few extra sata ports.

that sounds promising though imma look into creating a UNC path, props

The unc is just the share path. So would be the quickest to create. e.g \\nasserver\david\secretstash\pr0n Just need to check that the box you get will support mounting a share path instead of a physical drive. That is all.

• 4 months later...

forgot to say thanks.

another Q I have, I wanna throw in mixed drives in the NAS, for like film, music, photos etc, so theyre gonna be different sizes, can I setup RAID 1 (mirror) on each section? (2 drives for film, 2 drives for music etc) or does the RAID affect every single drive? deffo going with FreeNAS now, gonna use my old hardware, but buy new drives, cant trust these.

I think Im tryna do too much

Raid will affect all drives in the array configuration. RAID1 for redundancy but it also means that if you have two drives. Let's say 1 is 250GB and the other is 200GB. If you set up RAID1 then the smallest drive space will be used in the mirror which in this case for example. It will be 200GB across the mirror

Use RAID0 for speed and maximum capacity on all drives in the array. However there's fault tolerance on RAID0 so if one drive fails in the array that's your whole data GONE.

The best of both worlds & is RAID10 which is basically 1+0

Hope this sorts of gets you started. It's not the best info I can give at this time on my miniature phone screen but I trust it helps.

Any questions feel free

10 looks like a good option, props

will prob come back when I have the equipment n im confused

does RAID10 support hotswapping?

Yes it should. All dependent on the raid chipset and drives ofcoz. Just go Drobo or QNap if you're looking for Storage only and already have a good PC\Server.

Not saying FreeNAS is rubbish but as long as you're outlay for that ain't too expensive as the others.