VIP2 MOVIE CLUB pt.2

Admin.

John Carter flop to cost Walt Disney $200m

Walt Disney has said it expects to lose $200m (£126m) on its movie John Carter, making it one of the biggest flops in cinema history.

The film, about a military captain transported to Mars, could result in an $80-120m loss for Disney's movie business during the current quarter.

Disney shares were down almost 1% in early trading in New York.

The firm is still likely to make a substantial quarterly profit, though, thanks to its TV businesses.

Tarzan

It is estimated that John Carter cost $250m to make and it is likely that Disney spent another $100m on marketing.

Reviewing the film on BBC 5 Live, Mark Kermode said: "The story telling is incomprehensible, the characterisation is ludicrous, the story is two and a quarter hours long and it's a boring, boring, boring two and a quarter hours long."

The film's director, Pixar's Andrew Stanton, had previously had great success with films such as Finding Nemo and Wall-E.

The John Carter film is based on a series of books written by the author of Tarzan, Edgar Rice Burroughs.

The series began with A Princess of Mars in 1912 and ended with John Carter of Mars, published after the author's death in 1964.

The film has taken no more than $184m at box offices worldwide, with cinema owners receiving about half of that total.

It is difficult to compare losses on films, as studios reveal little financial detail and allowances have to be made for inflation.

The Hollywood Reporter says that last year's biggest flop was Mars Needs Moms, which cost $150m to make and only took $39m at the box office.

Disney will be hoping for success from other big budget movies due for release later this year.

The list includes The Avengers, due to be released in May, and Brave, set to be released by Disney Pixar in June.

pretty sure i read somewhere he was involved.

it would make sense as he designed the 'space jockey' ship/creature in the first film, and Prometheus will feature them heavily. I always liked that sequence in Alien with the giant being in the chair, shits mysterious, excited their going to explore this further. Think their will be more on 'the company' as well, also read the film is going to be quite dark.

Just saw Hunger Games

Battle Royale for kids.

Spent too long on unnecessary things. Not sure how true it stayed to the book but maybe the book was more graphic? CGI was poor for certain things as well.

The concept is good, maybe if they explained that better i would have liked it but thought it was a poor movie but then again, i never read the books so not sure if it was meant to be some fake romance film.

Just saw Hunger Games

Battle Royale for kids.

Spent too long on unnecessary things. Not sure how true it stayed to the book but maybe the book was more graphic? CGI was poor for certain things as well.

The concept is good, maybe if they explained that better i would have liked it but thought it was a poor movie but then again, i never read the books so not sure if it was meant to be some fake romance film.

see this friday night

good summary of the film tbh

Just saw Hunger Games

Battle Royale for kids.

I read the first book a while ago, the book isn't really graphic either and it all seemed quite childish. I didn't bother reading the rest of the series

Just saw Hunger Games

Battle Royale for kids.

I read the first book a while ago, the book isn't really graphic either and it all seemed quite childish. I didn't bother reading the rest of the series

Yeah this film is after the same fans that like Harry potter and Twlight.

Wouldn't recommend this film if you've seen Battle Royale and think this is similar.

Maybe its my age or something else but I can't stand all these films, never seen one Harry Potter or Twilight and won't be seeing one of these Hunger Games. Never been interested one single bit, from what I've seen and read it has elements from Battle Royale (one of my favourite films), The Fly, Running Man, Thunder Ball etc. Also the films have a strange young group of fans, want proof arm have a look at this link http://jezebel.com/5896408/racist-hunger-games-fans-dont-care-how-much-money-the-movie-made rather watch some French New Wave.

who's backing Hunger Games though? must be some BIG money behind it because i've seen it promo'd from fashion to tech blogs, it's everywhere and i haven't even seen the trailer

that looks good Jibbles, link us to more of the same!

who's backing Hunger Games though? must be some BIG money behind it because i've seen it promo'd from fashion to tech blogs, it's everywhere and i haven't even seen the trailer

It's making big, big money :lol:

Everyone loves it! Probably end up top 5 this year(grossing profit) and there is alot of good films this year!

Made 200 + already and hasn't been out a week? fack

@ Stat

Alot of people will like the Hunger games, yeah it has elements of running man. Maybe if i went into the film thinking that instead of battle royale then i would have liked it. They could of made this film a 15 and it would have been better. That doesn't make money though so they aimed it for the kids.

@ Stat

Alot of people will like the Hunger games, yeah it has elements of running man. Maybe if i went into the film thinking that instead of battle royale then i would have liked it. They could of made this film a 15 and it would have been better. That doesn't make money though so they aimed it for the kids.

Oh I know people will, I'm just not their target audience and knowing there is a film very similar to Battle Royale I just can't watch it. Thats it, pretty much why they pushed the boundaries so far on a 12, making sure it doesn't get a 15. It has an enormous amount of hype, can be sure the next two will make a killing. Something I've been learning recently are strong female leads, I guess Jennifer Lawrence is that type of character and will appeal to the younger female demographic.

More French New Wave? Here's a couple below, I'll give a few links also to trailers.

Both by Jean-Luc Godard

Pierrot Le Fou

youtube.com/watch?v=ycg2yb3qiUo

Jules et Jim

youtube.com/watch?v=oPWTJsO89-M

Day For Night

youtube.com/watch?v=OBen19EjYAc

Shoot The Piano Player

youtube.com/watch?v=tjd6Eg9APAs

See what else I can find for FNW, try posting more links to others I find later that I've been reading and learning about recently.

M (Full film) - German film by Fritz Lang

youtube.com/watch?v=jewTfVC7XD4&feature=watch-now-button&wide=1