72 Year Old Florist Held Over Fatal Stabbing

SLEAZE BALL

Old Trafford florist Cecil Coley

_54303123_coley.jpg

held over fatal stabbing

A 72-year-old florist has been arrested after a man was stabbed to death in a robbery at a Greater Manchester shop.

Police were called to the shop in Shrewsbury Street, Old Trafford, at 21:40 BST on Tuesday.

A 30-year-old man was taken to hospital with serious injuries and died a short time later.

Shop owner Cecil Coley was taken to hospital with minor injuries and is being held on suspicion of murder.

Police also said a man, aged 19, presented himself at Manchester Royal Infirmary with stab wounds on Tuesday and was arrested on suspicion of robbery.

Both he and Mr Coley were expected to remain in hospital overnight and will be taken into police custody on Thursday.

'Hard worker'Police said a gun was found at the scene and was being forensically examined.

The dead man is believed to have been one of a number of men who tried to rob the shop.

Police said two people were in the shop "legitimately" at the time it was raided.

Ch Supt Mark Roberts said: "Police in the area became aware of a disturbance at the florists.

"On attendance, there were a number of people in and around the shop and a number of men had fled the scene."

He said it was not clear what the "full circumstances" were.

"We could speculate on what has gone on but that will come out in the investigation," he continued.

"Someone in the area has been in possession of a firearm. It's not clear where that firearm has come from."

'Real shock'Speaking at the scene, Mr Coley's nephew, Glen Simms, 49, described the shopkeeper as a "hard worker" and said he had owned the premises for 40 years.

Neighbour Mavis Ferguson, 71, said she saw an injured man "lying in the road".

"A lady from the community centre was trying to revive him but I knew he was dead," she said. "I could see the blood."

She also said she saw another man shouting: "Who has got a car? That's my brother."

Another resident, Lee Spiby, 30, said he tried to do CPR on the man who had been stabbed.

He added: "It's terrible. I am gutted I couldn't save him. There was nothing I could do. I tried my best."

Phil Rawlings, the Rector of nearby St Brides Church, said: "It's a real shock. It will have ripples right the way through the community but this place is really resilient."

The road remained cordoned off while police continued to investigate.

Sauce: http://www.bbc.co.uk...hester-14305192

Discuss:-

Really sad looking at a picture of an old guy and imagining what he must be going thru

Im guessing the guys tried to rob the store one had a gun the other a knife but they were bluffing didnt expect the old man to put it on them

He's got a chance considering the Tories and their current stance on self defence, 'reasonable force' during break ins etc

To be honest I think its outrageous this guys been arrested

f*ck*ng piss take.

How you gonna arrest a 72 year old for stabbing a f*ck*ng armed robber with a burner in self defense?

What kind of country do we live in where we are not allowed to protect ourself from immediate danger to our lives but the police are allowed to murder people in cold blood at protests and train stations?

WTF

• Upvote 6

Did not expect it to be a black guy.

For the letter of the law obviously he has to be arrested etc. but surely they'll examine evidence and he'll get off. Rightly so.

Lol @ trying to rob a florist with a heater and getting nanked up by an OAP

He was arrested because if you stab someone you have to be taken in to be questionioned, I am fairly certain he has subsequently been released with no charges.

Nah bruv F that

He doesn't have to be arrested for the letter of the law

The same way Murdoch's wife wasn't arrested after she slapped don with the shaving foam on a plate

You can question someone without arresting them for suspicion of murder, unless you suspect them of murder in which case you have to arrest them because they need to be cautioned.

Guys

This really is a no brainer

Just so you know, its the police that send out the press releases on these things

They know exactly what the f*ck happened

There are 2 civilian witnesses in the shop who were there when the mandem ran up in there

That being said, f*ck they need to talk to Cecil about?

He was minding his own business

Man tried to RUN UP IN HIS SHOP ARMED

f*ck

THAT

SOMEONES GOTTA GO

They do not need to arrest this guy to question him if he is not suspected of MURDER or MANSLAUGHTER

As I said the only reason why someone is ARRESTED for an offence is not to obtain a WITNESS STATEMENT but it is done as it is ILLEGAL to question A SUSPECT in relation to a matter without first CAUTIONING them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1