Battery Life Preservation

Lens

Heard rumours here and there, about the best way to keep Your battery life at its highest, but nothing solid

Been told letting the battery completely die before recharging is the best way

and been told i should take it off the charger as soon as its full

any other advice from the electronics dons

( applies to any rechargeable battery, but phone battery esp )

You don't need to condition batteries these days.

Letting it drain completely is actually bad for the battery

Lastly, I'm pretty sure all modern phones have a over charging protection system. Once it reaches 100% the phone will stop charging, once it drops to say 97% it will start charging again.

with my iphone and the one before it, battery life is always an issue.

i charge mine every couple of days simply because it needs it, but when i used to rock my samsung and nokias it would be an every 3 day thing anyway so really, not much of an issue.

i personally always let them drain right down (but not to zero if it can be helped, only been caught out once so far) then give them a proper charge, once its 100% get it off charge asap, none of this "charge through the night business"

With anything that uses a recharging mechanism, it will soon die with age after a few several hundred life cycles. For example with my laptop, I remove the battery and run it off the mains, but every 2-3 weeks I put the battery in to discharge and recharge it so it don't ruin it. It used to be a major case with NiCd batteries referred to as memory effect, hence the reason we now have Li-ion batteries.

With phones its different as I believe by the time your battery becomes knackered, you would have either got an upgrade, or brought a new handset.

One thing that makes me laugh is when people at carphone warehouse or a shop similar tell you to charge your newly brought phone for 16 hours before using it, this is purely a myth as they would have been configured before leaving the factory.