General Boxing Thread

Sinister

You reckon Khan will eventually Fight Brook at Wembley? 

not realy seeing as it only holds 20,000 ish. Old Trafford would make more sense tho.

The fight may happen, but not this summer. Khan will only fight brook once he's given up hope of fighting PAC or Floyd. Or after he fights one of those two n loses. He knows brook is a 50-50 fight and if he loses to him he's unlikely to get his dream fight with one of the aforementioned.

There may also be some promotional issues because khan is an al haymon fighter. Really n truly kell needs to dump hearn and sign with an American promoter (preferably haymon) cos they have the welterweight division pretty much sewn up. Hearn will avoid fronting the money to get any of the big names over, expect him to serve kell with B-level guys like Rios.

Never underestimate the power sky sports has over your average British moron.

Firstly, what have Sky got to do with it? Sky's job is to ensure people sit firmly at home watching it on Sky, not willing them to go and buy tickets to see it live.

It wouldn't pack out Old Trafford. Neither has enough of a fanbase. The promoters have to have a double header with genuinely popular fighters.

It's not big or interesting enough for the States however, so I guess Old Trafford is still more of a real possibility than there. Certainly more of a possibility than London.

Firstly, what have Sky got to do with it? Sky's job is to ensure people sit firmly at home watching it on Sky, not willing them to go and buy tickets to see it live.

It wouldn't pack out Old Trafford. Neither has enough of a fanbase. The promoters have to have a double header with genuinely popular fighters.

It's not big or interesting enough for the States however, so I guess Old Trafford is still more of a real possibility than there. Certainly more of a possibility than London.

You don't think sky's promotion influences people to buy tickets?

That's not what I said. I'm not one of your little football idiots who will allow you to twist their words.

The actual response to your question is yes, a very small proportion I'd imagine. In absolute fact though, there's very little way to tell, unless someone has done a survey on the subsequent purchasing habits of Sky Sports viewers.

HOWEVER (AND I AM SAYING THIS LOUD AND CLEAR)

THE ACTIVE ROLE OF SKY SPORTS PROMOTIONAL PROGRAMMING, IS TO MAKE PEOPLE KEEP SUBSCRIBING TO SKY SPORTS AND INFLUENCING THEM TO BUY PPV FROM SKY. 

PEOPLE BUYING TICKETS IS MERELY AN UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCE OF SKY'S GREAT WORK. AND I WOULD ALSO IMAGINE THAT MOST PEOPLE WATCHING SKY'S BROADCASTS END UP BUYING THE PPV AS OPPOSED TO GOING TO THE FIGHT. IT'S SIMPLE MATHS.

PLEASE DO NOT TRY AND ROPE ME INTO ONE OF YOUR DUMB, WORD TWISTING DEBATES.

That's not what I said. I'm not one of your little football idiots who will allow you to twist their words.

The actual response to your question is yes, a very small proportion I'd imagine. In absolute fact though, there's very little way to tell, unless someone has done a survey on the subsequent purchasing habits of Sky Sports viewers.

HOWEVER (AND I AM SAYING THIS LOUD AND CLEAR)

THE ACTIVE ROLE OF SKY SPORTS PROMOTIONAL PROGRAMMING, IS TO MAKE PEOPLE KEEP SUBSCRIBING TO SKY SPORTS AND INFLUENCING THEM TO BUY PPV FROM SKY. 

PEOPLE BUYING TICKETS IS MERELY AN UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCE OF SKY'S GREAT WORK. AND I WOULD ALSO IMAGINE THAT MOST PEOPLE WATCHING SKY'S BROADCASTS END UP BUYING THE PPV AS OPPOSED TO GOING TO THE FIGHT. IT'S SIMPLE MATHS.

PLEASE DO NOT TRY AND ROPE ME INTO ONE OF YOUR DUMB, WORD TWISTING DEBATES.

No word twisting, I was merely seeking clarification.

It goes without saying that their primary objective is to ensure ppv buys, and that people buying tickets is an unintended coincidence. Regardless of that it still has a significant impact on gates.

You just have to compare the attendance figures of matchroom and warren shows to see this. Hearn can put on absolute dross and the show is still likely to sell out/ well, whereas warren could put on a more competitive card and have next to no one there(I've personally witnessed this firsthand on two occasions).

Its obvious why this is the case. Hearns shows are televised and promoted on the biggest sporting platform in the UK. On the other hand warren's are shown on a small subscription channel with a limited outreach to potential ticket buyers.

There are undoubtedly other factors behind matchroom's higher attendance figures, namely hearns skill as a PR man. But I would still argue SKY are the biggest factor in their success.

Anyway, back to Brook- Khan. Yes you are right that the majority of people will buy on ppv, again that goes without saying. Your typical arm chair fan is clearly not going to buy a ticket for this fight due to Sky. But people who have Sky and also regularly watch live football games, will do so in droves. Particularly those who live up north and we all know there's loads of them.

Side note: I think you're a decent bloke to talk boxing with, no need to be aggressive.

It goes without saying that their primary objective is to ensure ppv buys, and that people buying tickets is an unintended coincidence. Regardless of that it still has a significant impact on gates.

But this is just a guess, you have no evidence to prove it. You might well be correct, but with the absence of evidence it's a moot point.

And what is the ACTUAL point you're trying to prove here. Is it just to prove to me that the fight could be at Old Trafford? I already said that it *could* be, but this is NOTHING to do with Sky Sports.

The fight venue is chosen WAY in advance of SS programming being aired. Tickets usually go on sale for most major events before Sky broadcast ANY promotional material.

But this is just a guess, you have no evidence to prove it. You might well be correct, but with the absence of evidence it's a moot point.

And what is the ACTUAL point you're trying to prove here. Is it just to prove to me that the fight could be at Old Trafford? I already said that it *could* be, but this is NOTHING to do with Sky Sports.

The fight venue is chosen WAY in advance of SS programming being aired. Tickets usually go on sale for most major events before Sky broadcast ANY promotional material.

Its an educated guess. I could find evidence to at the very least support my claim, but angtfd.

You said the fight couldn't sell out old Trafford. I'm saying it could and I believe sky sports promotion would play a significant role in this.

They and matchroom are already hyping a potential fight between the two of them before any venue or fight has been agreed.

Its an educated guess. I could find evidence to at the very least support my claim, but angtfd.

You said the fight couldn't sell out old Trafford. I'm saying it could and I believe sky sports promotion would play a significant role in this.

They and matchroom are already hyping a potential fight between the two of them before any venue or fight has been agreed.

1) Please find the evidence, I'm itching to see it.

2) I don't think the fight could sell out Trafford at capacity. If they reduce the capacity then a slight chance. Even then I doubt it though. 

3) CSB

1) Please find the evidence, I'm itching to see it.

2) I don't think the fight could sell out Trafford at capacity. If they reduce the capacity then a slight chance. Even then I doubt it though. 

3) CSB

1) Agtfd

2) We'll see.

3) Drop the c*nt act Jim Lad.

Would make more sense at hillsbro or ehatever boltons stadium is called and running with the battle of the roses angle

I agree about not filling out old trafford

whats OT without the top tiers, 30-45k?

easily doable imo.

Watch Ruslan Provodnikov vs Lucas Matthysse Live Stream Online here. BoxNation will air the much anticipated toe-to-toe war between two of the biggest bangers in boxing, live and exclusive, when Lucas Matthysse and Ruslan Provodnikov headline a stunning triple-fight card on April 18th.