British Boxing

Sinister

Is it a hype?

Beginning of the year and expected alot and so far no one has managed to deliver:

- Haye

- Khan

- Froch

- M. Hatton

- Murray

- Macklin

Arguably some of these fights were robberies, but is it a mental thing?

Do we hype them up to be someone 'great' (the word is used too much in boxing) and no end delivery?

I wouldn't say so tbh, aside from Khan (who yesterday looked like a man who had walked in on his wife being battried), all of the fighters were havy underdogs and for good reason, the best British prospect Is Brook, who has yet to truly step up to world level.

Haye was never going to beat Wlad, M. Hatton is a step above a journeyman-level fighter and was never going to beat Canelo, and likewise with Froch/Ward.

Macklin however, did beat the protected German hometown fighter Sturm, arguably so did Martin Murray.

Khan has had two pretty good years, fight of the year win over Maidana in 2010, stopped & outboxed the slick Malignaggi, and crushed (an albeit faded) Judah, and probably outside of DC, could have beaten Peterson.

I wouldn't say so really

Haye - built his own shot through self-promotion and the winning of an alphabet title, and aside from the brothers, is the best HW on the planet imo

Macklin - Took his shot when he faced Sturm, and in a LOT of people's eyes, he won

Froch - Fought his way to the final of the tournament fair & square, had to actually face better opposition than Ward in the run-in, got there all off his own back, has always been a background/unknown fighter though, was/will never be a star imo

Khan - Being groomed as Goldenboys new star, was never fed to anyone too dangerous, had a selection of opponents with beatable flaws, in the end Peterson was a slip up and Khans deficiencies (and roach's coaching deficiencies) were exposed, but I wouldn't think it was a case that he was fed to someone too good too soon

Hatton - Meh, guy is an average fighter really, good commonwealth level fighter but was never going to be too much more

Haye - he has done well don't get me wrong, I just dont believe being 3rd best at anything makes you 'good enough'

Macklin - only mentioned him as he did lose on paper, but thought he should've won

Froch - still think he has it in him, but has something mentally holding him back

Khan - has always been labelled something for the future the moment he got that Olympic medal - failed to live up to the hype

Hatton - only mentioned as he was another british fighter who lost

I know there's others who I can't be bothered to list, and I'm not here to have a go. Just think there has to be something which makes us unable to go abroad and at least put up a challenge.

• 1 year later...

Kell won't go that far imo, he's being moved along very slowly too

Frampton is the best british fighter right now, unfortunately he shares a division with Rigo though, who will absolutely dice him and anybody else he faces up

There's a lot of very good domestic level events and fights happening at the moment

I think Khan is going into full gym mode and will probably face Mayweather next year