★★★ Carl Froch vs Lucian Bute ★★★

Fighting Weight

Date TBC. Eddie Hearn has negotiated a two-fight deal, one in Nottingham, and one in Quebec. For Froch sake hopefully the first fight will be a home one. Opinions on Bute are somewhat divided, he has largely dominated his opposition (apart from an arguable loss against Andrade, where he was knocked down and given a very slow count to get up), but has practically never fought out of his hometown(s) of Quebec, except for one fight in Bucharest, Romania, which is his literal hometown, despite this, and despite Carl Froch having perhaps the toughest SMW run in history, facing Andre Dirrell, Mikkel Kessler, Authur Abraham, Glen Johnson and finally Andre Ward, Bute has really only fought two top 10 ranked contender, Glen Johnson, while having 30 fights, the IBF 'belt' and being ranked the number 1 SMW in the world (with Ward being the champion).

It should be an interesting matchup, Bute can be easy to hit (as we know so is Froch), but Bute is a murderous bodypuncher, something Froch hasn't dealt with to the degree he will have to yet.

Here's to two good fights, it's good to see a division in which the top contenders are actually facing eachother.

I'm not sure Carl will have enough to take it over two fights, Bute is undoubtable more skilled, but he hasn't beat the same level of competition as Froch, I can see hometown decisions for both fighters and a need for a third fight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Our Carl>>>>>>_________

Froch - I'm still in my prime

Carl Froch insists he will go into his showdown with Lucian Bute in the prime of his career, despite the fact he is approaching his 35th birthday.

The Nottingham fighter will be hoping to bounce back from his defeat to Andre Wardspacer.gif in the Super Six final when he takes on the unbeaten Romanian on May 26 in a bout that will be screened live on Sky Sports HD.

Frochspacer.gif has now been defeated twice in the past two years - losing out to both Mikkel Kessler and Ward in unanimous decisions.

But the former WBC super-middleweight world champion, who will be challenging for Bute'sspacer.gif IBF title in May, has brushed off suggestions that he is past his best.

"It is a massive fight for me. I'm 35 in July, but I don't think age has much of a bearing if you look after yourself between fights which I do," Froch told Sky Sports.

He added of his training: "You have to concentrate and the recovery takes a bit longer so it probably feels harder, but you're probably doing the same work but it feels a bit harder, so mentally you have to dig in a bit more.

"But physically you can keep going into your late 30s, even your 40s if you keep yourself well. Bernie Hopkins is 47, he's almost a freak of nature to be 47 and still fighting.

"I really don't think I will be fighting then.

"But at 34 I feel very much in my prime, a lot of it has to do with how you treat yourself, whether you smoke or drink and the food you eat, but I do everything right."

Froch admits that he was beaten in convincing style against Ward and says it was not an option to bow out of the sport after such a disappointing display.

He said: "It was a very tricky, horrible fight. It's not a point to prove, but for myself I wouldn't want to finish my career on a fight like that.

"It was so awkward and messy. Don't get me wrong, Andre is a great fighter and he beat me fair and square, he was very good on the night.

"But his trickery and his defensive skills mean he's awkward and very hard to hit, which means he's good because he's hard to hit but it doesn't make for an entertaining fight.

"When I fight I'm in there to entertain, I'm looking for the finish, looking for the knockout. I'm not ducking and holding, I'm looking at putting on a real good show.

"And I think against Lucian Bute, he boxes and moves, he can punch a bit, I think this fight against Bute has the makings of a real, real showdown. Probably one of my best fights."

• 4 weeks later...