Sky Broadband

Gordon Gekko

Anybody on this?

I've got the unlimited package at a 20mb speed (supposedly). Originally had to wait 10 days for them to figure out our best speed which, 20 days after installation, is at fucking 0.76 mbps shits worse than dialup.

Thing is I'm in the city centre and on speed test other speeds round here are at 16.

Any suggestions at what we can do to get this shit up faster? Fucking ridiculous - anyone had this problem & spoke to sky and got a better speed? What ya's say? etc etc

theres no way u should be getting 0.76 in a city center, must be something up...

when i had sky at uni we got around 9-10mb on our 16mb package.

Ricky, can you tell me how to do that please mate? Will be interesting to get a less biased POV on it to drop when I next speak with them.

/

Rang sky just now and they said they're gonna have to do the 10 day profiling again and then I should get 3.6mb and our max is 7mb. I said what's stopping us from getting that after he said we wouldn't be able to he said he "you just won't" can someone explain whether he's chatting shit or not?

its "up to" 20Mb or for Fresh "up to" 8Mb

What speed you get is determined by distance from the telephone exchange/line noise/line quality/internal wiring

Im on upto 20Mb and with a max of 7.5Mb but I only get 5 -6.5Mb.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Put ur number in that and see what it says. Its not perfect but pretty accurate.

• Upvote 1

Anybody on this?

I've got the unlimited package at a 20mb speed (supposedly). Originally had to wait 10 days for them to figure out our best speed which, 20 days after installation, is at fucking 0.76 mbps shits worse than dialup.

Thing is I'm in the city centre and on speed test other speeds round here are at 16.

Any suggestions at what we can do to get this shit up faster? Fucking ridiculous - anyone had this problem & spoke to sky and got a better speed? What ya's say? etc etc

Up your router stats and we can take it from there. My guess is that the DLM has either messed up due to a lost connection (unplugging router) or you havn't plugged your router to the master or test socket thus capping your speed. Same thing happened to me and a quick call to them made them uncap it, however if they still can't up your speed then you can cancel them if that's not the quoted speed you got at sign up.

Because traditional broadband relies on copper wires, the longer your line is from the exchange you the more noise you will have on the line (measured in db) thus having a reduced speed, so someone having a line length of 5km will only produce a 3-4 MB broadband speed, this is where fibre optic technology gains an advantage.

when I had sky was ment to get 16mb max I ever actually got was 1.5mb, fark I use to load a youtube video , do something else for 20mins then come back and watch it because by then it would have almost finished buffering

couldnt be life

switched to virgin ment to get 10mb get 9.8 upgraded to 20 abit later aswell n getting near that

in short sky broadband is all kinds of ass

That's the thing I don't want to be paying out me ass for internet cause I'm barely in the flat cause I'm working most of the time then when I'm not am about doing other things so Sky seemed cheap and easy but the fucking infuriating speeds are getting to me now.

Like Gattsu said I have to leave youtube for time to buffer - I work in advertising as well so need to keep up on ads on youtube etc when I can.

Rang Sky back up and they gave me another 10 day period and said we should be getting 7 (that lnk that was posted said we should be getting 7 too) but if we don't I'm fucking these lot off and jumping to Virgin

• 3 weeks later...