UK "think tank" wants Govt to teach kids in school to dismiss conspiracy theories

MARVELL

UK think tank DEMOS is advising the govt to asses information they find on the internet and want teachers to train and equip teachers with the tools to address internet conspiracy theories

Is the internet rewriting history?............................................

Osama Bin Laden is not dead; 9/11 was an inside job; and police were slow to tackle this summer’s rioters as an excuse to lock up a whole raft of young black men.

Conspiracy theories like these are nothing new; opposing views to the official line given by authorities are in fact crucial in exposing deceptions......................................

However, independent think tank Demos says that young people do not know how to navigate this information when it appears on the Internet..................

“We have something like a Wild West on the internet,” says Jamie Bartlett, senior researcher at Demos.

‘Trust’..............................

As part of their research into the influence of the internet on young people, Demos teamed up with creative agency Bold for a workshop exploring digital literacy at a secondary school in Tower Hamlets, in East London.........................

Pupils were asked to rate various sources of information – the government, Twitter, the Guardian newspaper, their family – according to how much they trusted it. The results were telling............

Closest to the heading ‘Trust’ the pupils placed YouTube; somewhere near the heading ‘Distrust’, they placed the government.

Yet, while we're on the "conspiracy theory" tip..................this is the Logo of the think tank making such claims 314wg8m.png TTKK................ Demos is a 'think tank' that is said to be “independent” but is, in reality, strongly connected with corporate media and the government. In fact, the Chair of Demos, Philip Collins was the Chief Speech Writer to the Prime Minister Tony Blair until 2007, and two other executives used to work in the executive arm of the conservative party.

They're getting pissed that alternative sources of information are either exposing them, or getting people aware that alot of what they talk about is bull shit. now they want to prevent kids from having an open mind..

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

tbf.

You have fraff from both sides of the pond. ( What we are fed from history/ News vs conspiracy theories)

Ob the other hand I will rather make my own choices than been dictated to..

I remember when I was a kid and the first time my parent took me on holdiay to nigeria.

Teachers in school used to say africa was a complete jungle. Everyone lives in mud houses, with zebra & lions strolling around the gaff and what not.

Made me proper shook to go back then. It was totally the opposite when I went...

Alt of these teachers &the Education asa whole feeds s poison for the mind in terms of social, religious & cultural aspects as a whole.

I will rather not welcome this think tank bollocks tbh.

there should be different categories, shit like that 9/11 stuff n alot of other things I wouldnt really call CT cos they come with alot of evidence and back their shit up with logic, still dnt believe that 9/11 stuff but I wont lie the guys go in

randomly sayin someones a lizard aint really cuttin it for me, so thats the type of shit i call CT