David De Gea

Mame Biram Diouf

article-0-08C6940E000005DC-22_472x302.jpg

From an outside perspective and banter aside, do you honestly think he is Tiabi mk II, next Almunia etc

The grate dane gave a good interview saying when he first arrived, players were all over him but as he went on and asserted himself they began to back off and said one of the reasons Gea will succeed is because of his great shot stopping ability which is vital for Utd as teams normally take a lot of long shots from awkward angles against us.

So how will he end up in your opinion?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Great shot stopping thing is a myth imo, all keepers are great shot stoppers or they'd be linesman, it's the other stuff (handling, kicking, command of area consistency) that's important at a big club, otherwise Ben Foster would have been United #1

Schmeichel was right in one aspect in that when United signed Lindegaard, he said that because of the huge pressure being United keeper, that SAF should have signed a ready-made player, not a youngster who is liable to be effected more by pressure/bad form

However having watched him a lot in Spain he definitely has the potential to be good enough, but as he is Spanish he's a natural weakling and can't catch, he's also 'only' 6 foot-6'1, so he will obviously always have certain problems in the PL due to it's physical nature

His kicking and distribution is excellent however, good technique and always finds a player/space, and his willingness to come for crosses is usually good (he got absolutely shrugged off a couple of times against WBA so we'll see how that is now) I think he also needs to be more vocal, but that like everything else will come with time

But he'll come good, just needs to do what every 20 year old that comes to the PL needs to do - bulk up, he's got the technique, reflexes & agility

On the subject of United Keepers, Lindegard is a very solid #2

• Upvote 1

Bale has said he will be targeting him tonight.

Tbh Almunia spent his career before arsenal as some journeyman being loaned out to various clubs while never actually playing much.

De Gea was/is Spains best young keeper, spent two seasons with one of the divisions top sides and won the Europa League and the Supercup.

It's not a question of is he proven, because for all intents and purposes he is, it's more can he adapt to the league and the massive pressure that goes with being between the sticks for United.

The only keeper that was available I would have taken over de gea was reina. And I don't even know if the links to him were even genuine or just paper talk.

When he can speak english fully it will make a big difference imo and realistically he's only made 2 errors that were basic shot stoppiong errors and the shane long one was down to nerves I'm certain. VDS would have let that dzeko shot in without doubt so I'm not worried in the slightest about him.

Not sure about Van Der Sar not saving the Dzeko shot tbh.

Yes he's only made the 2 mistakes but tbh he's only played 2 competitive games.

However I agree with what you said regarding things improving massively once he's learnt the language an settled down completly,

The media coverage on him has been quite extreme tbh, but where Uniteds involved it'll always be extreme, one way or the other, He'll be sleight in the ling run tho, an hopefully we have a keeper for a good while.

He'll come good eventually need to stick by him though for confidence reasons, but with Lindgard in reserve the question is if there are a few more mistakes and or "shaky" performances how long can Fergie keep Lindgard on the bench for?

Tbf he didn't save so many points in regard to making saves he has no right to (he did do this, but others do too), but it was that he was absolutely rock solid steady, held on to every shot that came at him no matter the surface or speed of it, always collected crosses with confidence, brilliant kicking with either foot and generally comfortable in distribution and with the ball at his feet.

It wasn't so much the fact that he made excellent saves, De Gea can do that all day, it was the fact VDS was dependable. The backline knew this and it helped to no end.

Those heart in mouth shots that you think are going to be spilled or palmed into someones path, he just smothered them every time. Had mad tekkers.

Being steady > Being spectacular

This is why Casillias is overrated - as for De Gea, a LOT of stuff comes off him

Guest Portuguese

he made many mistakes last year

i think hes just error prone in general

He is good for his age I have always maintained this and also said United could of done better in terms of a replacement for VDS

• Downvote 1

Guest M12 Part 2

I woulda been happier with stekelenburg for now and defo neuer If he hadn't parred us off so early. But tbh he's the best choice for the long term. I just hope he doesn't make too many mistakes in the short term.

Not sure about Van Der Sar not saving the Dzeko shot tbh.

He let in Messi's shot in CL Final.

That was a basic save imo.

But the good thing is we have a strong defensive unit so he will get the time and protection.

Would have preferred Neuer above him though.

Neuer just come like a rebore Schmeichel.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

De Gea loves life at OT

United's official monthly magazine, Inside United, caught up with Reds goalkeeper David De Gea just before Christmas.

In the first of our two-part excerpt, the Spanish goalkeeper speaks of adjusting to English football, communicating with his defenders and his title ambitions.

You've now experienced a few months in the Premier League after two seasons in Spain's La Liga. What are the differences?

Well, I think it's fair to say La Liga and the Premier League are the two best leagues in the world and in that sense they're very similar, they're at a similar level. But it's well known that here in England the style of play is rather more physical and as a goalkeeper you've got to be right on it, you've got to be attentive all through the match. The players coming at you can shoot from any angle, they can shoot from distance – you need to be aware that you might get a shot from distance at any time. Having said that, there's also a lot of crosses from the sides, a lot of high balls and aerial play. So you've got to be able to get in there and block, interfere and stop shots being taken.

Have you had to adjust much to this, or were you expecting these differences?

I knew when I was coming that this was the style of play I was coming into, so I was pretty much ready and I was already confident when I came here. I knew I'd need to train a lot, which I do. I concentrate a lot on blocking shots and it is going well for me.

Which players were the first to help you settle in when you initially arrived at the club?

Those who speak my language: Chicharito, Antonio [Valencia], Nani. All of them, of course, but specifically those guys because of the language. If I had any questions or problems I could ask them, they helped me a great deal.

In terms of communicating with your defence, how's your English?

[The interpreter asks this question in English and the reply comes in the same language] Good, yes. [English classes going ok?] Yes. [De Gea goes back into Spanish] I understand a lot but it is more difficult for me to express myself. Shouts to my defence, warning calls and that sort of thing: I can do all that fine.

The United defence has chopped and changed a lot, with injuries and rotation. Does that make life more difficult for you?

First thing's first: whoever starts for United, we've got the squad, we've got the players and they're all really good. The level of expectation and the level of play is very high at United but we do have a substantial squad and we are free to rotate, and each player who comes in is a great player – I'd say each is the measure of the other.

You're very good with your feet. Did you ever play outfield as a youngster?

When I was really young, yeah, I did play outfield and I liked it a lot. I have to say, I scored quite a few goals! But when I got into a proper team I moved into goal and that's probably for the best because obviously that's what I now am. There are times in training when you share the outfield players' training methods, to develop ball skills and skills with your feet. It's all part of the game.

What have you made of the team’s season so far?

We made a very good start as a team but it was clear then that it would be difficult to maintain that level. So after five or six games our form did dip a little bit but now we're working hard and we're progressing. We're playing well, we're keeping the ball and we're going in the right direction.

Are you aware of United's reputation of coming into form in the second half of the season?

Yes, I do know about the second half syndrome. Last year we managed to peg Chelsea back a lot of points and went on to win, of course. I think generally as a club we have to maintain a hard line all season and keep our level high, and if the team can maintain that I think we can go on to do great things.

So what are your goals, both this season and in the long term?

Look where we are in the Premier League. We've got to keep up the pressure to go on and win that – obviously Manchester City are causing us a few headaches so it's not going to be easy but we've got to keep that up, that's our principle objective. As for me, longer term, I've every intention of spending many years here and I want to on to become a great United keeper, I want to earn and deserve the respect I hope to engender. And I want to help United make history here.

In the second of our two-part excerpt (you can also read part one), the Spanish goalkeeper speaks of his boyhood heroes, his life off the pitch and his taste for English food.

When you were growing up, who were the goalkeepers that inspired you?

Peter Schmeichel, of course. He was legendary and a role model for any goalkeeper. I've always admired and followed goalkeepers since I was very young. Another one is Iker Casillas of Real Madrid. I think he is an excellent role model for anyone thinking of goalkeeping.

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself as a person? What sort of character do you have?

Well I'm pretty cool, I'm chilled out, I'm relaxed, happy... on the field and off the field. Obviously when you're playing it's a serious thing and you've got to be serious about it but in life generally I am easy going. I like to be with my family, my friends, my girlfriend. I'm a regular guy.

What were your impressions when you first met Sir Alex Fergusion?

Well you can imagine what it is like, of course, with the record he has got, having spent 25 years at the top and at a club like this – it's amazing. It's a unique experience in itself and I was very proud to be able to meet him and spend time with him. All you can say is it's a privilege to meet the boss.

You've settled really well into the United goalmouth. How have you settled in Manchester and in England?

Very well. I'm very happy here in Manchester. I have my family with me, my brother's here, my girlfriend. Who wouldn't be happy? I'm playing at the best club in the world and it's all going great.

Are you enjoying the English food?

You know, before I came here people talked badly about English cuisine but to me, I've been surprised how good it is. I've never come across any unpleasantness about food in Britain. Maybe it's that bit easier for me because my mum is at home and she helps me with food. I'm putting weight on and growing into a big strong lad!

Football aside, what about the difference in culture between Spain and England, how are you finding that experience?

It is very different. The first thing that springs to mind is that people seem to be focused on home life more here in the UK. Things like most shops closing at 5pm - that's very different to Spain, where people tend to spend more time out and about, around the streets, around the shops and restaurants, the shops close very late over there. For me, I like to be relaxed, I like to be at peace so this comfortable, homey kind of life suits me.

• Upvote 1

Thoughts

Same as before he signed. United nr 1 is too big a job for someone with so little experience and it's showing. I hope it works long term. But I think he's just going to get his confidence crushed and lindegaard will end up first choice. Lindegaard is a much better keeper than people think he is.

Linda doesn't have that much experience either tbh

but so far he has looked far more assured than De Gea, which is no slight on De Gea's part

in the mean time i'd much rather SAF didn't chop and change the defence and the keeper soo much in the name of "rotation" - play Linda most of the time and slot in De Gea here and there when needs be

that way you take him out of spot light/protect whilst giving your supposed no.2 a good run of games to keep his confidence up and hopefully in time De Gea goes onto prove he's no.1 and worth his place in the team