WiFi Cracking?

Hideandseek

wep is easier due to some vunerabilities

as far as i know wpa/wpa2 psk is possible if its a dictionary word

there is a set of tools called backtrack that you will need

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/

BackTrack is a Linux-based penetration testing arsenal that aids security professionals in the ability to perform assessments in a purely native environment dedicated to hacking.

UNFORTUNATELY

i have no experience using this but...i plan to soon :ghost:

there are tutorials on the websites forum

You can crack WEP passwords in 4 minutes using Backtrack, but in this day and age, no-one really uses it.

WPA2 are harder as you have to establish a 4 way handshake which takes a few minutes. Once thats done you need to decrypt the handshake file which has the password. Normally to do this you use a dictionary, however I havn't heard of anyone who has sucessfully cracked a WPA2 encrption. This is because the hardest passwords can be in the length of 64 characters containing both uppercase and lower case characters as well as numerals, this is something that would most probably never appear on a dictionary list.

To get a good idea of it, I have a dictionary with 60 million list combinations. The average laptop/pc can go through 2,000 keys a second, if you have an onboard graphics card you can utilize its power to bring the stat up to 20,000 keys a second. With these calculations It would take you weeks on end to go through the list. Theres a few online cloud services that offer a WPA2 decyption (as long as you have the handshake file) and they claim to have password list in excess of 600 Million, going through the list in a few hours (something that would take months on end on a normal pc/laptop), but they don't guarantee you the password, only that they will search through it using the dictionary list.

There is a script for backtrack called WiPhire that basically makes it easier for newbies to use it. Instead of typing out airodump-ng -c (channel) -w (file name) --bssid (bssid) etc.. you just select from a menu list what encryption you want to crack and the script does all the hard work for you.

• Upvote 1