Suarez found guilty of racially abusing evra

Guest petercrotch

The thing that annoys me most is that with how long this has been hanging over Suarez, its clearly affected his performances, so to then drop an 8 match ban on him is a full pisstake cos we havent had the real Suarez for some time, now we have even longer to get the best of him.

The only plus side is when he returns he will be soooo hungry

Thread is jokes. Every pool fan is backing a man just charged with racial abuse. I know they say love is blind but fucking hell.

In the same breath I don't think this incident alone proves he is a racist but imo he does deserve the ban for calling evra what he did

I'm having the same argument on fb with Man Utd fans who flat out refuse to read or even try understand what was said.

He almost definitely said negrito, it isn't a term strictly reserved for black people. Don't believe me or him then check the link I've posted about 10 times of Hernandez using it on the official Chivas site and then google the name of the player he was talking about to see if he is black.

The FA and media can fuck off because even though they acknowledge there is more than reasonable doubt they are happy to ignore it for their own agendas. Like TF said the police are more than likely to say they can't prosecute Terry for lack of evidence and then when the FA are asked about it they say 'the police didn't find anything, how can we investigate better than them?'

So we have a player who used a term that isn't offensive in his culture and who was heard by nobody other than Evra with no previous banned for 8 games and forever labeled a racist.

Then we have a player caught on camera, reported by players on the pitch, reported by fans in the crowd and who has previous probably walking away with no charge.

The FA look more assertive than FIFA at addressing racism in the game, the England captain isn't disgraced and that nasty little foreign c*nt is thrown to the wolves. Perfect.

• Upvote 1

Very good article this;

Liverpool adding to tribal idiocy

Early Doors had its Christmas party last night. It was suggested that, in order to avoid a hungover scribble, it just publish a one word edition today: 'Suarez!'

The argument being that anything more is superfluous. Let's just reflect on the magnitude of the story, the repercussions and the reaction. Wow. Amazing.

Sadly, ED's Grinch-like boss did not sign off the one-word blog. Can't imagine why not.

So here is ED's two cents.

You would hope that in a case of this seriousness, football would not simply split down club lines.

You would hope that observers would put their allegiances to one side and take an objective look at a case that goes beyond sport.

You would hope, but you would obviously end up crushingly disappointed.

The news story on this site has over 1,000 comments; nearly all of them partisan, plenty of them offensive, too many of them referring disgracefully to those two bywords for tragedy: Hillsborough and Munich.

Frankly, it's a complete, sorry mess.

Sometimes you feel things are too important to let football fans anywhere near them, and this case has seen them at their most idiotically tribal.

With that in mind, it is thoroughly depressing to see Liverpool FC get in on the act with its incredible reaction to the news Luis Suarez has been banned for eight matches after being found guilty (pending appeal - ED is going to be using those words a lot this morning) of racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra.

Liverpool's statement last night was truly extraordinary in both its tone and content, taking furious shots at Evra and the FA.

Their man has been found guilty of a very serious offence, so they might just want to wind their necks in a little bit.

Support Suarez, by all means. Appeal, as you have a right to do. But show some restraint and some dignity. Act in a manner befitting a club of Liverpool's stature.

As the statement itself pointed out, Liverpool have done more than their share to combat injustice and discrimination.

That is why it is so uncomfortable to see them in such a frenzy, and to see Kenny Dalglish use the phrase forever associated with the club in his message of support: 'Let's not let him walk alone.'

Liverpool should think very carefully before attempting to turn Suarez into a great, modern-day martyr.

They might want to say: "Much as we love Luis, and much as he's our best player, and much as his offence came against our most hated rivals, the FA thinks he has committed a very serious breach of discipline and we should probably reflect that."

There is so much in Liverpool's statement that can be picked apart, but ED will focus on just a few bits:

"It is also our opinion that the accusation by this particular player was not credible - certainly no more credible than his prior unfounded accusations."

This is a disgrace. The mention of "prior unfounded accusations" refers to two other cases in which claims of racial abuse against Evra have been made.

To paraphrase - Evra plays the race card.

The thing is, on neither occasion did Evra make the accusation. In 2006, a deaf fan claimed to lip-read abuse of Evra by Steve Finnan, and in 2008 United coaches Mike Phelan and Richard Hartis said they heard a Chelsea groundsman insult Evra.

Neither claim was proven. And neither claim was made by Evra. This point is outlined in this excellent blog post (yes, it's a United blog, but it makes a very good point).

For Liverpool to themselves make a false claim about Evra is lamentable.

