some news

O.Man

Amazon rainforest activist shot dead

José Cláudio Ribeiro da Silva fought against illegal loggers and had received death threats but was refused police protection

Jos--Cl-udio-Ribeiro-da-S-007.jpg

Six months after predicting his own murder, a leading rainforest defender has reportedly been gunned down in the Brazilian Amazon. José Cláudio Ribeiro da Silva and his wife, Maria do Espírito Santo, are said to have been killed in an ambush near their home in Nova Ipixuna, in Pará state, about 37 miles from Marabá.

According to a local newspaper, Diário do Pará, the couple had not had police protection despite getting frequent death threats because of their battle against illegal loggers and ranchers.

In a
, in November, Da Silva spoke of his fears that loggers would try to silence him. "I could be here today talking to you and in one month you will get the news that I disappeared. I will protect the forest at all costs. That is why I could get a bullet in my head at any moment … because I denounce the loggers and charcoal producers, and that is why they think I cannot exist. [People] ask me, 'are you afraid?' Yes, I'm a human being, of course I am afraid. But my fear does not silence me. As long as I have the strength to walk I will denounce all of those who damage the forest."

Rio de Janeiro

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/24/amazon-rainforest-activist-killed?CMP=twt_gu

• 2 weeks later...
Boy regrets selling his kidney to buy iPad

A 17-year-old student in Anhui Province sold one of his kidneys for 20,000 yuan only to buy an iPad 2. Now, with his health getting worse, the boy is feeling regret but it is too late, the Global Times reported today.

"I wanted to buy an iPad 2 but could not afford it," said the boy surnamed Zheng in Huaishan City. "A broker contacted me on the Internet and said he could help me sell one kidney for 20,000 yuan."

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/nsp/National/2011/06/02/Boy%2Bregrets%2Bselling%2Bhis%2Bkidney%2Bto%2Bbuy%2BiPad/#

• Upvote 1

War on drugs not working, says global commission

Governments should end criminalisation of drugs, according to high profile panel, including Kofi Annan and Sir Richard Branson

Decriminalise possession of drugs, celebrities urge government

Person-smoking-a-joint-007.jpg

Dame Judi Dench, Sir Richard Branson, and Sting have joined an ex-drugs minister and three former chief constables in calling for the decriminalisation of the possession of all drugs.

The high-profile celebrities together with leading lawyers, academics, artists and politicians have signed an open letter to David Cameron to mark this week's 40th anniversary of the 1971 Misuse of Drugs Act. The letter, published in a full-page advertisement in Thursday's Guardian, calls for a "swift and transparent" review of the effectiveness of current drugs policies.

Its signatories say that all the past 40 years has produced is a rapid growth in illicit drug use in Britain, and significant harm caused by the application of the criminal law to the personal use and possession of all drugs.

"This policy is costly for taxpayers and damaging for communities," they claim. "Criminalising people who use drugs leads to greater social exclusion and stigmatisation making it much more difficult for them to gain employment and to play a productive role in society. It creates a society full of wasted resources."

The letter launching the campaign, Drugs – It's Time for Better Laws, has been organised by the national drugs charity Release. Other signatories include the film director Mike Leigh, actors Julie Christie and Kathy Burke and leading lawyer Sir Geoffrey Bindman QC. The former Labour drugs minister Bob Ainsworth and three former chief constables, Paul Whitehouse, Francis Wilkinson and Tom Lloyd, have all put their names to the letter.

The global war on drugs has failed and governments should explore legalising marijuana and other controlled substances, according to a commission that includes former heads of state and a former UN secretary-general.

A new report by the Global Commission on Drug Policy argues that the decades-old "global war on drugs has failed, with devastating consequences for individuals and societies around the world". The 24-page paper is released on Thursday.

"Political leaders and public figures should have the courage to articulate publicly what many of them acknowledge privately: that the evidence overwhelmingly demonstrates that repressive strategies will not solve the drug problem, and that the war on drugs has not, and cannot, be won," the report said.

The 19-member commission includes former UN secretary-general Kofi Annan and former US official George P Schultz, who held cabinet posts under US presidents Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon. Others include former US Federal Reserve chairman Paul Volcker, former presidents of Mexico, Brazil and Colombia, authors Carlos Fuentes and Mario Vargas Llosa, Sir Richard Branson and the current prime minister of Greece.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/jun/02/drugs-drugspolicy

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/02/war-on-drugs-not-working

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says Europe 'stealing Iran's rain'

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has accused Western countries of plotting to "cause drought" in Iran by using high tech equipment to drain the clouds of raindrops.

