Arshavin

TF S4DK

ANDREY ARSHAVIN has launched a stinging attack on Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.

The Russian forward accused Wenger of being unwilling to take advice from anyone else at the club.

Arshavin, the Gunners' record £15million buy, said: "When you have a mundane, domestic problem, he's always very supportive.

"But when it comes to Arsenal, no one would dare approach him with questions about football or suggestions to change something round.

"Everyone knows what the answer would be."

Arshavin was never afraid to voice an opinion at his former club, Zenit St Petersburg.

But he insists he would NEVER argue with Emirates chief Wenger.

He added: "We've never had the 'big talk', although I have voiced my opinion a couple of times.

"He smiled in an understanding way but he has his own ideas."

Russia captain Arshavin has been a regular on the Gunners bench, starting just TWO of their 19 games this season.

He has either been replaced or brought on in 13 matches and also been an unused substitute on three occasions.

His only full outings so far have been in the 8-2 hammering at Manchester United and Arsenal's 2-1 Carling Cup fourth-round home win over Bolton, where he scored their second-half equaliser.

And the 30-year-old has revealed his frustration at becoming a peripheral figure.

He said: "It is better to play all the time like I did at Zenit rather than sit on the bench.

"I still want to play. If you are a footballer you want to be on the pitch — whether you are 18 or 35.

"Sometimes I go out on the field and know, however well I've played, I will be replaced after 70 minutes.

"And sometimes you sit on the bench in full confidence you will be brought on in the 65th minute."

Arshavin arrived from Zenit in February 2009 and bagged all of Arsenal's goals in the thrilling 4-4 draw at Liverpool in April that year.

But he has scored just twice this season and created only one goal for the team.

Wenger has preferred England star Theo Walcott and Ivory Coast ace Gervinho on the flanks this season.

And fed-up Arshavin does not see a way of forcing his way into the middle of the park either, with Mikel Arteta, Aaron Ramsey and Alex Song occupying those slots for the Gunners.

Prior to this season, Arshavin was usually a first-choice selection.

In the 2009-10 campaign, he started 25 games and was a substitute in five other matches.

And, last term, he again started 25 games, while making 12 appearances from the bench.

Arshavin groaned: "At the moment, Wenger has more faith in Walcott and Gervinho.

"Before this season, I wasn't used as a reserve."

Arshavin's contract expires in June 2013 and he has been linked with a move back to his homeland, with Zenit and big-spending Anzhi Makhachkala keen on signing him.

But although he admits money will play a part in his decision, he insists he will NOT attempt to force a move in January.

He added: "If my situation does not change, I may look at it — but not right now. But it is clear the salary is important."

And when asked if he preferred life in Russia to what he has experienced in London, he said: "After three years, meeting with different people I came to the conclusion that it all depends on what you have here and what you have there.

"I met a man in Miami who said there is no difference where you live — it is important how much money is on your credit card.

"I think this is correct — if you have enough money, you can provide for your family anywhere in the world."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He's a sh*t c*nt, but I'll always give him this...

So Emotional and HAS to be the only reason Wenger sticks with him. Cos that woman's husband can't make her scream like Andrei did that night.

That was one incredible, emotional, highly charged evening, Emirates was rocking, need that kind of atmosphere more often.

Hard to get that atmosphere with our fans.

Sometimes I feel like we don't deserve the success we've had with fans so ungrateful like ours

Robin Van Persie doesnt want to go out into an empty stadium, even when its full, what's his motive for scoring when there is no atmosphere?

Would love us to get some proper acoustics in like those at Milwal, Stoke, Tottenham etc

Guest whowantswhat

Get this nigga in behind RVP i the champions league and we may see some of his genius. Never gonna happen though

-------------------------------Szczsney-------------------------------

--Sagna--------------Mertesacker---Koscielny----Vermaelen--

--------------------------Arteta----------Song------------------------

--Theo-----------------------------------------------------Oxlade--

----------------------------------Arshavin----------------------------

-----------------------------------RVP---------------------------------

Andrei Arshavin worthy of more than a peripheral role at Arsenal

By Tim Wigmore

Sport - Latest analysis on the Sporting world -

arshavi-300x225.jpg

Arshavin celebrates his goal against Barcelona this time last year

Four years ago, Andrei Arshavin’s effervescence made him one of the players of Euro 2008: his performance in Russia’s quarter-final win over Holland was especially exhilarating. When Arsenal signed him the following January, it was to the envy of many other clubs, especially after he scored four goals in one game at Anfield.

