Google Music Beta

Guest 11 Bills

Guest 11 Bills
SAN FRANCISCO — In its long-anticipated effort to bring music storage to the cloud, Google debuted its own streaming music service at its I/O developer conference on Tuesday morning.

Dubbed “Music Beta by Google,” the service will act as a “digital locker,” where users can store their music in the cloud instead of on their local hard drives or mobile devices.

After uploading your existing music library to a remote server, you’ll be able to stream your music to your Android phone or web-connected PC. As long as you’re connected to the internet, you’ll be able to access your music wherever you go.

You’ll be able to add up to 20,000 songs, and it’s free while its in beta mode.

Like Amazon, which launched a similar service in March, Google does not have licensing deals with the music labels. Billboard named two “bottlenecks,” Sony and Universal Music Group, and said the lack of deals meant Google was able to offer less of a service than it had wanted.

sauce

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/05/google-music-beta-io/

Guest FA23

not impressed with this cloud type service

20,000 tracks

X

3.5 mb a track

=

am i right in saying thats about 70gb?

some phones have half of that capacity and no data connection required

what are the benefits?

you dont have to waste phone memory with tracks.

you can log onto any computer and play your music.

you will never have a hd failure.

Guest 11 Bills

yea it will be a bandwidth and battery killer

im hoping theyve thought about that and implemented something

cos wen im browsin my battery just nose dives

valid edit: - Faze - but davids points of bandwidth and battery clash with yours

is this pretty similar to spotify except you can only access the files you have uploaded?

licence thing might be a problem but if you are uploading and then streaming stuff back to your device couldnt they argue that its on the end user to make sure files have been obtained legally?

this whole idea is kinda strange imo but i dont blame them for trying for a piece of the pie

ultimately everyone including the record labels are pisssed that apple were first movers and locked the sh*t down

Guest FA23

valid edit: - Faze - but davids points of bandwidth and battery clash with yours

is this pretty similar to spotify except you can only access the files you have uploaded?

licence thing might be a problem but if you are uploading and then streaming stuff back to your device couldnt they argue that its on the end user to make sure files have been obtained legally?

this whole idea is kinda strange imo but i dont blame them for trying for a piece of the pie

ultimately everyone including the record labels are pisssed that apple were first movers and locked the sh*t down

yeah but bandwidth availability and battery power are getting better every year. it will be only be a couple of years when smarthphones have the ability to run for weeks like 8310's did

I hope so

Technology and power consumption growth has been greater than that of battery capacity for a while

Do you think dual and quad core are gonna help much? I cant say the Galaxy S2 is drastically better than other single core smartphones even with a slightly larger than average battery (1650 ma or whatever)

Thing is you can already buy bigger battery packs and phone backs but seems like the designers are pushing slimness/asthetics over power/functionality...

Nice concept, but its not really a replacement of having your music on a usb/phone. Nothing is worst than being stuck on the Andes, then realising you cannot get signal to stream you uploaded content while waiting for rescue. It also raises security/legal issues surrounding the ownership of copywritten music.

• 1 year later...
On November 13, we're bringing music on Google Play to Europe. Those of you in the U.K, France, Germany, Italy and Spain will be able to purchase music from the Google Play store and add up to 20,000 songs—for free—from your existing collection to the cloud for streaming to your Android devices or web browser. We’re also launching our new matching feature to streamline the process of uploading your personal music to Google Play. We’ll scan your music collection and any song we match against the Google Play catalog will be automatically added to your online library without needing to upload it, saving you time. This will be available in Europe at launch on November 13 and is coming to the U.S. soon after. This will all be for free—free storage of your music, free matching, free syncing across your devices and free listening.