3) One Time

4) Kool On

5) The Jump

6) Stomp

7) Lighthouse

8 ) I Remember

9) Tip The Scale

10) Redford

The Roots’ first ever concept album will be released on December 6th, with its first single “Make My” featuring Def Jam labelmate Big K.R.I.T. dropping on iTunes November 1st.

Undun is an existential re-telling of the short life of one Redford Stephens (1974-1999). Through the use of emotives and Redford’s internal dialogues the album seeks to illustrate the intersection of free will and prescribed destiny as it plays out ‘on the corner’. Utilizing a reverse narrative arc, the album begins as the listener finds Redford disoriented–postmortem–and attempting to make sense of his former life. As he moves through its pivotal moments he begins to deconstruct all that has led to his (and our own) coming undun.

Undun is the story of this kid who becomes criminal, but he wasn’t born criminal. He’s not the nouveau exotic primitive bug-eyed gunrunner like Tupac’s character Bishop in “Juice”… he’s actually thoughtful and is neither victim nor hero. Just some kid who begins to order his world in a way that makes the most sense to him at a given moment… At the end of the day… isn’t that what we all do?”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...