Ahmadinejad_1487934c.jpg

''DEY TOOK D'OUR DRAIN!!''

Moments after the Iranian president made the startling claim at the inauguration of a dam in a central province, it started to rain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/8527455/Mahmoud-Ahmadinejad-says-Europe-stealing-Irans-rain.html

• Upvote 1

Guest Esquilax

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says Europe 'stealing Iran's rain'

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has accused Western countries of plotting to "cause drought" in Iran by using high tech equipment to drain the clouds of raindrops.

Ahmadinejad_1487934c.jpg

''DEY TOOK D'OUR DRAIN!!''

Moments after the Iranian president made the startling claim at the inauguration of a dam in a central province, it started to rain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/8527455/Mahmoud-Ahmadinejad-says-Europe-stealing-Irans-rain.html

:lol:

'We've been rumbled, turn the rain on!'

• Upvote 2

Report: After Attacks, New York Hotels To Equip Maids With 'Panic Button'

sofitel_wide.jpg?t=1306964884&s=3

Two high-profile attacks on hotel maids are leading to a change in security at two Manhattan hotels: The Wall Street Journal reports that according to union officials, the Pierre Hotel and the Sofitel New York will equip their room attendants with panic buttons in case they are attacked.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/06/01/136865498/report-after-attacks-new-york-hotels-to-equip-maids-with-panic-button?ft=1&f=1001&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

War on drugs not working, says global commission

Governments should end criminalisation of drugs, according to high profile panel, including Kofi Annan and Sir Richard Branson

Decriminalise possession of drugs, celebrities urge government

Person-smoking-a-joint-007.jpg

Dame Judi Dench, Sir Richard Branson, and Sting have joined an ex-drugs minister and three former chief constables in calling for the decriminalisation of the possession of all drugs.

The high-profile celebrities together with leading lawyers, academics, artists and politicians have signed an open letter to David Cameron to mark this week's 40th anniversary of the 1971 Misuse of Drugs Act. The letter, published in a full-page advertisement in Thursday's Guardian, calls for a "swift and transparent" review of the effectiveness of current drugs policies.

Its signatories say that all the past 40 years has produced is a rapid growth in illicit drug use in Britain, and significant harm caused by the application of the criminal law to the personal use and possession of all drugs.

"This policy is costly for taxpayers and damaging for communities," they claim. "Criminalising people who use drugs leads to greater social exclusion and stigmatisation making it much more difficult for them to gain employment and to play a productive role in society. It creates a society full of wasted resources."

The letter launching the campaign, Drugs – It's Time for Better Laws, has been organised by the national drugs charity Release. Other signatories include the film director Mike Leigh, actors Julie Christie and Kathy Burke and leading lawyer Sir Geoffrey Bindman QC. The former Labour drugs minister Bob Ainsworth and three former chief constables, Paul Whitehouse, Francis Wilkinson and Tom Lloyd, have all put their names to the letter.

The global war on drugs has failed and governments should explore legalising marijuana and other controlled substances, according to a commission that includes former heads of state and a former UN secretary-general.

A new report by the Global Commission on Drug Policy argues that the decades-old "global war on drugs has failed, with devastating consequences for individuals and societies around the world". The 24-page paper is released on Thursday.

"Political leaders and public figures should have the courage to articulate publicly what many of them acknowledge privately: that the evidence overwhelmingly demonstrates that repressive strategies will not solve the drug problem, and that the war on drugs has not, and cannot, be won," the report said.

The 19-member commission includes former UN secretary-general Kofi Annan and former US official George P Schultz, who held cabinet posts under US presidents Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon. Others include former US Federal Reserve chairman Paul Volcker, former presidents of Mexico, Brazil and Colombia, authors Carlos Fuentes and Mario Vargas Llosa, Sir Richard Branson and the current prime minister of Greece.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/jun/02/drugs-drugspolicy

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/02/war-on-drugs-not-working

Seen that that earlier, the government have labeled them as 'naive' so I don't think anything will happen.

A group of celebrities was last night branded ‘naive in the extreme’ after pleading with David Cameron to decriminalise drug possession.

