FreeMason

Theres a 3tb seagate on dabs for 120ish?

That too expensive?

need to cop a next 2tb

the pain i would feel if my 1tb died and i lost all my tunes 

this was the motivating fear

remember when i lost my mixtape i.e. all my bars, stopped spitting immediately 

if i lost all my house music id have to catch a charge

Looking at NAS storage in the near future

had a NAS for like a year now, one of the best investment's i've made.

I second this!!  :Y:

Copped my Synology 2 bay nas just over a year ago....shits never been so easy.

At first I just had the one 3TB drive in there, n you could say it was just used to back up shit that was on the PC HD...but as time went on n I was "acquiring" more shit started looking out for the 2nd drive at a reasonable price n mirrored that shit. 

Its just nice being able to download stuff overnight etc etc without the PC having to be on, n the apps for the phone/tablet that Synology do are caaaaaallllm too. 

Thats not to say there are not other brands out there, but this was recommended to me by some dudes at wk...one of them was asian, so i dont need to say more tbh (although it would have been better if a jewish person recommended  guess)  :/

can externals be restored like

copied wats on this lappy to the 1tb now im tryna do d same for my old external

some files are refusing to copy n its not even the tip of the iceberg, my old hdd has everything from classic grime to husker du and scott walker

rele not looking to lose all that

Looking at NAS storage in the near future

had a NAS for like a year now, one of the best investment's i've made.

I second this!!  :Y:

Copped my Synology 2 bay nas just over a year ago....shits never been so easy.

At first I just had the one 3TB drive in there, n you could say it was just used to back up sh*t that was on the PC HD...but as time went on n I was "acquiring" more sh*t started looking out for the 2nd drive at a reasonable price n mirrored that sh*t. 

Its just nice being able to download stuff overnight etc etc without the PC having to be on, n the apps for the phone/tablet that Synology do are caaaaaallllm too. 

Thats not to say there are not other brands out there, but this was recommended to me by some dudes at wk...one of them was asian, so i dont need to say more tbh (although it would have been better if a jewish person recommended  guess)  :/

what one would you recommend?

what you looking to do with it?? @ Tee

I've got the DS213+

I have my music/videos on there, which I can listen to on-the-go with the app on my phone. I also stream my movies/tv shows to my smart wifi surround unit to watch shit on tv, so if you have any sort of DNLA equipment, it will interface with that with no qualms.  I can transfer files to/from it via phone app, or logging onto it externally any net connection. You can set up torrent/nzb/rss/etc things to download direct to it....err thats the stuff I mainly do, bar the file transfering via websites...but the full spec is here http://www.synology.com/en-us/products/overview/DS213+

They have others, so I guess it depends on what you need from it n how many bays. 

ALTHOUGH apparently synology devices are not compatible with xmbc which some other nas's are straight out the box, so I guess it comes down to what I said above...whats your neeeeeeds?!

i need something to back up my mac and macbook / store my media so i can access them from all machines.

how much is the one u got?

i need something to back up my mac and macbook / store my media so i can access them from all machines.

how much is the one u got?

The one I have was £280 when I brought it, but that was about a year ago now, so it should be cheaper, if they still do it. One of my colleagues who has one (diff model though but still synology) do all their time capsule backups to the device (means nothing to me, im not a fruit device owner) and they say its pretty seamless *shrugs*

Nem, explain this NAS to me please.

So it's a HDD that you can connect to wirelessly, is it password encrypted?

Don't want my mum having access to my home made videos.

Also, the ones I've seen don't have space specified, do you have to buy space?

NAS devices are just network connected external hard drives. Instead of you connecting shit up by your USB lead to the PC, you connect it to your router/internet/network connection. There are some wireless ones out there, but more time they connect via an ethernet cable to your modem/router. Im not sure about other manufacturers but with mine, I have created different accounts on it, that have access to different folders/applications on the device. Im sure with other brands, there are security access controls you can put on, otherwise every Tom, d*ck n Harry would be able to access it.

The Hard Drives more time have to be brought separately unless you are getting a bundle. Although there are some 1 bay/drive devices out there that have network connectivity as well as USB, so thats a cheaper route to go down. Mine didnt come with HDs thus why I just started out with the 1 to see how I ended up using it. Both the HDs I do have in there now though, I broke out of External hard drive products. For some reason, its cheaper to buy them like that, than to buy actual internal HDs...makes no sense

basically to have all my music & movies like a media drive type thing

prob more for movies & tv stuff tho to stream

downloading to it is what caught my eye

yeaaaaa...the downloading ting is live still. When I was at my peak, I was scheduling my unit to only download at certain times of the day/night due to Virgin Medias silly "traffic management" bullshit, so I was just setting up the torrents, then going about my business n waking up to whatever I needed. 

I have this (http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/home-entertainment/archive-home-entertainment-system/HT-E5550/XU) on my network, n it just makes it sooooo easy to stream stuff to my tv (if I had a smart tv I could have done it direct, but im not looking to upgrade that for now). No more having to copy stuff to USB to plug it into my tv, its just a library of multimedia at my fingertips. 

For those on iphones/ipads/android search the store for synology, you will see the amount of apps they have available to do shit. THAT I believe is the difference between them n other brands, cos although their are pricier, they are also going the extra mile for development n ease of use.

I dare one of you cunts "cool story" me  :keeporder: 

• Upvote 1

In theory you have as much chance as you would a internal drive as they are the same...just depends on the level of how fucked things are as to how evasive a recovery is needed...but I guess try the above. I dont personally know any recovery tools...wouldn't mind one myself for an old drive

• 5 weeks later...

Just a quick one, not on the topic of ExHD, has anyone got any good recommendations on SSDs for a Mac.

I was looking at getting the following; OCZ Agility 3 Series 480 GB Internal SSD Serial ATA-600 2.5" looks to have had good feedback. Pice wise could be looking at the £200 mark.