Anti-corporate protests to hit London Saturday #OccupyLSE

DJ Stashman

LONDON: Protests against corporate power that have taken took hold in the United States are to hit Britain on Saturday with a rally in front of the London Stock Exchange, organisers revealed Wednesday.

Occupy London Stock Exchange (OccupyLSX) plans to launch a "peaceful occupation" near the British capital's financial nerve centre, and its page on social networking site Facebook has attracted 3,500 confirmed attendees.

"This is a people-powered movement protesting against the increasing social and economic injustice in the UK," OccupyLSX supporter Kai Wargalla explained.

"We want to stand with...the overwhelming majority who value people over profit. We want to make our voices heard against greed, corruption and for a democratic, just society," she added.

The group will host workshops, assemblies and discussion groups during Saturday's protest against the financial sector and its regulatory system.

OccupyLSX is backed by British anti-austerity group UK Uncut, the London-based Assembly of the Spanish 15M movement and the People's Assemblies Network Global Day of Action.

"The success of the square occupations across Spain in calling for democracy and an end to austerity, alongside the rapid growth of the Wall Street occupation, has shown that this is what is needed in London," UK Uncut supporter Peter Hodgson said.

Thousands of anti-corporate demonstrators have been mounting protests in lower Manhattan, the New York area where Wall Street is located, for more than two weeks.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics/nation/anti-corporate-protests-to-hit-london/articleshow/10320627.cms

yeh true..the youts that rioted were so dumb but at least they shut london down for 4 days, just 2000 or so of them.....500,000 marched against a war in Iraq and british troops are still there 10 yrs later. with these riots.......many of the youth services that were cut are being held back.....the govt got frantically scared even with all the fronting and locking up. They were shook. they will not be moved with a bunch of pansys holding placards dancing to are krishna

• Upvote 3

Nah there's 1000's of people out by St Paul's Cathedral. Julian Assange is/was there.

People are being kettlled and split into smaller groups.

My fucking battery won't charge man, been wanting to leave my house for the last 3 hours but not without my camera. Might just have to leave it, and head out anyway.

Just got back.

Was good to be honest.

The vibe was good. A lot of intellectual people were still there giving speeches and sharing their thoughts when I first got there...

Couple police officers got badded up, then they brought the dogs out.

Numbers had decreased to a few hundred by the time i'd left a few hours ago.

They're mostly calling it the occupation launch party. ie: this is the first day.

Most officers I spoke to though said they weren't going to be there by morning. I reckon they're going to move in on them in the early hours of the morning.

6HQUq.jpg

good news everyone!

''Its official we are occupying st pauls! The vicar has given his blessing and asked the police to move :D #occupylsx #occupylondon''

''We would like to express our profound gratitude to @giles_fraser and the rest of the team at St Paul's for their generosity & understanding.''

Fully don't get what happened last night.

It went from those on the steps being kettled in and no-1 able to join them.

Then they tried to clear the pavement on both sides of the road using force.

Then people weren't having that.

Which lead to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNfrq1RDhVU

So the dogs came in and put on a show.

Then like 20 mins later, they thought fuck it and they let everyone just chill.

• Upvote 1