NBA 2012/2013

Mr. Gayle

NEW YORK (AP) -- Representatives for NBA owners and players will meet twice this week, perhaps only days before training camps would have to be postponed without a new labor deal.

Staffs from both sides will meet Wednesday without leadership from either side, a person with knowledge of the plans said Tuesday. Commissioner David Stern, Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver, union executive director Billy Hunter, president Derek Fisher of the Lakers and other top negotiators would rejoin the talks for another meeting Thursday.

Without a breakthrough then, the NBA would likely be out of time before being forced to make changes to the calendar.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because the meeting details are supposed to remain confidential.

Camps have been expected to open Oct. 3. During the 1998 lockout that reduced the season to 50 games, camps that were scheduled to begin Oct. 5 were postponed on Sept. 24.

The Nov. 1 start of the regular season could even be in jeopardy with the sides still fighting over the salary cap structure. Players were planning to make what Hunter called a "significant" financial concession during a full bargaining session last Tuesday, but that fell through when owners rejected the union's insistence that the current cap system remain intact as a condition of their money move.

Both sides then met with their members Thursday. Owners were in Dallas, where they were updated on the labor talks and discussed an enhanced revenue sharing system that Stern said is coming once the deal with the players is complete.

The union has argued it should be part of these negotiations, believing owners could address their losses by sharing better among themselves.

Owners also want a larger portion of basketball revenues after players were guaranteed 57 percent in the old collective bargaining agreement that expired when June 30 ended. Players had proposed lowering that to 54.3 percent before the lockout began, and though it's not clear how much lower they were prepared to go last week, Stern indicated it had them moving in the right direction toward agreement on that aspect.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of what he said is true though.

The true greats in the past have their rings. Its all well and good man can win a game on his own, but whne there is no ring at the end.....

The true greats in the past have their rings. Its all well and good man can win a game on his own, but whne there is no ring at the end.....

Not really...

Patrick Ewing, Charles barkley, John Stockton, Karl Malone etc dont have rings yet they're all hall of famers and among the greatest players ever.

Lebrons just a target.

Not really...

Patrick Ewing, Charles barkley, John Stockton, Karl Malone etc dont have rings yet they're all hall of famers and among the greatest players ever.

Lebrons just a target.

The hate is too much

• Downvote 2

Start the game imo. If there's a season it will probably start in December/January and run for 50ish games. This is what happened in the last lockout in 1998

The owners always want the players to miss 3 or 4 paychecks and then test their resolve.

Not really...

Lebrons just a target.

tbf all of those players all got stick during/after their careers for not winning rings, and none of them referred to themselves as the King or the Chosen One.

ESPN are just trolling for viewers and NBA interest anyway, Skip Bayless is the Lebron hater not Stephen A. this is some contrived role reversal soap opera for ratings as Flojo said

Dwight Howard was asked about his free agent future in an interview with Esquire's Scott Raab.

“I just don’t know what else I can do (in Orlando),” said Howard.

Asked by Raab if he sees himself in a much larger market, Howard said, “There’s more you can do in a bigger place. I’m stuck in a tough position because I feel like right now, where I’m at, I’ve done so much.

“And I just don’t know what else I can do. I can’t live for everybody else. I don’t know what decision I’m gonna make as of right now. It’s been crazy. Everybody wants me to come here, come play here, come to our team, do this. It’s a great feeling, though, to be wanted.”

Raab then said, “You’re gone. I can feel it.”

Howard responds, “The toughest part for me is the city — the people. They’ve got burgers named after me in Orlando, they’ve got a Web site saying, “Please stay.” I love the people in the city. I’ve literally sat on the bench with a towel on my head crying, because I feel the passion in the stands. I just think about what’s going to be best for what I want to accomplish in my life. And I don’t want that door to close on me, wherever that door is. I don’t want it to close.”

Come to L.A. :Y: