iPhone, Blackberry and Gmail users are 'screwed'

Kurtis

WikilLeaks founder Julian Assange tells smartphone and Gmail users 'you're all screwed' by intelligence contractors who sell mass surveillance devices for such technologies in the post 9/11 world. He also announced that his whistleblowing organisation was embarking on a new 'source protection platform'

video on here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/video/2011/dec/02/julian-assange-iphone-blackberry-gmail-surveillance-screwed-video

not everything will have to be some major crime thing. what he's referring to is that the technology will be used to just spy on you period.

i find alot of cookies and so called 'smart advertising' very annoying. chasing me around every site i go weeks after my purchase

youtube wants you to connect your gmail accounts, u use your email on your phone that tracks your location

bbm has been slow since the riots and im hearing its cos of new tracking shit installed on the servers...

whether thats true or not isnt the main thing its just that the govts are making moves more than ever to make as many people 'trackable' as possible.

what you lot see as 'crime' today...will be as trivial as 'speaking against the govt, organising a protest, not following a govt directive, listening to whistelblowers or attending any meetings they organise, looking for information on the internet that exposes or attempts to expose political, corporate or govt dodgyness' tomorrow etc etc.... keep thinking that its being set up to look for pablo escobars and terrorists. kmt</p>

• Upvote 1

If ur doing illegal activity using any of those then it's ur own fault if u get caught

c/s

also sign out of gmail before i go on youtube etc....

use different browsers for different things

WikiLeaks' latest batch of documents hit the web this week, providing the world with a scarily thorough breakdown of a thoroughly scary industry -- government surveillance. The organization's trove, known as the Spy Files, includes a total of 287 files on surveillance products from 160 companies, as well as secret brochures and presentations that these firms use to market their technologies to government agencies. AsArs Technica reports, many of these products are designed to get around standard privacy guards installed in consumer devices, while some even act like malware. DigiTask, for example, is a German company that produces and markets software capable of circumventing a device's SSL encryption and transmitting all instant messages, emails and recorded web activity to clients (i.e., law enforcement agencies). This "remote forensic software" also sports keystroke logging capabilities, and can capture screenshots, as well. Included among DigiTask's other products is the WifiCatcher -- a portable device capable of culling data from users linked up to a public WiFi network. US-based SS8, Italy's Hacking Team and France's Vupen produce similar Trojan-like malware capable of documenting a phone or computer's "every use, movement, and even the sights and sounds of the room it is in," according to the publication.

Speaking at City University in London yesterday, WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said his organization decided to unleash the Spy Files as "a mass attack on the mass surveillance industry," adding that the technologies described could easily transform participating governments into a "totalitarian surveillance state." The documents, released on the heels of the Wall Street Journal's corroborative "Surveillance Catalog" report, were published alongside a preface from WikiLeaks, justifying its imperative to excavate such an "unregulated" industry. "Intelligence agencies, military forces, and police authorities are able to silently, and on mass, and [sic] secretly intercept calls and take over computers without the help or knowledge of the telecommunication providers," wrote Wikileaks in its report. "In the last ten years systems for indiscriminate, mass surveillance have become the norm." The organization says this initial document dump is only the first in a larger series of related files, scheduled for future release. You can comb through them for yourself, at the source link below.

http://spyfiles.org/

It's ironic that the only true way to escape this is to be homeless and drop off the grid. By the very virtue that we use phones,internet etc and have banks accounts mean were already 'trapped'.

Don't think logging out will save you either.

good read

http://www.wired.com.../11/ff_vanish2/

Just finished reading it. Interesting the whole idea of wiping your identity out.

This story reminds me of an article I read about Shopping centres installing radio mast inside that send and receive signals to your phone like a normal mast would, tracking you were you go. This is then used to see the traffic of people coming in and out, but one could imagine its merely a sinister approach at surveillance.

It's ironic that the only true way to escape this is to be homeless and drop off the grid. By the very virtue that we use phones,internet etc and have banks accounts mean were already 'trapped'.

Don't think logging out will save you either.

good read

http://www.wired.com.../11/ff_vanish2/

Interesting the whole idea of wiping your identity out.

Interesting indeed.