Ben Foster "I'm taking a break from Internationals"

Flojo

Birmingham goalkeeper Ben Foster has made himself unavailable for England duty for an indefinite period to help prolong his club career.

The 28-year-old has been the number two to Manchester City's Joe Hart since last year's World Cup but has had a series of injury problems.

Foster said: "Performing at the highest level game in, game out... really takes it out of your body.

"I'm certainly not closing a door on the international side forever."

Foster was left out of the England World Cup squad by coach Fabio Capello last summer but impressive performances for Birmingham this season earned him a recall.

Foster's fine form was one of the key features behind Birmingham's Carling Cup final win over Arsenal.

However, Blues have struggled in the Premier League this season and are still not safe from relegation, sitting three points clear of third-bottom Blackpool, with two games remaining.

The former Manchester United goalkeeper has been forced to pull out of the England squad because of injury this season and said getting a proper rest period between games was the primary reason behind his decision.

"It's no secret that I've had a few niggling injuries and that I've had to pull out of the past few England squads because of that," explained Foster, who signed for Birmingham from United on a three-year deal for an undisclosed fee last May.

"Inevitably, every time I've had the opportunity to give my body a rest there has been an international fixture and the demands that come with that.

"I've spoken to the management team and coaches here at Blues and told them what I want to do but it's also very important that I say just how much I have loved playing for England and being part of the set-up.

"In Joe Hart, England have a goalkeeper who is extremely talented and a top guy and he is an excellent custodian for the national side to have. I have no doubt he is going to go on to be one of the greatest.

"But this is the right decision for me as I want to prolong my club career for as long as possible."

Foster made his England debut in 2007 in a 1-0 defeat by Spain and his last England appearance came in the 2-1 loss to France at Wembley in November 2010.

:unsure:

Am I missing something here? This brudda is 28 years old and a goalkeeper ffs.

Guest M12 Part 2

Hes not got a winners mentality at all. Always complaining. How can he be saying hes glad he left united cos theres less pressure to win every week and now this, This is the kind of man that should have been filtered out of football as a younger, head is not there

• Upvote 1

his mrs is getting onto him about holiday time bait, bham got an early pre season as well

Guest Klitschko

No.

He's taken a break because he's sick of travelling round the globe being sub, and then when Capello has a change of heart due to kneejerk media reactions, getting dropped out of the squad.

BEN FOSTER has upset Birmingham fans after a Twitter rant by a team-mate's wife.

The tweet came from third-string keeper Colin Doyle's missus, who slammed her husband for coming in at 4am with Foster.

Angry Becky hit out following the stars' late night at the club's awards dinner on Monday where No 1 stopper Foster was named Player of the Year.

The tweet blasted: "P***ed off with my husband getting in at 4am with fossy and waking me up, celebrate next week when your safe. Have some respect."

Her post was hastily removed when supporters noticed it - though not before provoking an angry reaction from Brum fans whose club face relegation to the Championship on Sunday if they fail to take anything from their trip to Tottenham.

Birmingham sit just above third-bottom Blackpool on goal difference going into their biggest Premier League match of the season.

Foster, 28, announced last week that he would be making himself unavailable for England duty for the time being.

But despite the tweet from Doyle's wife it is not thought any action will be taken against the pair.

St Andrew's boss Alex McLeish, whose side won the Carling Cup in February, is thought to be relaxed about the issue as the players did not break any pre-match curfew.

Sources have also suggested the players were not drunk and both of them reported for training on time yesterday morning.

Neither Doyle or Foster are expected to be fined by the club.

Birmingham last night issued a statement which said: "The event was a chance for everybody associated with the football club to reflect on a historic season.

"However the importance of this weekend's final fixture of the Premier League was stressed throughout the evening.

"Both the players and the management staff are fully focused on Sunday's hugely important fixture at White Hart Lane."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3586546/Wife-lands-Birmingham-stars-in-trouble.html#ixzz1Mf1lCXf6