20 Years Ago Today

Mr. Gayle

The Premier League was born.

I still remember watching the 1st match with my uncle, Teddy Sheringham scoring for Forest.

Another early match I remember is Jason Cundy scoring a goal from the halfway line, was a windy day

Olders would remember how footy used to be before Sky, Saints and Greavesy lol. No display on the screen, so you had no idea what the score was or the time if you just walked in on the match lol

/

Used the remember the launch advert lol

/

Another thing they brought was Soccer Saturday, if im not out I have that on all day :Y:

George Best always drunk lol

/

Of course the two Liverpool - Newcastle matches stand out as the best, another mention would be the 5-0 win for Newcastle over Man U. Us v Spurs in that 4-4 game. Man U coming back from 3-0 down at Spurs to end up winning 5-3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IyRjEErTbU

/

Some incidents that stood out during Prem League has been Rio and the drug test story, Adams being an alchy, Andy Gray and Richard Keys getting sacked, Terry and Wayne Bridge, Shearer saying he was gaonna allow the 98 World Cup.

/

Andy Gray, nuff said lol. When he 1st come with all that tech on MNF we were like :o Will never been the same without his voice, some say his was the voice of football along Martin Tyler.

/

Anyway cant even imagine life with no Sky Sports, long may it continue.

Thank you Alan Sugar.

• Upvote 6

Guest Portuguese

Is it true from 1992-2001 there were a lot of league two players playing in the premier league(quality wise) because I have been told this by many people and the Premier league years program shows it's not a myth.

im just about old enough to remember the season of football league on ITV when Leeds won the League 91? (hated seeing all chapman and the grinning teeth when they won the league ahead of us all sitting on there sofa at home watching the game)

then i remember the following season i never had sky so continued watching on ITV where they showed the First Division where Newcastle just bodied the league

then got sky the next season 93/94 was one of the best seasons imo

my personal Fav top 5 season in the prem league are

1993/94

1998/99

2002/03

2006/07

2007/08

Big seasons

im just about old enough to remember the season of football league on ITV when Leeds won the League 91? (hated seeing all chapman and the grinning teeth when they won the league ahead of us all sitting on there sofa at home watching the game)

then i remember the following season i never had sky so continued watching on ITV where they showed the First Division where Newcastle just bodied the league

then got sky the next season 93/94 was one of the best seasons imo

my personal Fav top 5 season in the prem league are

1993/94

1998/99

2002/03

2006/07

2007/08

Big seasons

Beardsley and Cole murked

Yeah Lee Chapman lol

Guest Portuguese

Cantona winning games on his own in 95/96 & 96/97

Henry deading teams at Highbury

Kevin Phillips winning the golden boot

Sven parring Marcus Stewart despite finishing top scorer

Ricketts becoming gassed after scoring 12 goals before his England debut

Wanchope's goal vs Man Utd

Yeboah goals vs Liverpool/Wimbledon

Premiership on ITV(It's a beautiful day)

Wayne Rooney 'Remember the name'

RVN

Cristiano Ronaldo going from a skinny teenager with skills to an powerful athlete turned poacher

• Upvote 1

nostalgic thread, that advert almost seems like a parody its so stereotypical of the era.

/

fack the memories of the sticker books, premiership, world cup, wwf, buying a pack from the shop on the way to school, fuckin hell that would bring me joy, nothing else in life to worry about life was so simple, i miss those times.