Your Stomach

Sinister

On a serious note;Are issues around your stomach part and parcel of taking mass gainers/protein shakes and bulking on Protein?I'm talking about things like indigestion, flatulence and the rest.Been off the supplements and eating less protein since the festival season started and haven't had any issues, now its time to get back on it and to the gym, I'm not looking forward to it.Is it the type of supplements and/or types of protein you eat?Anyone have any ways to reduce the side effects or is it a case of man up and deal with it?

the processing aspect of protein shakes contribute to the flatulence. its something to do with the air processing i heari know exactly what you mean as ive been off the shakes for months and noticed a difference. i dont get indegestion much though with shakes, and i just get the best quality protein available thats not full of a whole bunch of other stuff.timing your shake intake is good too.. you cant have certain types of meals and then have milk and powdered chocolate or artificial flavors right afterwards. i have shakes 30-45 mins after meals, and when i have it right after a workout then i eat 45min later. but the type of protein you buy can increase or reduce the side effects

^not surprising really.gainers are full of shite and generally use cheaper whey sources

depends on the brand with me - Myprotein True Whey gave me really bad cramps - where was Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard gives me no cramps at all.
concentrate vs isolate./use a better quality powder, preferably one thats just whey isolate and some kind of natural flavouring.use less of it, dont make whey your main source of protein. I would advise no more than a 1/4 of ur protein intake come from powder.if you want a gainer, make ur own. -scoop of good quality whey, oats, olive oil, whole milk etc you can create a superior product than what their selling u.People trying to get bigger always focus on their protein intake WAY to much. when really they need to focus more on getting the calories in. you've got guys eating 300g of protein and like 2500 cals and then crying about being hardgainers. until ur eating 5000cals dont even want to hear that hardgainer bullshit.
  • Upvote 1

How much water do you drink? Sometimes it helps to drink a decent amount of water afterwards. You taking the shakes with milk or water? Might be lactose intolerant? Empty stomach? Try eating some toast or something before taking the shake. Also try drinking it a little slower. Downing 500+ml of weight gainer in one quick go can't be good for the stomach. Also start off slow and work your way up to the full amount it reccomends becuase if you've had some time off and are jumping straight back in to 3 or more shakles a day your stomach will have a hard time processing them. If none of that is causing it then change brands. Some brands effect some people differently. I'm on BSN true mass at the moment and not only does it taste vile but it brings me out in massive pimples. Will be going elsewhere next.

2 scoops of whey , 2 scoops of oats and 60g of peanut butter mixed with water comes in at about 920 cals. all quality food no fillers or excess filler carbs like in most weight gainers. get the oats from MyProtein they are about 1-2 quid more than buyin them from the shop but they are al;ready powdered and makes it much easier. for peanut butter use Whole Earth as it does not have any added sugar like the Sunpat stuff or go to Holland and Barrett and buy Meridan which is just 100% peanuts but its chewy as hell but jus for shakes will be fine. Or you could get it from myprotein as they do it now.if you want to increase cals more swap the water for whole milk that will add like an extra 350 cals to it

2 scoops of whey , 2 scoops of oats and 60g of peanut butter mixed with water comes in at about 920 cals. all quality food no fillers or excess filler carbs like in most weight gainers. get the oats from MyProtein they are about 1-2 quid more than buyin them from the shop but they are al;ready powdered and makes it much easier. for peanut butter use Whole Earth as it does not have any added sugar like the Sunpat stuff or go to Holland and Barrett and buy Meridan which is just 100% peanuts but its chewy as hell but jus for shakes will be fine. Or you could get it from myprotein as they do it now.if you want to increase cals more swap the water for whole milk that will add like an extra 350 cals to it
if u aint got time to make this for a post work out, is standard protein shake gd enuf without the oats?

Fuaaark quick 950 cals!pos for that, that will do me nicely.

^not surprising really.gainers are full of shite and generally use cheaper whey sources
depends on the brand with me - Myprotein True Whey gave me really bad cramps - where was Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard gives me no cramps at all.
concentrate vs isolate./use a better quality powder, preferably one thats just whey isolate and some kind of natural flavouring.use less of it, dont make whey your main source of protein. I would advise no more than a 1/4 of ur protein intake come from powder.if you want a gainer, make ur own. -scoop of good quality whey, oats, olive oil, whole milk etc you can create a superior product than what their selling u.People trying to get bigger always focus on their protein intake WAY to much. when really they need to focus more on getting the calories in. you've got guys eating 300g of protein and like 2500 cals and then crying about being hardgainers. until ur eating 5000cals dont even want to hear that hardgainer bullshit.
I need to print this off an put it on my wall, if I could pos I would

never had any of these problems with gold standard, usually feel a bit bloated right afterwards but i'm sure that's part and parceland a word to the wiseNEVER drive black coffee straight after a protein shake, afghan in my en-suite is an understatement