Young African Americans Against Stereotypes

MARLO STANSFIELD

I came across this site that I found to have a bit of interesting info that some of you may or may not of been aware of, I know we are not state side on here but its still worth a read.

the link is http://www.yaaams.org/

a particular article on there that got me is as follows.

“Girrrlll, that’s what they all do: Cling to a sista while they’re broke and in school. Then get a contract and put a ring on the white girl hand.” Yeah, if you haven’t said it you’ve heard it. The greatest issue in American racism is not separation of the races; in this melting pot we call America, it is actually the sexuality of the races. The notion, the irrational fear, that the black man is some brainless sex fiend fixated on white women, has fueled the hate groups. Is it a by accident, or coincidence, that the view is still propagated by the media? YAAAMS thinks not. The truth of the matter is that 90 percent of African-American married NBA players (such as Pat Ewing, Tim Hardaway, and Mitch Richmond) are married to African-American women. But most people believe that the majority of African-American NBA players are married to non-African-Americans. Why? Because the media highlights and shows the African-American player’s wife who is not African-American five times more than showing the African-American wife. This biased or selective coverage gives people the false impression.

Look at the marital status of the 2001 NBA All-Star rosters:

Eastern Conference

Player

Marital Status

Allen Iverson Married to African-American woman

Tracy McGrady Married to African-American woman

Alonzo Mourning Married to African-American woman

Vince Carter Married to African-American woman

Grant Hill Married to African-American woman

Allan Houston Married to African-American woman

Stephon Marbury Married to African-American woman

Anthony Mason Not married

Dikembe Mutombo Married to African-American woman

Theo Ratliff Married to African-American woman

Glenn Robinson Married to African-American woman

Latrell Spreweel Engaged to African-American woman

Jerry Stackhouse Married to African-American woman

Western Conference

Player

Marital Status

Jason Kidd Married to Arabic-Indian woman

Kobe Byrant Married to Hispanic-Caucasian

Shaquille O’Neal Engaged to African-American woman

Tim Duncan Married to Caucasian

Chris Webber Not married

Kevin Garnett Not married

Karl Malone Married to Philippino woman

Gary Payton Married to African-American woman

David Robinson Married to Hispanic woman

Rasheed Wallace Married to African-American woman

Other Examples of How the Media Distorts Perceptions During the 2000 NBA playoffs, Shaquille O’Neal, Los Angeles Laker, announced his engagement to an African-American woman. The media did not cover the engagement. When fellow LA-Laker Kobe Bryant announced his engagement to a non-African-American, all the media was abuzz with the story.

ojfirstwife.jpg

Another Example: Despite all the O.J. Simpson trial coverage, many people did not even know his first marriage was to a black woman and that they had three kids together. The media rarely interviewed or featured her; instead, many photos of Simpson and his white wife were constantly in the press. The sad thing is, even before the trial coverage-for years, in fact-groups similar to YAAAMS had been pressuring the media to show more African-American wives of African-American professional athletes.

Ill be honest, I truly didn't even know OJ had a black wife before hand but I was never really interested in issues like that back then so didnt pay it no mind.

either way its a fairly good site I would recommend to all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

marlos strongly on this black power vibe

continue

lol Im not you know, I actually find the term black POWER corny, I just like looking at things from a black perspective that is actually beneficial to black people is all

yes

beneficial..

enpowering..

black power

no?

lol okay you got me

basically its not a term that I use is what I mean reason being people take it different ways, you got man like THIS

WHO I DO NOT FUCK WITH OR ROLL WITH OR LIKE I CANT STAND PEOPLE LIKE THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsNUQ-Op5cA

then you got people like THIS

WHO I DO LIKE AND WHAT I SUBSCRIBE TO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owbkT5usV9M

most people do not know the difference from a glance

one has info which can be used for a good purpose and the other is just empty rhetoric with the "i hate white people" vibe me and a few people call them "nuts and berries niggas" as they keep talking about going back to africa (but never do) and use the term hotep for the sake of it.

you may not be on some black power vibe but you are on a confused vibe for sure. i dont believe such stats apply to Black british footballers. .....secondly it doesnt matter if most of the G-Z list celebs are married to black pple, the A-D's in this country are not.. the media correctly highlight the most famous ones... your definitely on this Kwesi-amantap- amhotep vibe..which is just a bunch of bloody idiots in my opinion with all the talk in the world and zero action..holding meetings to disKuss "AfriKaAA"..weekly when they have done nothing to improve their communtiy...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No one cares venom, i have expressed more than once that you are a obsessed individual who can't provide original thought provoking material of your own, all you do is create impotent reactionary rants like a washed up journalist who bases all of their points on this forum on his personal issues with individual users that he doesn't know. You would disagree with basic mathematics if the info is provided by someone you do not like.

You come to EVERY topic I make or take part in specifically because its ME in it which explains exactly what kind of feckless tosser you are.

I have absolutely nothing to do with those people you mentioned as I dislike them as much as I dislike you.

