What do YOU use?

Esquilax

I use Logic and Reason

Would you man see Fruity Loops is the best for beginners?What else would I need with it, as far as VSTs, MIDIs, LFOs and other terms I'm not quite sure what they mean.
most ppl who start with fruity, stay with fruity, it's not like other programs, cubase and logic are almost identical in their layout, reason is halfway there. i wouldn't suggest using fruity as a tool to learn on with a view to moving on to other programs although it's a perfectly capable piece of software and many people who produce top notch sh*t use it. As for terms, VST is a format developed by Steinberg and used by other companies for the use of external plug-ins that you can use in your sequencer, the mac equivalent is AU (audio units) and in pro-tools it's RTAS, basically if u buy a synth like Massive you'll be asked to pick which format you want it in, depending on your sequencer.MIDI stands for Music Instrument Digital Interface, it's basically sheet music for a synthesiser/computer, it will tell the computer which notes to play, how long the note is and which instrument to use among other things.LFO stands for Low Frequency Oscillator, all sound in a synth is generated by one or more oscillators, a low frequency one operates below what you can hear, say, 5hz, which means 5 oscillations per second, you can use it to modulate other parts of your sound for movement. for instance a typical dubstep bass would sound like one static note if the LFO wasn't modulating a filter's cutoff point (ie the point at which an oscillator's sound is filtered off)
  • Upvote 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love FL studio, it's open to so much manipulation, recently I've been playing with midi controllers using no physical controller whatsoever, just playing with automation, furthermore it shows you the core variable controllers of any vsti so you can really manipulate something to emulate a really real sound.

Once I stop being lazy I'll make this realstrat vsti sound like a real guitar.

• 4 months later...

Would you man see Fruity Loops is the best for beginners?

What else would I need with it, as far as VSTs, MIDIs, LFOs and other terms I'm not quite sure what they mean.

FL can do anything you want it to do. Incredibly powerful once you understand it in depth.

Easy to use sequencing playlist, patterns are easy to figure, automation easy as f*ck, loads of possibilities. Edison is a wicked audio editor, no need for external sample chopping.

Must have plugins IMO:

Tone2 Gladiator

Tone 2 Electra X

NI Komplete (expensive, but you can find it online. Good 80gig download. You get all the Native Instruments sh*t, Kontakt, Massive, FM8, tonnes of samples)

Rob Papen Subboombass

C Tuner (little useful freeware VST for detecting the pitch of samples)

Alicia's Keys pack for Kontakt

Use couple others but ain't jumped on for time. Good to see some producers here.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...