Frank Ocean

Natalie

Frank Ocean, a member of hip-hop collective Odd Future and solo star in his own right, has revealed that he is gay.

The singer became the centre of rumours about his sexuality after playing journalists his new album, 'Channel Orange', which has open and honest lyrics about his past. Adressing these rumours, Ocean posted what would have been liner notes from the album onto his Tumblr.

In the extract Ocean discusses falling in love with a male friend - a love which was unreciprocated - and how his life changed since that point.

On his Tumblr blog, Ocean wrote: "4 summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too. WE spent that summer, and the summer after, together.

Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I’d see him, and his smile. I’d hear his conversation and his silence until it was time to sleep. Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless. There was no escaping, no negotiatin with the feeling. No choice. It was my first love, it changed my life. Back then, my mind would wander to the women I had been with, the ones I cared for and thought I was in love with. I reminisced about the sentimental songs I enjoyed when I was a teenager. The ones I played when I experienced a girlfriend for the first time. I realized they were written in a language I did not yet speak."

In a prelude to the blog post, Ocean wrote on Twitter that: "We’re all a bunch of golden million dollar babies. my hope is that the babies born these days will inherit less of the bullshit than we did. anyhow, what i’m about to post is for anyone who cares to read. it was intended to fill the thank you’s section in my album credits, but with all the rumors going round.. i figured it’d be good to clarify.. "

Ocean rose to fame in 2011 when he leaked his own mixtape, 'Nostalgia/ Ultra', behind the back of his Def Jam record label. The singer went on to work with Jay-Z and Kanye West on 'Watch The Throne' with his debut album 'Channel Orange' due for release in July.

wtf

looool, he's the NME version, Tyler confirmed it at the end

Frank Ocean opens up about sexuality

The Odd Future crooner reveals that his first love was a man in Tumblr post

Frank Ocean has opened up about his sexuality, suggesting that he is gay or bisexual.

Addressing widespread rumours about his orientation, the singer and Odd Future affiliate has admitted in a post on his Tumblr that his first love was a man.

Ocean's post began saying that he had originally planned to publish the open letter on the liner notes for his forthcoming new album 'Channel Orange', but had decided to go public with it now to address speculation. He prefaced his statement saying he hopes that “the babies born these days will inherit less of the bullshit than we did.”

He wrote: "4 summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too. We spent that summer, and the summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I'd see him, and his smile. Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realised I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless. There was no escaping, no negotiating to the women I had been with, the ones I cared for and thought I was in love with.

"I sat there and told my friend how I felt. I wept as the words left my mouth. I grieved for then. Knowing I could never take them back for myself. He patted my back. He said kind things. He did his best, but he wouldn't admit the same. He had to go back inside soon. It was late and his girlfriend was waiting for him upstairs. He wouldn't tell the truth about his feelings for me for another 3 years. I felt like I'd only imagined reciprocity for years.

I kept up a peculiar friendship with him because I couldn't imagine keeping up my life without him. I struggled to master myself and my emotions. I wasn't always successful.

Ocean went on to explain how the process of making music had given him the strength to admit who he really is. He added, "I don't know what happens now, and that's alrite. I don't have any secrets I need kept anymore. There's probably some small shit still, but you know what I mean. I was never alone, as much as it felt like it. As much as I still do sometimes. I never was. I don't think I ever could be. Thanks. To my first love, I'm grateful for you.

"Grateful that even though it wasn't what I hoped for and even though it was never enough, it was. Some things never are. And we were. I won't forget you. I won't forget the summer. I'll remember who I was when I met you. I'll remember who you were and how we've both changed and stayed the same.

"To my mother. You raised me strong. I know I'm only brave because you were first. So thank you. All of you. For everything good. I feel like a free man. If I listen closely, I can hear the sky falling too."

Odd Future's Tyler, The Creator, who has himself been accused of homophobia, took to his href="https://twitter.com/#!/fucktyler/">Twitter feed in solidarity with his friend, saying: "My Big Brother Finally Fucking Did That. Proud Of That Nigga Cause I Know That Shit Is Difficult Or Whatever. Anyway. I'm A Toilet."

http://www.nme.com/news/frank-ocean/64693

LOL, theyre prob trolling

good way to stop pirating pf music

as i want be downloading the album now

• Downvote 2

If I were to open a bar it'd standardly be a gay bar

More disposable income than anyone, no families n sh*t, nuff money to spend on getting f*cked up

/

Apparently his new album has some 'him's where 'her's would more commonly be heard

Don't care either way really, not like it's gonna turn you gay by listening to it is it

Unless you're kinda gay already

on we all try

i always tght when he says I believe that marriage isn't between a man & woman but between love & love that that was a bit iffy but i tght that was just his views

im dissapointed tbh

its like if r .kelly was fag - u couldnt listen to bump n grind etc etc knowing that he could be on about a bloke

but hes gonna be a big star now

as stated before the pink economy is a strong one imagine the fag fans he will gain now

shits disgusting

• Downvote 1