Anelka isn't as stupid as he sounds. Sometimes.

Michel Kane

Joey-Barton-007.jpg

Newcastle United's Joey Barton has said England will "never win" the World Cup, and dismissed Gareth Barry's role in the midfield as evidence of a lack of talent.

"France killed us at Wembley," Barton said. "We English will play the next 50 World Cups and we'll never win one. The people in charge at the FA played football maybe 50 or 60 years ago and still think that we can win a World Cup in the same way we did in 1966.

"We're too focused on tradition in England, like always having to play 4-4-2. Sometimes you need to experiment, drop a bit deeper so you have more space to move into. France, Italy and Germany have done it. We've been doing the same thing for 20 years," he added in an interview with the French So Foot magazine.

Barton won just one England cap, in 2007 against Spain, but still believes he has a role to play in Fabio Capello's team: "Honestly, I think I'm the best [English midfielder]. Luka Modric and Samir Nasri are very good, but in terms of English players ... Well, Jack Wilshere isn't bad, but Frank Lampard's on the way down and Steven Gerrard's been injured a lot."

He backed this argument, with criticism of Gareth Barry: "Did you see the game against Germany at the World Cup? If you watch the fourth goal, when [Mesut] Ozil was up against Barry, it was like the hare and the tortoise.

"Barry's got a very good agent. He's also discreet and always agrees with the manager. He's like the guy who sits in the front row and listens to the teacher. I certainly don't lose any sleep when I play against him."

He also emphasised the 2-1 defeat to France in November: "Look at Jordan Henderson [against France]," he said. "He was up against [Yann] M'Vila, [Mathieu] Valbuena, Nasri and [Yoann] Gourcuff. And he had Gareth Barry alongside him. What could they do against those players?

Nonetheless the player remains keen to lend a hand to Capello: "I'm English and I love playing for my country. Maybe the people at the top have a problem with me. I don't know. But the trouble I had was four years ago. They should be able to forgive, shouldn't they?" he said.

Barton also had a word of warning for his club as they attempt to thrash out a deal to keep him at St James' Park. The 28-year-old was understood to be ready to put pen to paper on a new deal in January when Tyneside was stunned as the striker Andy Carroll was sold to Liverpool for £35m.

He and the and club have repeatedly spoken of their hopes of striking a deal since, although they are currently at odds over the length of the proposed contract. However, the player says he will only stay if he feels the club is moving forward.

"I told them I might stay this summer because we have some good players and money to spend," added Barton. "But I'm going to wait and see if players like Kevin Nolan, Cheick Tioté and José Enrique stay. If Nolan signs a new deal, I will as well. But I hope the club step things up. I want to be ambitious and I think the club share that desire."

/

He's a prick, but yeah, I'd take him. But bar Wilshere & arguably Parker, what English midfielder has been better?

Been sick this year considering hes been playing right midfield a lot

smart guy knows wha gwarn tactically and ive never heard an english player talk sense like that apart from carragher

>>>>>The FA

beg someone just comes out and exposes them

• Upvote 1

He makes a lot of valid points (the bit about Barry doing exactly what the manager tells him is spot on, although that's not necessarily a bad thing). But the idiocy of it is ridiculous. He's had enough chances and I don't think he should get back in the England side but he is quality.

Guest Klitschko

Gave me lols it's the wrong way to go about things though. Has been very good this season even though is form has dipped as of late.

Interestingly (for NUFC fans) he wasn't just outspoken about other players, he was outspoken against the board. Interestingly he says if Tiote/Enrique etc leave then so will he, it's pretty evident Luis Enrique is waiting for a CL placed club to come in for him...so it will inevitably lead to Bartons departure.

Arsenal should bid bth.

Was it Barton's brother that axed the black kid in the head?

Realness runs in the family.

You have clearly gotten to comfortable...

_41024240_anthonywalker_pa.jpg

_41073464_iceaxe203_pa.jpg

Home Office pathologist Dr Brian Rodgers told the court the axe had smashed a 5.5cm-wide (2.1in) hole into Anthony's skull, penetrating his brain.

Marcus and Louise escaped, but Taylor caught up with Anthony and drove the ice axe into his skull, the court heard.

Outside court, Detective Chief Superintendent Peter Currie, of Merseyside Police, said: "A young man with his girlfriend and cousin minding their own business, doing absolutely nothing wrong, subjected to a torrent of racist abuse, they go to another bus stop... everything they did was right but it ultimately turned out wrong.

SMFH