In your own words explain the following terms:

1. JPEG

2. MPEG

3. 25frames

4. Dropframe

5. Timecode

6. Digitalsynchronisation

7. Wordclock

i don't know why on a music course they're askin me to do this bullshit but they are, i know what the first two mean but i aint got a clue aobut the others, any budding film guys on here wanna lend me a hand?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Guest Klitschko

i need help with sum bullshit assignment

1. JPEG

2. MPEG

3. 25frames

4. Dropframe

5. Timecode

6. Digitalsynchronisation

7. Wordclock

i don't know why on a music course they're askin me to do this bullshit but they are, i know what the first two mean but i aint got a clue aobut the others, any budding film guys on here wanna lend me a hand?

Jpeg, acronym for the Joint Photographics Experts Group, who created the formate for compressing image files.

Mpeg - moving picture experts group, a format for compressing video files

I...I..Im too tiresd for this.

• Upvote 1

well digital synchronisation isn't very specific, i type that into google i'll get all types of sh*t out, anyways i'm using google as well but i knew there was a fair few film guys on here so i though i'd ask.

1. JPEG - compression format for images

2. MPEG - compression format for video

3. 25frames - number of still images per second in PAL format video, most common alternative is 29.7 fps used in NTFS

4. Dropframe - Dropped frames sometimes occurs when converting video recorded in one frame rate to another, see above

5. Timecode - pretty much any timing system ie hours:minutes:seconds

6. Digitalsynchronisation - syncing audio between two devices via digital signals

7. Wordclock -

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Lemons

what makes u think i haven't wiki'd this sh*t? either help or f*ck off

f*ck you. I wiki'd it all found all the answers, either you're lazy or stupid.

• Upvote 1

1. JPEG - compression format for images

2. MPEG - compression format for video

3. 25frames - number of still images per second in PAL format video, most common alternative is 29.7 fps used in NTFS

4. Dropframe - Dropped frames sometimes occurs when converting video recorded in one frame rate to another, see above

5. Timecode - pretty much any timing system ie hours:minutes:seconds

6. Digitalsynchronisation - syncing audio between two devices via digital signals

7. Wordclock -

safe bro

/

lemons this is one question out of 4 i have to answer, i was 300 words off the word limit and i hadn't even started to answer the question, i needed the briefest possible answers i could get, and wikipedia doesn't give you that, which is why i asked here, hoping to get an answer like the one flojo just posted.

25 Frames what?

I know that PAL runs on 12 fps , and over in america they run they're shows @ 25 fps.

Not sure if this is gona help or not!

FFS I typed some long sh*t n this PC decided to just delete it all while opening another tab

wont say all I said coz I cnt even remember

but

PAL uses 25 frames per second (interlaced), NTSC uses 30 frames per second (29.97) (interlaced) and film uses 24 frames (progressive, well digital film, dont know if I could technically call the normal analogue film progressive as its film running through a projector), then theres SECAM, but we dont care about that.

PAL is the analogue colour system used in the UK and other countries, NTSC is north America, SECAM is France n a couple miscellaneous countries.

what I was explaining in my deleted post is that PAL systems have a refresh rate of 50Hz and its interlaced.

Interlaced means the image is refreshed one half at a time, so the TV may start by showing the even lines first, then the odd lines, as its only half the image refreshed at a time, its not 50 frames per second, but 25. lines im talking about are the horizontal lines on a screen that define the resolution, PAL and DVB-T (freeview) uses 576 lines, your prob familiar with 720p/1080p resolution for HD content.

interlaced.gif

which leads me onto the "p" at the end of those, thats progressive, same frame rate at 25fps but it loads the full image 25 times rather than half, so its much better for fast moving content like sports for example, although Sky broadcasts its HD in 1080i which the box/tv converts to 720p, no idea why they just didnt use 720p.

we dont use PAL anymore, well 2012 in London, but over here the analogue signal is switched off, so we use DVB-T which is what freeview transmits, still interlaced, but digital.

erm what else, dunno im goin for lunch, anything I missed out or needs more explaining just holler

in the meantime, heres 2 screens showing interlaced and progressive video stills

prog

prog_160x120.jpg

int

interlaced_160x120.jpg

prob dnt even need to know all that, but it may help u