Everyone looks like Vin Diesel

djbmc

The Devolution of Character Designs

Or, 'How Every Game Hero Looks Like Vin Diesel'.

Australia, June 21, 2011

Have you noticed this too? It's not just me, then. Every action hero-- well, a large proportion of them, anyway, tend to look like Vin Diesel. They all have shaved heads, frowns and featureless mugs. They're cookie-cutter, archetypal action heroes - and they all look like each other.

Check out the images below. These are characters from titles spanning the last few years. Can you identify all of them? If you have any trouble at all, I wouldn't blame you. These guys are about as well defined and unique as a warm glass of water.

Is there a rationale behind this? Why does every character have to be a Sam Worthington-esque me-too grunt?

My thinking is, they're uniformly bland so players can project themselves onto them. But really, does that happen? Or does it just make for incredibly forgettable lead characters?

I'm not copying all those individual pics, click the link to see the comparisons and overlaps of different game characters, it's pretty funny:

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1177659p1.html