• Upvote 1

once again... you complain about coming into your topics.. thing is your topics are simple...for simpleminds...based on stereotypes and stupid talk, not even entertaining......im commenting cos you think ur making a point when you rarely ever do.... the topics i mainly comment on or debate in..you cant touch cos youve always been a dunce.....you cared enough to comment..so next time "you dont care"....just shut the fuck up?

you are welcome to go to any topic you chose i cant or wont tell you what to do the point is your WHOLE POINT OF BEING is to follow me when you log on and if its not me its someone else.

a parasite to be honest as soon as you see the name marlo your heart races.

its just that simple and its a sad state of affairs.

continue

lol Im not you know, I actually find the term black POWER corny, I just like looking at things from a black perspective that is actually beneficial to black people is all

yes

beneficial..

enpowering..

black power

no?

lol okay you got me

basically its not a term that I use is what I mean reason being people take it different ways, you got man like THIS

one has info which can be used for a good purpose and the other is just empty rhetoric with the "i hate white people" vibe me and a few people call them "nuts and berries niggas" as they keep talking about going back to africa (but never do) and use the term hotep for the sake of it.

Your nuts Seti is a soldier, he has a different way of getting his message across that you may not like but his heart is fully in the right places, and he studeied under the great Ashra Kwesi, and Dr Ben, look at what he is saying, he talks the truth and thats what counts, whether he has a doctorate or not doesn't bother me, at the end of the day beyond the circus he is a well educated man.

you may not be on some black power vibe but you are on a confused vibe for sure. i dont believe such stats apply to Black british footballers. .....secondly it doesnt matter if most of the G-Z list celebs are married to black pple, the A-D's in this country are not.. the media correctly highlight the most famous ones... your definitely on this Kwesi-amantap- amhotep vibe..which is just a bunch of bloody idiots in my opinion with all the talk in the world and zero action..holding meetings to disKuss "AfriKaAA"..weekly when they have done nothing to improve their communtiy...

Why do you make statements like this?

How do you know Seti isn't impacting his community, have you ever been to Detroit, are you in touch with the man or just because you aren't aware of what people are doing means they are not doing it?

Kwesi who Seti studied under, has impacted his community in ways very few have, his work has impacted black scholarship and has helped many Africans across the diaspora have a better grasp of their istoryy, how is that not helping his community, or are you going to tell me that the likes of Diop and Chancellor Williams haven't done anything for their community as well? And for the record i've met Ashra Kweis before, and he does a lot for his people, he is actually out there supporting his people outside of the scholarship, you are nopt around these circles so you have no knowledge of what is going in.

continue

yes

beneficial..

enpowering..

black power

no?

lol okay you got me

Your nuts Seti is a soldier, he has a different way of getting his message across that you may not like but his heart is fully in the right places, and he studeied under the great Ashra Kwesi, and Dr Ben, look at what he is saying, he talks the truth and thats what counts, whether he has a doctorate or not doesn't bother me, at the end of the day beyond the circus he is a well educated man.

I am not doubting his knowledge or where he heart is I am talking about where it leads, he is merely a poverty pimp in my opinion and you find people like him tend to focus on women as women tend to be the ones open to such things more than anyone else as they are moved by words and not action.

This is obviously just opinion I aint saying dont follow him I am just saying he is off no use to me neither are any of the other eygyptology cult types like him, they are good for shock value but thats about it I found the whole separation between his black power cartell with people like Aisha Skehmet (spelt wrong) interesting.

In short this guy (to me) speaks more about killing crackas then he would dare speak about actually DOING like the claude anderson guy in the other video but again that takes a different mind set.

Anyone that dislikes Kwesi, Dr Ben etc on a big man ting loses major respect from me, major respect, lol i swear i would like to know what you lot are doing for your community, cause to show people like that disrespect when they have shaped our scholarship is baffling

no no no

stop stop stop

ya misunderstanding me again I do not have a problem with THOSE people no one has even said they do so i do not know where THAT is coming from but to me seti (and i am specifically speaking about seti) is a basterdised version of someone trying to be like them, he also was selling crack during his conscious tirade and to me thats just a walking contradiction.

people can mentally masterbate all day about the people they know and blah blah blah from Dr Henrik Clarke to Dr York but in the end it just ends up being some form of cult where loads of black people all pretend they are from egypt when they likely are from somewhere else like west africa.

Ya get people talking about astral projection and all kinds of nonsense and before you know it it ends up becoming escapism and when you talk to them about education they come with "thats the white mans way" and then...........

boy

continue

yes

beneficial..

enpowering..

black power

no?

lol okay you got me

I am not doubting his knowledge or where he heart is I am talking about where it leads, he is merely a poverty pimp in my opinion and you find people like him tend to focus on women as women tend to be the ones open to such things more than anyone else as they are moved by words and not action.

This is obviously just opinion I aint saying dont follow him I am just saying he is off no use to me neither are any of the other eygyptology cult types like him, they are good for shock value but thats about it I found the whole separation between his black power cartell with people like Aisha Skehmet (spelt wrong) interesting.

In short this guy (to me) speaks more about killing crackas then he would dare speak about actually DOING like the claude anderson guy in the other video but again that takes a different mind set.