"It is key to note that Patrice Evra himself in his written statement in this case said 'I don't think that Luis Suarez is racist'. The FA in their opening remarks accepted that Luis Suarez was not racist."

It is not key. It is irrelevant.

Being a racist and committing a racist act are not the same thing.

When Ron Atkinson made his disgusting remarks about Marcel Desailly, a large number of his former players came out and said Atkinson was not a racist.

Did any of these people say that he should not be punished for his disgusting remarks? Of course not.

Nobody said: "It is accepted that Ron is not a racist, therefore he cannot be guilty."

People are nuanced, inconsistent, unpredictable. It is perfectly possible to commit an isolated racist act in an otherwise tolerant life.

"Luis himself is of a mixed race family background as his grandfather was black."

Really? 'Some of my best grandparents are black?'

"It appears to us that the FA were determined to bring charges against Luis Suarez, even before interviewing him at the beginning of November. "

"We would also like to know when the FA intend to charge Patrice Evra with making abusive remarks to an opponent after he admitted himself in his evidence to insulting Luis Suarez in Spanish in the most objectionable of terms. "

Utterly depressing remarks, that make the case about Liverpool versus Manchester United (and the FA), when it should be a serious examination of what one man said to another man.

"Luis, to his credit, actually told the FA he had not heard the insult."

To his credit? Maybe he genuinely didn't hear the insult. And Liverpool's wording suggests that he did hear the insult, but decided to say otherwise. If that were indeed the case, then ED is not sure how lying to an FA enquiry is to anybody's credit.

- - -

This is a difficult, unprecedented case that needs to be looked at carefully and sensitively.

The argument centred less around what Suarez said as what he meant, and that is a thorny issue of deep cultural nuances.

It would seem the FA have decided that, though 'Negrito' might be a term of utmost endearment in Uruguay, they cannot allow any language with racial connotations.

ED sees their point, though it can also accept the argument that the punishment is heavy-handed.

Maybe the FA's process was flawed, though it is hard to see anything for all the mud-slinging.

Frankly, ED doesn't know exactly what happened in that goalmouth, and it doesn't know what the appropriate sanction should be for a player found guilty.

Looking at the reaction of Liverpool, the media and the fans, ED is virtually alone in this uncertainty.

But that's football, where everybody knows everything all the time, even when they actually know nothing.

Article is shit.

Liverpool FC were at the hearing and were privy to all the information used to find him guilty and still made a very strongly worded statement that basically called the investigation a joke. So it isn't a case of people talking about stuff they don't know.

Next.

Guest petercrotch

Thread is jokes. Every pool fan is backing a man just charged with racial abuse. I know they say love is blind but fucking hell.

In the same breath I don't think this incident alone proves he is a racist but imo he does deserve the ban for calling evra what he did

I'm having the same argument on fb with Man Utd fans who flat out refuse to read or even try understand what was said.

He almost definitely said negrito, it isn't a term strictly reserved for black people. Don't believe me or him then check the link I've posted about 10 times of Hernandez using it on the official Chivas site and then google the name of the player he was talking about to see if he is black.

The FA and media can fuck off because even though they acknowledge there is more than reasonable doubt they are happy to ignore it for their own agendas. Like TF said the police are more than likely to say they can't prosecute Terry for lack of evidence and then when the FA are asked about it they say 'the police didn't find anything, how can we investigate better than them?'

So we have a player who used a term that isn't offensive in his culture and who was heard by nobody other than Evra with no previous banned for 8 games and forever labeled a racist.

Then we have a player caught on camera, reported by players on the pitch, reported by fans in the crowd and who has previous probably walking away with no charge.

The FA look more assertive than FIFA at addressing racism in the game, the England captain isn't disgraced and that nasty little foreign c*nt is thrown to the wolves. Perfect.

saying negrito 8 times in a confrontational context IS RACIST . you are going on like he said hey my negrito omigo . stop tapdancing like a bloody monkey and kissing the white mans ass

• Upvote 1

Just for shits and giggles...

If someone called you negrito on the street (with you knowing full well they were a foreigner) would you still excuse because of 'cultural differences' ?

P.S. Can I just add that this is assuming you didn't know what the term 'negrito' meant prior

• Upvote 1

Petercrotch step of your black high horse that's standing on your jet black soapbox for one minute and try to understand the context or stfu, mug.

/

Is that what happened Tronics or is that a completely different context? Evra initiated the convo in Spanish so what was he expecting, Suarez to respond with 'no trouble la just get on with the game'?

saying negrito 8 times in a confrontational context IS RACIST . you are going on like he said hey my negrito omigo . stop tapdancing like a bloody monkey and kissing the white mans ass

fuck outta the sports room you prick

aint you got some uncle toms and demons to be crying over in whatever.

