The GOD Like Status Given To Mourinho

Mame Biram Diouf

• 2 months later...

Chelsea's Jose Mourinho, the 'Godfather’ of Premier League managers

jose_mourinho_2622939e.jpg

By Jeremy Wilson, in Kuala Lumpur11:00PM BST 19 Jul 2013

Headlines and labels have followed Jose Mourinho throughout his Chelsea career. He arrived as the ‘Special One’, returned as the ‘Happy One’ and it was put to him on Friday that his past success coupled with the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson will now make him the ‘Godfather’ of Premier League managers.

Headlines and labels have followed Jose Mourinho throughout his Chelsea career. He arrived as the ‘Special One’, returned as the ‘Happy One’ and it was put to him that his past success coupled with the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson will now make him the ‘Godfather’ of Premier League managers.

Mourinho’s first reaction was to shrug his shoulders but, by the end of an hour-long interview in which he noted that he was “the only European champion” working in England, he was sold on the idea. “I am going to be the Godfather,” he said, smiling as he rejoined his coaching staff at the club’s Malaysian training resort. Like any good Don, Mourinho had earlier also made it clear that sentiment will play no part in his decision-making and, for arguably the most senior member of his Chelsea ‘family’, there was a warning.

With John Terry now in the final year of his contract, Mourinho was asked whether his captain’s future was “safe” with him back as manager. “No,” he said.

“He's not safe and he knows he's not safe. The only thing he knows is safe is our friendship. But professionally nobody's safe.

"We spoke about it and he understands perfectly. We have a saying in Portugal, ‘friends are friends, but business is apart’. I cannot make him become protected or favourite in front of someone else. His class is there. I know he's a very good player, but he has to prove himself like everybody else.”

Mourinho, it should be remembered, had once referred to Terry as one of the “untouchable” members of his team.

He stressed on Friday that players could again reach such an elevated status but that “they don't just get the stamp because I want them to be; they get there themselves”. That will take time but, after two weeks working with this squad, opinions are becoming crystallised.

He remains determined to add Wayne Rooney and another bid will be made for the Manchester United striker.

He talked on Friday of the difference between “space strikers” and “box strikers” and believes that he lacks someone whose main quality is to drop into tight positions and play with the ball at their feet.

Where all this leaves Fernando Torres, Chelsea’s record signing, is the obvious question but Mourinho is adamant that he does not want any player sales. Mourinho’s conversations with

Torres have so far been consigned to telling him to forget about football until he returns from holiday on July 28 but he was still candid about the 29-year-old’s limitations and strengths. “I think I know the best way for a team to play to try to get the best out of him so I will try to help him,” said Mourinho.

“I think he's a striker more comfortable when he has space to get behind defenders. He has it more difficult when opponents are very close, when opponents are compact and when he has to play in small spaces.”

Asked if Torres can be a £50 million striker again, Mourinho said: “I think when Chelsea plays with that philosophy he can. Against some kinds of team he will be more comfortable, against others he will be less comfortable.”

The inference is that Mourinho will target specific matches for Torres, although he did say that his planning for all players would be dictated by the opposition.

Opinions are also being formed about other squad members. Mourinho says the team’s style will be shaped by the intricate attacking variations of Juan Mata, Oscar, Eden Hazard, Kevin de Bruyne and Victor Moses in a 4-2-3-1 system.

He prefers Branislav Ivanovic at right back rather than central defence. He does not want to add to the central midfield options of Frank

Lampard, Michael Essien, John-Obi Mikel, Ramires and Marco van Ginkel. Most striking of all, David Luiz’s credentials at centre-back also received a glowing, if still qualified, endorsement.

“For me, Luiz is a central defender,” said Mourinho. “I think he has an important quality for the football we want to play, which is to build. He's comfortable using the ball from the back.

"In this aspect, he's very important and different from the other central defenders. He can improve, everybody can. From a defensive point of view, he can be much more effective, much more solid. But, for me, the potential is incredible, amazing. He has to play always.”

Mourinho knows that the focus on Chelsea’s style will be intense, particularly as the sometimes functional approach of his previous team was a factor in him losing his job.

