Champions League Final 2011 Build up thread

anelka

I think ths thread is needed tbhSome are saying tis current FC Barcelona side are one of the best teams to ever do this, I for one am fascinated to see how Fergie is going to approach thisPost articles, ur team selections, inj news etc in here and then lock this when the game is near of something

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has the perfect opportunity to avenge the 2009 Champions League final defeat by Barcelona - but he must get his tactics absolutely spot on if he wants to lift the trophy for the third time in his managerial career.And inevitably, the key to victory is how United deal with Lionel Messi, along with Sergio Busquets.In 2009, Samuel Eto'o, who normally played centre forward, started on the right while Messi theoretically played centre forward.Only he didn't play up front, he played in midfield. It left centre-backs Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand marking nobody with Barcelona totally outnumbering Manchester United in central midfield.Michael Carrick was totally lost that night - he didn't know whether to pick up Messi, Andres Iniesta or Xavi Hernandez as Barcelona took total control of midfield.United will have to consider that prospect once again should Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola adopt the same tactic at Wembley. How would Vidic and Ferdinand cope second time around?Barcelona hardly ever pass the ball more than 10 yards to a team-mate. The great Johan Cruyff, who won 11 trophies in an illustrious career as Barcelona manager, told me something very interesting during a visit to FC Twente when I was manager there. He said: "Do you know how Barcelona win the ball back so quickly? It's because they don't have to run back more than 10 metres as they never pass the ball more than 10 metres." They are always so close to the ball.To counteract this, Manchester United need to play at a high tempo, to beat the press and get at the Barca back four.In the first 10 minutes of the 2009 final they did this very well, playing at a high tempo and matching their opponents' work-rate.They pressed so high, Barcelona were practically inside their own box, forcing them to abandon their game of neat passes in favour of longer balls.But Barcelona eventually found a way around the United press and once they do that, the doubts begin to creep into the opposition's minds.Some United players pressed, some didn't and from that moment on, they were lost. The key is staying compact, no matter if the back four is on the edge of the box or the half-way line.Inter Milan did something similar by staying compact and pressuring as a team in last season's semi-final victory.For me, the key player United have to stop is Busquets. I've looked at the passing statistics and Busquets has the ball more than any other Barcelona player, even more than Xavi and Iniesta.And the key man for United here will be Wayne Rooney, who could play as a "semi-midfield" player behind Javier Hernandez with the responsibility of "dropping in" on Busquets when he has the ball.When Sir Alex has given Rooney that added responsibility but he isn't playing with the discipline Sir Alex wants, the manager moves him to the left and shifts Ryan Giggs into that number 10 position because the experienced winger has more discipline, control and intelligence to execute that role. Rooney is quickly learning from that.I watched him closely in the Champions League quarter-final matches against Chelsea when he pressurised Michael Essien and stopped him playing as United dominated the midfield.That was the intelligence and discipline that Rooney needs to play in that number 10 position to stop Busquets from dictating play.The other way United can beat Barcelona is on the transition [the break], something they do very well with the dual threat of Hernandez and Rooney.Barcelona's defence are vulnerable to a fast counter-attack - Arsenal nearly scored a vital goal with 10 men at the Nou Camp with a Nicklas Bendtner chance on the transition.United must follow Arsenal's example and play a high defensive line, keep compact, deny space and attempt to hit Barcelona on the quick transition, that five or six seconds from one end to the other.They have to be brave - Arsenal were risky and nearly did it. Manchester United can do it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13288954.stm

Ferguson is planning to speak to Real boss Jose Mourinho in his quest to avenge United's 2-0 defeat by Barcelona in the 2009 final in Rome."I speak to him [Mourinho] quite a lot," added Ferguson. "I spoke to him last week."I think we will depend on our own knowledge of Barcelona. It's not as if we haven't seen them before. We've watched them many times this season."But the experience Real Madrid have from Jose's angle, you always take information from him like that because he is very helpful in that way."When asked if he would have chosen to play Barcelona to earn revenge, Ferguson replied: "We'd choose Brechin City or somebody like that. No disrespect to Brechin City, I love that wee club."I think we'll be quite well prepared for that game [the final]."
/Also I see what that person on here meant when he claimed the Da Silva twins were key to beating Barca, i woudnt go that far but they are very good at pressing and have high energy, at least 1 could have a major role
  • Upvote 1

Guest FA23

gonna be very interesting who fergie is gonna play as the anchorman/men..... its times like these when united fans wish hargreaves wasnt crocked.got to be fletcher really.

While we are weaker individually then two years ago I feel we are a better team unit and much more organized especially at the back.We can do thisTactics need to be completely on point and everyone to a man needs to have the game of there lives.

• Upvote 2

Guest Portuguese

Barca to play their normal game(beautiful football,high pressing) as usual but they have two facesThe first one is the one which are clinical/ruthless which Manchester United won't be able to cope with(11 or 10 men)The second is the one whom allow compleancy to creep in. By taking their foot off the gas and thinking the game is won already.In other words Barca are their own enemy its theirs to lose(Manchester United cannot outplay or bully them all they can do is stay in the game as long as they can and I hope Barcelona's second face appears)

• Downvote 2

Guest FA23
Hate to say this but Im going for a United win
same i just think rio and vidic are gonna have the game of there lives and defend sick for 90mins,

Guest haze-e
Hate to say this but Im going for a United win
same i just think rio and vidic are gonna have the game of there lives and defend sick for 90mins,
Best partnership in the world. f*ck a Puyol/Pique.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Fletcher needs to regain full fitness before the game comes around, then i'd imagine him to join Giggs and Carrick in the middle, Park will get a feature, as will Valencia, then i cant see Hernandez getting the nod over Rooney. only question is O'shea or Rafael/Fabio at full back, i know what i'd choose, hope Barca get a few injuries 1 to Messi and another to Pique especially, nothing serious, just a sprain a couple days before the game, or even a dodgy meal or something. gonna be a tough game, where we'll have to play as near to perfect as possible to win, if we do win Fletcher will be man of the match

• Upvote 1

Guest FA23

dont think giggs will start in the middle.Reckon anderson will be in with a shout if he carrys on gaining more match fitness.

Also I see what that person on here meant when he claimed the Da Silva twins were key to beating Barca, i woudnt go that far but they are very good at pressing and have high energy, at least 1 could have a major role
c/sBut i reckon one of them would end up getting sent off at some point./Dani Alves threat is also underestimated. As soon as Barcas right winger drops inside Alves just makes an extra man nearly EVERY attack. This guys stamina is f*cked swear he can sprint for 90 minutes straight.

Also I see what that person on here meant when he claimed the Da Silva twins were key to beating Barca, i woudnt go that far but they are very good at pressing and have high energy, at least 1 could have a major role
c/sBut i reckon one of them would end up getting sent off at some point.
They both would lol

c/sBut i reckon one of them would end up getting sent off at some point./Dani Alves threat is also underestimated. As soon as Barcas right winger drops inside Alves just makes an extra man nearly EVERY attack. This guys stamina is f*cked swear he can sprint for 90 minutes straight.
f*ck*ng machine.

---------------Van Der Sar --------------Rafa-------Rio------------------Vidic------------Evra-------------- Fletcher--Carrick-----------------------------Valencia------------Giggs-----------------------Park----------------------Rooney----------------------------------Is what I think Fergie will play.