My bad, so the exchange is in Spanish, some offensive language is used on both sides

Does that still give Suarez the right to use a racial slur against Evra? Can you or us as football fans really excuse that?

And if we're talking about context they're obviously having a heated exchange so why would the term 'negrito' used in that context not have a negative connatation? Regardless of how it's normally used?

George Best said what?

Another thing did Schmeichel really racially abuse Wright?

Because true say years later they were behaving like best friends.

this is why i've always doubted these claims,

the George Best thing is neither here nore there, as he's from a different age, and i doubt that even had that interview not taken place that any United fan would be standing up talking about what a top bloke he was,

this is the thing, this incident doesn't prove he's racist, but lol at thinking you can say he's not racist, none of us know where he lies on the matter.

If someone called you negrito on the street (with you knowing full well they were a foreigner) would you still excuse because of 'cultural differences' ?

P.S. Can I just add that this is assuming you didn't know what the term 'negrito' meant prior

another good comment,

earlier in the thread, someone called Evra thick for not knowing the term and the background and meaning of it, was that person being serious.

i fully believe the FA banned Suarez, not for being Racist, but for using the term and after living in Europe for 4 years not knowing better, because how long before a white guy from Peckham playing Premier league football, who grew up surrounded by black people with a few black relatives and what not, uses the term Nigger in a confrontation, (something he has been doing all his life in his own circles of black friends and relatives) gets reported but says, look im not racist its just something i say,

does he get off for obviously not being a racist, or does he get a fine an ban for not having the sense not to use the term.

From when Suarez admitted to using the term, and didnt come out with a carefully written statement apologising for any offencew that may have been caused but explaining what the term means to him, it was always a case of how long,

Mr Dalgliesh hasn't helped his man at all either tbh,

Tis is similar to The Ferdinand drug test thing, because even though he took one a few hours after the initial test was meant to be done, the "crime" had already been commited

the statement from Liverpool probably should've been more thought out and carefully written, but i guess they wanted to react quickly,

You're not even debating the football or the issues around it, you like many others are more fuelled by the fact its a LFC/MUFC rivalry

Otherwise if it was the racism you're bothered about you'd be questioning the FA's stance, if it was about the trial you'd be thinking how judgement was made. You'd be reading the FA's statement and wondering if they've just set a precedent for players to be banned for insulting each other or if one players word against another's is enough to begin a 3 month case.

And most importantly, why if he is guilty and they are so serious about racism in football they have not given him a more serious punishment? (And wondering if it will last as long as their bollocks 'respect campaign')

But you're not, at least you have displayed little evidence of this in this thread, you've just talked bollocks because of rivalry.

So stop talking shit and pretending that it's anything more than that.

• Upvote 1

this is the thing, this incident doesn't prove he's racist, but lol at thinking you can say he's not racist, none of us know where he lies on the matter.

another good comment,

earlier in the thread, someone called Evra thick for not knowing the term and the background and meaning of it, was that person being serious.

Nah you tried it, thick for initiating a conversation in a language than isn't your own and then thinking you know what someone is saying back to you.

Afterwards he could have asked someone of Latin American origin what it means and acted accordingly, he wouldn't have even needed to leave the changing rooms to do so.

Why would he need to ask, when Hernandez uses it on the regular?

/

That's the most boring thing about this whole episode, people pretending they care about racism.

And next week they will be calling opposition players 'niggers' 'frogs' 'diving spanish cunts' etc and so on.

• Upvote 1

this is arguement you two are having is null and void tbh,

coz i like many others on here (probably) reckon, had Evra been playing for Liverpool and Suarez for United, that you two would merely just have swapped posts.

the root of each of your stances comes from the team your alligned to,

one supports United so will clutch at the evidence that see's Suarez at fault,

the Other is a liverpool fan that believes his team has been wronged.

you two should probably just choose to ignore each others posts and just respond to the other issues of the case being brought forward by other people. this topics quickly becoming a bit of a farce due to this stupid bickering and the sly personal digs being thrown in here and there.

So basically he was calling him this word which can be used to black people in Uruguay and is not considered racist.

Has suarez admitting calling him that?

The thing is, Evra said he kept saying to him so Suarez knew what he was doing. Whether it was racism or more of him being a c*nt? it's down to culture i suppose. However, this ain't uruguay and was saying a word that is offensive in Europe.

What are you guys angry about? besides the fact of the ban etc (Serious question)

That he never said what Evra told the FA?

That he isn't a racist?

i haven't read much but people ain't arguing that he never said anything to Evra but more that he isn't racist?