He focuses on women because he realises they are the most under appreciated class in society, thats why he focuses on them, they are the people who raise our kids, in a society where Black men leave their kids at an alarming rate, why wouldn't he focus on women?

And Seti doesn't just speak about killing crackas, have you listen to his podcats, he speaks about a whole range of issues and is very knowledgeable on the history of the Nile valley civilization. Something tells me that you just like them University educated black men who have been assimilated to white culture, the likes of Tavis Smiley and Cornel West,tp be honest i don't mind them, just like i don't mind Seti, there both two important parts of the struggle and there is no reason why they can't co exist together, and thats why i respect the likes of Kwesi Dr Ben and John Henrik Clarke even more, cause they struck the balance between the two extremes.

83021620.jpg

my dads views on "black power" etc and one female from some magazine in 2002.

good post

I like what your dad was saying but the part i have an issue with is the "individual" part.

If we are all individual how do we know what code of ethics to follow in terms of progress, I am not saying I want a dictatorship but people are naturally selfish and do not do for the collective.

I found this video on you tube that kinda explains what I mean ill post it in a sec.

continue

yes

beneficial..

enpowering..

black power

no?

lol okay you got me

He focuses on women because he realises they are the most under appreciated class in society, thats why he focuses on them, they are the people who raise our kids, in a society where Black men leave their kids at an alarming rate, why wouldn't he focus on women?

And Seti doesn't just speak about killing crackas, have you listen to his podcats, he speaks about a whole range of issues and is very knowledgeable on the history of the Nile valley civilization. Something tells me that you just like them University educated black men who have been assimilated to white culture, the likes of Tavis Smiley and Cornel West,tp be honest i don't mind them, just like i don't mind Seti, there both two important parts of the struggle and there is no reason why they can't co exist together, and thats why i respect the likes of Kwesi Dr Ben and John Henrik Clarke even more, cause they struck the balance between the two extremes.

I am just explaining to you why I am not following him , it does nothing for me or MY WOMAN or any of the women I am directly linked to for you as a woman i guess he is the right option but for me as a black man he simply has no use but I wont chastise you for this as its your life but it gets to a point that I cant listen to people who aint active.

I go as far as Amos Wilson and Dr Henrik Clarke I do not really need to go to more of these guys to relearn the same thing from another mouth but again black people have a tendency to enjoy being told stories.

Just one of those things.

Some things are not for everyone.

Anyone that dislikes Kwesi, Dr Ben etc on a big man ting loses major respect from me, major respect, lol i swear i would like to know what you lot are doing for your community, cause to show people like that disrespect when they have shaped our scholarship is baffling

no no no

stop stop stop

ya misunderstanding me again I do not have a problem with THOSE people no one has even said they do so i do not know where THAT is coming from but to me seti (and i am specifically speaking about seti) is a basterdised version of someone trying to be like them, he also was selling crack during his conscious tirade and to me thats just a walking contradiction.

people can mentally masterbate all day about the people they know and blah blah blah from Dr Henrik Clarke to Dr York but in the end it just ends up being some form of cult where loads of black people all pretend they are from egypt when they likely are from somewhere else like west africa.

Ya get people talking about astral projection and all kinds of nonsense and before you know it it ends up becoming escapism and when you talk to them about education they come with "thats the white mans way" and then...........

boy

You see this post is bullshit.

First of all none of these scholars that study Egypt, downplay the roles of 'Sub Saharan Africa'(pardon my usage of that term), they study the Nile Valley Civiilzation because it is the pinnacle of what Africans have achieved on that continent, and furthermore was a civilization that was an amalgamation of different types of African peoples, African peoples that came to that area from the South as Ancient Egyptians attested to themselves. The reason why the emphasis has been put on the Nile Valley is because for hundredfs of years it was a subject in which eurocentricst try to paint as a European civilization, thats why you had the likes of Diop fighting the cause, and also explaining the links between the peoples of the Nile Valley crescent and the peoples from the West and Central Africa, in all he proved that all African history and peoples tie together.

And why use the word cult to describe it, its not a cult, putting Dr York and Henrik Clarke in the same sentence also proves your lack of knowledge on the subject and makes you come across as some stupid eurocentric. There is nothing cultish about studying your history, and gaining a better understanding of the people that came before you, only a fool would say such thing.

continue

yes

beneficial..

enpowering..

black power

no?

lol okay you got me

I am just explaining to you why I am not following him , it does nothing for me or MY WOMAN or any of the women I am directly linked to for you as a woman i guess he is the right option but for me as a black man he simply has no use but I wont chastise you for this as its your life but it gets to a point that I cant listen to people who aint active.

I go as far as Amos Wilson and Dr Henrik Clarke I do not really need to go to more of these guys to relearn the same thing from another mouth but again black people have a tendency to enjoy being told stories.

Just one of those things.

Some things are not for everyone.

Thats kl i don't dispute that.

lol at comparing diop to kwesi...how many books has he published?

Why wouldn't you compare them, because Kwesi hasn't got validation from mainstream scholars, well neither did Diop and put Kwesi in the Unesco conference and he would destroy them Europeans just like Diop did, people like Kwesi and Keita are the people who carried on from where Diop left off.