Jon Snow - Sri Lanka's Killing Fields - C4 11PM

Guest FA23

Channel 4 Now.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/sri-lankas-killing-fields/episode-guide/series-1/episode-1

A special one-hour film showing devastating new evidence of war crimes committed during the Sri Lankan civil war is to be broadcast in the UK.

The film documents the final bloody weeks of the Sri Lankan civil war and features damning new evidence of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

The film Sri Lanka Killing Fields includes footage of apparent extra-judicial massacres of prisoners by Sri Lankan government forces, the aftermath of targeted shelling of civilian hospitals and the bodies of female Tamil fighters who appear to have been sexually assaulted.

The film does not only focus on the Sri Lankan government troops - it also examines atrocities carried out by the Tamil Tigers, including the use of human shields, and footage depicting the aftermath of a suicide bombing in a government centre for the displaced.

Presented by Jon Snow, Sri Lanka's Killing Fields, was shown to the United Nations Human Rights Council at the end of May.

The UN screening was attended by a number of ambassadors from nations including the US and UK.

Jon Snow says the film is "one of the most important" stories he has ever reported saying:

"It tells the story of the bloody end to Sri Lanka's civil war - in which at least 40,000 Tamil civilians were killed. I have reported civil wars before, not least in Central America in the 1980s but I have never seen such graphic evidence, often at the hands of government soldiers themselves of what have all the hallmarks of war crimes.

"The film is important in that it represents one of the most shocking films ever screened on Channel 4. It has to be so, there are accusations of war crimes by both sides.

"This film is also vastly important because, it represents the conclusion of two years' worth of courageous journalism by the Channel 4 News team in the face of great adversity including repeated challenges to our integrity by the Sri Lankan authorities.

"It forms a vital part of the evidence of alleged war crimes - crimes, allegations which the UN itself has called "credible". It shows Channel 4 putting a campaign for truth and justice at the very centre of its News and Current Affairs output. And above all, it shines bright unflinching light on a terrible crime - a crime which so far has gone unpunished."

Channel 4 News first broadcast the footage allegedly showing government troops executing Tamil prisoners in August 2009.

Last November, a second video of the same massacre emerged, revealing the naked dead bodies of at least seven women. The faces of some of the government troops could also be seen.

Following an investigation, Channel 4 News identified of one of the female victims in the video as a high profile member of the Tamil Tiger communications team. A potential date and location of the massacre was also determined.

A UN special envoy said the footage appeared to be evidence of "serious international crimes".

The Sri Lankan government has consistently rejected the footage as falsified.

As the UN says it will continue its investigations, pressure has increased on the Sri Lankan authorities to allow an international inquiry into allegations that thousands of civilians were killed at the end of the 26-year war.

• Upvote 2

deepest part for me was the tamil tv presenter...

how she was raped and murdered and jus lyin there decomposing naked

the depravity was horrendous

i wonder why no one seems to care in the internation commmunity

yeah that was really quite shocking

dunno, the only conflict that gets consistent coverage is israel-palestine, nothing else seems to concern people

deepest part for me was the tamil tv presenter...

how she was raped and murdered and jus lyin there decomposing naked

the depravity was horrendous

i wonder why no one seems to care in the internation commmunity

They aint got oil.

Guest Esquilax

I wish everyone would stop using the oil argument, it's played out

There's no oil in Afghanistan, there are essentially no resources that we'd want, apart from opium, which soldiers systematically destroy

• Downvote 2

it's not alway about resources tho, america's nearing its debt ceiling and there's no way it'll default so if congress can't agree on raising the limit they'll declare war on somewhere, coz nothing gets the ppl doing what the government wants like a good ol fashioned conflict

Guest Esquilax

I'm not saying that their motives are pure, I'm saying that it's not ALWAYS oil

It just seems to be the knee jerk reaction for anyone when a western nation occupies an eastern one

Armchair activists 'OH IT'S THE OIL OBVIOUSLY DON'T BE SUCH A SHEEPLE'

• Downvote 2

That was last year, American presence in Afghanistan has beein going for years...

SMH, you honestly think they were doing some shooting practice last year and just stumbled across some minerals.

You can see this kinda sh*t from space with the technology available now, they will have known for YEARS.

That was last year, American presence in Afghanistan has beein going for years...

SMH, you honestly think they were doing some shooting practice last year and just stumbled across some minerals.

You can see this kinda sh*t from space with the technology available now, they will have known for YEARS.

is it impossible for you to believe that the afghan invasion was a stupid decision by the US government based on a knee-jerk reaction to the 9/11 attack?

• Downvote 2

is it impossible for you to believe that the afghan invasion was a stupid decision by the US government based on a knee-jerk reaction to the 9/11 attack?

What about Lybia?

lol @ esqi, silly boy

/

programme wasnt as gory as i expected

did u not find it shocking though?

i felt f*ck*ng weird when the videos of executions were shown. and the bit where the tamil tv presenters body was there, then it showed a clip of her presenting the news...f*ck