MySpace is set to relauch

DJ Stashman

Speaking to AdAge, the newly appointed senior VP-global marketing Al Dejewski compared the website to a young adult male, who was expressing himself through music but became distracted by classified ads and horoscopes along the way.

"This young adult male needs to be put on a diet, we need to get it on P90X, clean its system and get back to its foundation. And we've found that foundation is music," he said. "No other music destination online today can claim the breadth of partnership we have with the four major music labels in addition to the tens of millions of independent artists and the libraries of their songs."

MySpace will relanch as a music hub later this year, with help from celebrities and majors brands including car companies and fast-food outlets. Going by Dejewski's "young adult male" metaphor, they just sound like a whole new set of distractions from that focus on music.

Many observers say the social network died when Rupert Murdoch bought it for $580 million in 2005. The public perception of the site, and its declining traffic, led to its sale this year for a relatively small $35 million to Specific Media and personal investors including Justin Timberlake.

Despite the supposed decline in its popularity, MySpace claims it has "over 70 million active users globally on a monthly basis, and in the U.S. It’s in the 30 to 40 million range right now."

What do UG readers think - does the site have a chance of coming back from their spectacular loss to Facebook, or is it doomed?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/industry_news/myspace_to_relaunch_as_music_hub.html

lol will be interesting to see how they resell it.

They must be planning something big otherwise they would have just wrote it off and started fresh.

It is very frustrating to use even now, page and music loads too slow so they have to overhaul the system to make people even want to touch it again.

I'd be surprised if they had 1 million regular users worldwide, in that I mean people who log in more than once a week and spend more than 5 mins on the site.

They have ALOT of work to do.

Ive missed myspace

It was that place to network purely for music people and fans

It was for us - no chance of coming across your family or boss on there

But now with titter, facebook, bandcamp, and soundcloud - do we really need it? Not really.

It WOULD be useful to have everything in one place again but I dont see people moving back ((I hear some bands and music industry heads still use it).