Following seven managerial changes since he left in 2007, Mourinho also knows that owner Roman Abramovich will put business before friendship in decisions about Chelsea and his own future.

“The point is not to be patient, the point is to be intelligent, and he [Abramovich] is,” said Mourinho.

“One team that was built many years ago is disappearing and we’re facing the new situation of Financial Fair Play so the club went in another direction, investing in new players to have a young squad. If you want to

win trophies and be successful you need stability. We cannot be changing our philosophy, our methodology, our way of playing, our way of thinking every six months.

“The profile of the job is different. I’m working now with a squad whose best years are to come. They have big space in their grey matter, lots of neurons free, and ready to absorb.

“It's difficult to be champion playing bad football. It is difficult to score lots of goals with bad football. It is difficult to be very strong defensively with bad football.

We have some players in the attacking areas, especially the three behind the striker, with great talent. Technically very very good, so we have to play adapted to their qualities.”

It all sounds rather different to the powerful counter-attacking style of Mourinho’s previous Chelsea team but new challenges do also await.

Mourinho believes that there are as many as six teams contending for the Premier League title and he noted that Manchester City have now replaced Chelsea as the English football’s big spenders.

“City just bought four important players that can improve their fantastic squad,” he said. “In my first time you were always putting pressure on me saying: ‘You buy this, you spend that, you buy the title’. So I hope now it is on the other side. It’s always difficult to win.”

Mourinho also stressed that David Moyes would benefit greatly from the winning mentality that is already ingrained at Manchester United and pointed out that it was something he previously installed at Chelsea.

“I trained at Harrington [now QPR’s base] and the trophy Chelsea had from the previous season was the Malaysian Cup,” said Mourinho.

“Now Chelsea is a big club. Now it is about adapting a structure to your needs, before it was to build a structure. One of the most difficult things in the club is to create a victory culture. David is in a big club and that is a big help. I think he is experienced. When he finished fourth or fifth with Everton, it’s a trophy.”

Mourinho even ducked the chance to take a potshot at Arsenal’s Arsène Wenger, whose last trophy was in 2005. “It is their philosophy and, for some reason, they do it,” he said. “For sure he is doing a good job. I think they will be strong. They will sign players. I think they are contenders.”

Such diplomacy is a departure for Mourinho but he clearly does feel genuine responsibility in joining Wenger as one of the elder statesmen of the

Premier League. Mourinho even stressed that had no issue sharing his various dossiers on coaching and management with his colleagues or rivals.

There was, however, the caveat that no one could put a USB stick “in my brain” and download the knowledge. “It is true I’m one of the guys with more time in football,” he said. “I won all the English competitions so maybe I have a bit more responsibility. Probably I have that situation added on my shoulders.

“I’m happy to be the first to be supportive of the British managers because in this country they have to be important, more important than ourselves.

"I have a CV, I have a status and I think they also feel I’m one of them in spite of my passport being different. Probably I have to be an example for everybody in many aspects.”

Asked if that included his own conduct (Mourinho’s past controversies almost outweigh his victories), he added: “Everything, conduct and support, being there for everyone when for some reason they need me. I have to answer in a positive way.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/10191649/Chelseas-Jose-Mourinho-the-Godfather-of-Premier-League-managers.html

*puts Luiz in fantasy league team*

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

i can imagine 1 or 2 in the press being on suicide watch if mourinho gets sacked before avb

would be great

Speaking before his side's clash at home to Southampton, Mourinho said: 'Romelu likes to speak. He's a young boy who likes to speak. But the only thing he didn't say is why he went to Everton on loan. 

'That's the only thing he never says. And my last contact with him was to tell him exactly that. Why do you never say why you are not here? So it's something he should (talk about) because he likes to speak. 

'It's something he should say, the reason why he's not with Chelsea and is in Everton.'

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

reh 

JM - Are you going to fight for your place.

RL - Not if I can start somewhere else.

Jose like's players who will stand up for themselves.

It's also the difference between signing young defenders/GK's or big lads who won't be close to there best untill there mid 20's and players like Hazard/Oscar who already have most of there tools in there lockers and can fit straight in the team.

• 1 year later...