ULTIMATE NIGGABITCH = RIHANNA

Goddaz

Type in Sinterklaas, in Google pictures.

/

Vancouver, Canada has rejected the Dutch celebration of Sinterklaas because they feel that Black Peter who works with Sinterklaas is the symbol of a racist tradition (see two previous blogs). Santa Claus, who is doing his work without Black Peter is widely accepted, not only in Canada but also in the USA and many countries all over the world. With my background, an orthodox protestant community, this has always surprised me.

I remember during my childhood, there were many discussions about Sinterklaas because Sinterklaas – there can be no doubt – is a Roman-Catholic saint and the community I lived in was against Catholicism. Some families were not too much into principles and celebrated Sinterklaas on the 5th of December with presents surrounded with all the Sinterklaas rituals. Other families were strongly into principles so they fought against any use of Sinterklaas images or rituals. However for the children, they would allow presents given at 5th of December but without any reference to the Catholic saint; 5th of December became a ‘neutral’ present party.

In the 18th century, Dutch immigrants brought Sinterklaas to New Amsterdam (later New York) and Sinterklaas transformed into Santa Claus, a succesfull transformation that travelled around the world. It is very funny to know that Santa Claus was deliberately connected to Christmas instead of to the 5th of December to make folks forget that he was a Roman Catholic saint; as a person who was giving presents on December 24th or 25th, he could be seen as more ‘neutral’. This was convincing in countries like the USA and the UK, merely protestant countries where Santa Claus has been popular ever since, but untill 5 years ago unsuccesfull in the Netherlands. Times are achanging, but I remember very well how my community reacted furiously against Santa Claus.

In the orthodox protestant point of view, Santa Claus is bringing down the holiness of the message of Christmas, making the story of the birth of Christ disappear in the light of presents, consumentism, greed. The horror of the values of Santa Claus was so big that not just his presents but even his image was banned from any event or information in my childhood. We didn’t miss him by the way because we were celebrating the 5th of December with presents anyway, with or without Sinterklaas, thus separating the Christian Christmas message from desire and other earthly matters and feelings.

Every community, every (sub)culture have their own role models and rituals and their own ‘horrors’ that they reject. My question is, how much do we know about each other? My experience is that when I start to talk about the community that shaped my childhood, even Dutch people hardly understand anything about it. The first step to take is to talk to each other, explain our values and how we live, explain our perspectives and the emotions that come with it. The second step might be to develop a mind of openness for change and diverse thinking and behaviour. Both steps prove to be difficult – not theoretically, but just look around and see – but they are certainly not impossible.

http://grethevangeffen.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/santa-claus-not-germanic-not-racist-so-what-about-him/

Erm..

It was called 'Darky Day' before... :lol: wtf

but

Controversy over Mummer's Day

While the original celebration had no connection with slaves, coal boats or black people some people have wrongly speculated that the event originated from freedoms being given to the occupants of passing slave ships which stopped in the port to allow slaves a bit of free time and space in the town. Padstow was known as the "free space." This is what is now celebrated with music and songs for all to enjoy. Once an unknown local charity event, the day has recently become controversial, perhaps since a description was published.[2] Also some now suggest it is racist for white people to "black up" for any reason.[3] Although some "outsiders" have linked the day with racism, Padstonians insist that this is not the case and deny both description and allegations.

Long before the controversy Charlie Bate, noted Padstow folk advocate, recounted that in the 1970s the content and conduct of the day were carefully reviewed to avoid potential offence.[4] The Devon and Cornwall Constabulary have taken video evidence twice and concluded there were no grounds for prosecution.[5] Nonetheless protests resurface annually. The day has now been renamed Mummer's day in an attempt to avoid offence and identify it more clearly with established British tradition.[6] The debate has now been subject to academic scrutiny.[7] It is hoped that some of the more untraditional 'Minstrel songs that were incorporated in favour of traditional Cornish songs will soon be discontinued.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummer's_Day

its called zwarte piete

Origin and evolution

The first origin of Zwarte Piet can probably found by the god Wodan (often written as Odin). Riding the white horse Sleipnir he flew through the air and was the leader of the Wild Hunt. He was always accompanied by two black ravens, Huginn and Muninn. Those helpers would listen, just like Zwarte Piet, at the chimney - which was just a hole in the roof at that time - to tell Wodan about the good and bad behaviours of the mortals.[2][3][4] During the Christianization, Pope Gregory I argued that conversions were easier if people were allowed to retain the outward forms of their traditions, while claiming that the traditions were in honour of the Christian God. Saint Nicolas tradition is one of them, converting Wodan to a Christian counterpart.[5]

According to myths dating to the beginning of the 19th century, Saint Nicholas (Sinterklaas) operated by himself or in the companionship of a devil. Having triumphed over evil, it was said that on Saint Nicholas Eve, the devil was shackled and made his slave. A devil as a helper of the Saint can also still be found in Austrian Saint Nicholas tradition in the character of Krampus.

Some sources indicate that in Germanic Europe, Zwarte Piet originally was such a mastered devil forced to assist his captor, but the character emerged in the 19th century within the Netherlands as a companion of Saint Nicholas resembling a Moor.[6] Saint Nicholas is said to come from Turkey. The relation of Zwarte Piet with Haji Firuz is incredibly close, Haji Firuz is a traditional herald of Nowruz, the Persian New Year celebration, exactly black in the face and comes with Amoo Nowruz a white bearded old man who brings gifts for the children counter part of Western Santa.

The introduction of this new Zwarte Piet was paired with a change in the attitude of the Sinterklaas character that was often shown as being quite rough against bad children himself and thought unbefitting of a Bishop by teachers and priests. Soon after the introduction of Zwarte Piet as Sinterklaas' helper, both characters adapted to a softer character.[7]

Still, the lyrics of older traditional Sinterklaas songs warn that while Sinterklaas and his Zwarte Pieten will leave well-behaved children presents, they will punish those who have been very naughty. For example they will take bad children and carry these children off in a burlap sack to their homeland of Spain, where, according to legend, Sinterklaas and his Zwarte Pieten dwell out of season. These songs and stories also warned that a child who has been only slightly naughty will not get a present, but a "roe", which is a bundle of birch twigs, (as a warning they could have gotten a birching instead) or will simply receive a lump of coal instead of gifts.

Until the second half of the 20th century, Saint Nicholas' helper was not too bright, in line with the old colonial traditions. Once immigration started from the former colonised countries Zwarte Piet became a much more respected assistant of Saint Nicholas, who is often a bit inattentive, but playfull.[8]

According to the more modern Saint Nicholas legend, a Zwarte Piet is a servant who accompanies Saint Nicholas on his holiday travels. In some versions, Saint Nicholas is said to have liberated a young slave named Peter, who decided to serve Nicholas. Zwarte Piet is today commonly depicted as a black person in the colorful pantaloons, feathered cap and ruffles of a Renaissance European page, a tradition that started based on a single illustration in a book published in 1850.

Zwarte Pieten are often portrayed as mischievous but rarely mean-spirited characters. The character is believed to have been derived from pagan traditions of evil spirits. Also told for decades is a story that the Zwarte Pieten are black because of chimney soot and/or in mockery of the darker Spanish occupiers of the Low Countries in centuries past.

wow