It hasn’t quite worked out since. Too often Arshavin has seemed disinterested, lacking fitness, morale and even ingenuity: that is why there was such opprobrium when he came on as a substitute for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain against Manchester United last month.

While it can’t be denied that Arshavin has disappointed at Arsenal, he has actually done a lot better than widely assumed, contributing 30 goals and 37 assists in 132 games for the club, most of which he has not played all of. These stats can only tell us so much but do compare extremely favourable with his rivals for positions, notably Theo Walcott and Tomas Rosicky.

In further mitigation of Arshavin’s performances, Arsene Wenger has very seldom given him the chance to play in his best position: as a playmaking number ten. Shafting Arshavin onto the wing is intrinsically limiting, just as it would have been with Dennis Bergkamp. Arshavin’s lack of defensive utility makes it understandable why he hasn’t been used centrally, but ultimately the feeling persists that Wenger has never given the Russian a chance to control games in the way he does for his country.

Now wouldn’t be the worst time to do so: Jack Wilshere remains injured; Aaron Ramsey is fatigued and may be more effective from the bench; and Rosicky creates far too little for a player used as the most attacking of three central midfielders. That Rosicky has contributed one assist and no goals this season is a damning indictment.

Using Arshavin as an attacking central midfielder would be bold and necessitate subtle changes in Arsenal’s style, with their wingers needing to do more defensive work to contribute for his lack of running ability. Yet the gains could be considerable: as the cross for Thierry Henry’s winner against Sunderland attested, the vision and precision of Arshavin’s passing are worthy of more than a peripheral role at Arsenal.

Considering the amount of goals he has either scored or created at Arsenal, the conclusion that Arshavin has received an extraordinary amount of criticism is inescapable. It is undeniable his body language invites it at times. Yes he is not adept at tracking back; yes, he often drifts out of matches. But his talent is such that he should be afforded a genuine opportunity and be deployed in his best position. He might fail, but with faith invested in him Arshavin could yet remind the world of his mesmerising showings in Euro 2008.

For all his faults, Arshavin is more likely to win games for Arsenal than other central attacking options: though he may contribute less defensively than Ramsey and Rosicky, it is a trade off worth taking. Intermittent 20-minute cameos on the left wing will not get the best out of him; regular appearances as a classical number 10 just might.

A year ago Arshavin scored his most memorable goal for the Gunners, a brilliant winner against Barcelona. With Arsenal travelling to Italy to play AC Milan this week, another glamour Champions League tie would be as good a time as any for a resurgence.

arshavin is not a winger, we need to play to his strengths

and our midfield isnt that good anymore

4-4-2 THEO IS NOT A WINGER

we saw glimpses of what can happen, when we switched to 4-4-2 against sunderland

now ac milian isnt a time for experimentation

but i agree with (right now) Rambo coming off the bench>>>> He came off the bench to score the winner at Marseille aswell

arshavin is not a winger, we need to play to his strengths

and our midfield isnt that good anymore

4-4-2 THEO IS NOT A WINGER

we saw glimpses of what can happen, when we switched to 4-4-2 against sunderland

now ac milian isnt a time for experimentation

but i agree with (right now) Rambo coming off the bench>>>> He came off the bench to score the winner at Marseille aswell

f*ck hiim, he's dead food. This argument I would have heard 2-3 seasons ago (tell a lie it wouldnt cos we had Cesc), but now - nooooooooooo way. The guys play in the hole for Russia and he's dead, position issue is just an excuse, an excuse that the Russians at first agreed with and then realised nah its just Arshavin.

Theo is a winger for us. TBH I dont think I ever wanna see Walcott upfront.

arshavin shouldnt play at all forget about in the hole or on the wing hes not good enough any more yh hes still got that little bit of quality to come off the bench like he showed against sunderland but it dont make up for all of the 10+ sh*t performances he put in before that had enough of him now da lazy c*nt.. as for him bein compared to bergkamp.. no. :/