Primary School Teacher -"getting pissed, dancing and pulling a big black man""

JOHN DOE

Teacher disciplined over Facebook profile

teacher_2131508b.jpg

A divorced primary school teacher boasted about "getting pissed, dancing and pulling a big black man" on her Facebook profile, a hearing was told.

Elizabeth Scarlett, 50, shocked parents and pupils at a village school with by detailing her "drinking, swearing and ***gging" on the social networking site, it is alleged.

Mrs Scarlett was criticised by her headteacher for "improper" comments on Facebook - where she was friends with children as young as 11.

The disciplinary hearing was told how Mrs Scarlet - who organised a school exhange trip to South Africa - was reported by colleague who saw a message about "black men".

The General Teaching Council for Wales heard a selection of the messages which appeared on Facebook during the summer of 2009.

One message read: "Getting pissed, dancing and pulling a big black man."

Another said: "Thinking of buying a rampant rabbit. The best place is lovehoney.com, they seem much cheaper on there.

And she told an ex-pupil: "You should pop up to see me or even better we can go out for a drink or clubbing,

"I'm a very different person outside school I like to party hard - life is for the living.

"I'm not a teacher on here. I'm just like anyone else, I drink, swear and sh*g but don't tell anyone."

Another one read: "Ms Scarlett's back from the pub. Had a diet coke. If you believe that you will believe anything."

Headmaster Graham Phillips said: "I was shocked by what I saw on Facebook I thought it was inappropriate and improper.

"When you become a teacher I think you agree to uphold a certain set of standards to behave in a certain way and act as a role model.

"But you grossly overstep the line when you post about drinking, swearing and details of your sex life."

Mrs Scarlet had taught at Trinant Primary School in Crumlin, South Wales, since 1993.

She claimed to have taught more than 500 students and worked in Africa during an exchange trip to Lesotho.

The hearing in Cardiff was told how Mrs Scarlet had 81 friends on Facebook including 32 former pupils, 12 of who were between 11 and 17.

Presenting officer Louise Price said: "She presented herself as a very different from the person she has to be at school.

"She talked about kissing a black man and ex-pupils responded to this. She discussed being 100 per cent naughty and liking to party hard.

"She used Facebook to freely discuss her favourite pupils, she talks about the best site to buy sex toys, her sexual preferences and talks about alcohol with an 11 year old."

Mrs Scarlet did not appear at the hearing but said in a statement that she "did not realise" her profile could be seen publicly.

She said: "I joined Facebook because my sister kept pestering me so I tried it. I found it very addictive.

"I was consoling myself after breaking up with my partner and the daily visits to Facebook were a welcome distraction.

"As far as I was concerned I had a Facebook profile which was locked to the highest possible setting. I didn't realise everyone could see my comments."

The teacher, who later left the school because of long-term illness, claimed her ex-partner posted the comments about sex toys and black men.

The panel admitted they could not be sure she had written the sexual comments but they disciplined her because of her other posts.

She was handing her an official reprimand which will stay on her records for two years - and will need to be disclosed to future employers.

Disciplinary chair Gareth Jones said: "She is guilty of being naive about how Facebook works."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/9066339/Teacher-disciplined-over-Facebook-profile.html

just clocked the underlying privacy concerns over facebook.