Actresses Julie Christie, Dame Judi Dench and Kathy Burke, Left-wing film director Mike Leigh, singer Sting and Sir Richard Branson criticised drug policy in a letter to the Prime Minister.

The letter’s 30 signatories also include MP Paul Flynn, former Home Office minister Bob Ainsworth, Green MP Caroline Lucas, and three former chief constables.

In the open letter, they demand a ‘swift and transparent’ review of drugs laws, followed by ‘immediate decriminalisation’ if the review found laws had failed.

Dame Judi backed calls for the ‘immediate decriminalisation of drug possession’ should the policy review show it has failed.

And Sir Richard said another approach was needed: ‘One that takes the power out of the hands of organised crime and treats people with addiction problems like patients, not criminals’.

The war on drugs ‘has failed to cut usage’ and only ‘filled our jails’, cost millions of pounds of taxpayers’ money, ‘fuelled organised crime and caused thousands of deaths’, he added

Nearly 80,000 people in the UK were convicted or cautioned for possessing an illegal drug in the past year and ‘most were young, black or poor’, the letter published by campaign group Release said.

Last night the stars were condemned by drugs campaigners who said removing penalties for cannabis would send a message such drugs were safe.

The three ex-chief constables who also signed the letter were former Sussex chief Paul Whitehouse, Francis Wilkinson, once of the Gwent force and Tom Lloyd, former Cambridgeshire chief constable.

Mary Brett, a trustee of charity Cannabis Skunk Sense said: ‘This is naive in the extreme.

‘These people have never read the literature on the harms drugs such as cannabis can do. There is no doubt that cannabis can cause psychosis, and skunk users are even more likely to become psychotic as a result.

‘The message decriminalising drugs sends out is that they are safe.

‘Kids believe “they wouldn’t have done this if it wasn’t safe” and that’s the message they get.

‘We must protect our children and discourage risk-taking.’

The celebrities’ letter said: ‘It is clear that the current system of applying the criminal law to the personal use and possession of drugs has failed in its aim. Conversely, the harms caused by pursuing this approach to drug use have been significant.’

In a statement, Sting said: ‘Giving young people criminal records for minor drug possession serves little purpose – it is time to think of more imaginative ways of addressing drug use.’

Last year Mr Ainsworth was criticised after he said the war on drugs had been ‘nothing short of a disaster’.

He called for ‘doctors and pharmacists’ to distribute substances which are banned.

Their call echoes a worldwide campaign calling for experiments in ‘legal regulation’ of drugs.

The Global Commission on Drug Policy is backed by Sir Richard, former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan and former presidents of Colombia, Mexico, Brazil and Switzerland.

Launched in New York today, it calls for drug use to be decriminalised, and for governments to try regulating the sale of drugs such as cannabis to ‘undermine the power of organised crime’.

The report was welcomed by UK-based drugs campaign group Transform.

Spokesman Danny Kushlick said: ‘We call on UK party political leaders to call a ceasefire in their political point scoring, and instead unite to explore peaceful and effective alternatives to the war on drugs.’

A report in March found young people who use cannabis double their risk of developing psychotic symptoms.

Absolute sh*t, made me angry as f*ck reading that.

Yeah definitely man, I don't even care about the law I smoke weed as if it was legal anyway.

The part that gets me is that they deny the fact that the war on drugs is a massive failure, its just frustrating more than anything.

• Upvote 1

Boy regrets selling his kidney to buy iPad

A 17-year-old student in Anhui Province sold one of his kidneys for 20,000 yuan only to buy an iPad 2. Now, with his health getting worse, the boy is feeling regret but it is too late, the Global Times reported today.

"I wanted to buy an iPad 2 but could not afford it," said the boy surnamed Zheng in Huaishan City. "A broker contacted me on the Internet and said he could help me sell one kidney for 20,000 yuan."

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/nsp/National/2011/06/02/Boy%2Bregrets%2Bselling%2Bhis%2Bkidney%2Bto%2Bbuy%2BiPad/#

them ones, want something so bad then when u get it ur like meh..

Absolute sh*t, made me angry as f*ck reading that.

exactly why i didnt read it

from when guys like david nuff are sacked i have no interest in what the government have to say about drugs policy

whatever the facts are they will not listen

Many of the visitors come with a deeply romantic vision of Paris - the cobbled streets, as seen in the film Amelie, the beauty of French women or the high culture and art at the Louvre.

The reality can come as a shock.

dont have it Mike Kane, theyre sending