World Athletics Championships 2011 (pg4)

Colin Turnover

BBC1 @ 1.30

• 3 weeks later...
Asafa Powell, the fastest man over 100 metres in the world this year, has pulled out of the event at the world championships because of a groin injury. Powell's withdrawal means that the four top-ranked 100m sprinters in the world will be missing from the competition. Tyson Gay is out with a hip injury, while the Jamaican Steve Mullings and the USA's Mike Rodgers have both been provisionally suspended after failing drugs tests.

The 100m final on Sunday was set to be the centrepiece of these Championships with Powell expected to push Usain Bolt, who was all but unbeatable at Berlin in 2009, for the gold. By his own admission Bolt is "not in tip-top shape", and his fastest time this year, 9.88, places him only joint-sixth fastest in the world. Powell had run a full tenth of a second quicker. But now the only man left standing who has been faster than Bolt is Richard Thompson of Trinidad & Tobago, who won silver behind the Jamaican at the Beijing Olympics.

Powell had spoken of this as being the competition where he could "go lower than 9.7", but doubts began to surface about his fitness when he withdrew from the Diamond League meeting at Crystal Palace two weeks before the start of the world championships. He has been suffering with a groin strain ever since he ran at Budapest on 30 July, but he had tried to keep his likely withdrawal a secret. The news broke accidentally when he pulled out of Jamaica's pre-championships team press conference. His replacement in the 100m, Michael Frater, let slip that he "had not been expecting to run the 100m here but unfortunately Asafa couldn't make it".

Bolt suffered with an achilles tendon injury towards the end of 2010, and his scoliosis, a curvature of the spine he has suffered with since birth, troubled him over the winter. He says he is not "in 9.5 shape," but is still determined to win a second world title. "A lot of people have said that I'm a legend but I don't look at it like that at the moment. But in two years – I'm working on it. This world championships is going to be the first step to becoming a legend so it's very important. A lot of people have won championships, a lot of people have broken records, but few people have repeated that year in year out, especially in the sprints."

Powell's agent explained that the athlete had "received all sorts of treatments over the past two weeks in the hope of being prepared to run the 100m here in Daegu but today [Thursday] Asafa made the final decision not to run. He feels he would not be at 100% and may have trouble coming back after each round". He may still run in the relay, but that will be small consolation to a man who told the Guardian recently: "I've been starving myself for nine years. I'm ready to win."

pity was looking forward to seeing this bitch azz nigga crumble again

/

weeee back, looking fwd to seeing gatlin back, dix, bolt

anyone watching world championships on channel 4

hosted by Otis :huh:

Guest Portuguese

What happened to him after he won in 2005

Nothing. He's just stayed at that same level really. Was a 'poor' year in terms of times when he won that final.

Who was in that race?

Greene

Chambers

Everyone ran over ten seconds yeah?