Red Tails- Why no black Women

Guest petercrotch

Guest petercrotch

http://blacknotwhitedippedinchocolate.wordpress.com/2012/01/17/george-lucass-red-tails-should-i-be-excited/

From the writer of this piece - "to omit Black women from this narrative and not portray the story accurately by including Black women as supportive wives, lover, sisters, mothers (to me) is a slap in the face, especially to women like my Grandmother and Great Aunts who cared for Black men when no one else would. It erases our image from history and puts a White Woman as the love interest........ It seems like whenever we have a positive movie about Black women or Black men, they are always paired with a non-black person. What message is that sending to people? When we only have movies like The Help, For Colored Girls, Norbit and Precious where Black women and Black men are portrayed as all having dysfunctional relationships, what does that say."

"The media makes it seem as if interracial relationships are the only functional form of love for Black people…as if we can’t love each other..............I also find it interesting that people will play the “color blind love,” card ONLY when it applies to Black men or Black women. If you notice in almost every other WWII movie that’s about white people, the movie always has a WHITE leading lady as the love interest. Pearl Harbor, Saving Private Ryan, Flags of Our Fathers, they always highlighted the supportive role that white wives, mothers, sister and daughters played. But, on the one rare occasion where they show Black men in a positive and heroic light…Black women are missing as their supportive wives, lovers, mothers and sisters? If this was just truly about color blind love…why wouldn’t we see more films where the White American men had asian, latina or Black love interests."

"You cannot make a “Black Movie,” about Black people and exclude Black women…and replace Black women with white/non-Black women. Last I checked Black PEOPLE included Black men, Black women AND Black children. To add insult to injury nearly ALL of the Tuskegee airmen were married to Black women, so why Black women are missing as wives and supporters is odd at best and racist at worst. I’m tired of history being white-washed and I find this unacceptable."

Guest petercrotch

Most of the movie is set in Italy. The girl the black guy gets with is italian.

It fits the story don't see why that article is so salty.

This is the problem though . Acceptance . Thats like saying black men who live in england must date ineracially because england is a white country .

It does not fit the story

Men can date, f*ck or marry whoever they want. We all have to accept that. If black man was risking death for f*ck*ng the white meat in the slave and apartheid eras, I dunno why people get so caught up in it now tbh.

/

The reason for no black women is a commercial/financial one anyway, we know this from the issues the film had secuing finance with an all black cast.... So I ask whats more important, telling the essence of the story to masses, or losing presenting the story as the minor issues cant be ironed out?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest petercrotch

Men can date, f*ck or marry whoever they want. We all have to accept that. If black man was risking death for f*ck*ng the white meat in the slave and apartheid eras, I dunno why people get so caught up in it now tbh.

/

The reason for no black women is a commercial/financial one anyway, we know this from the issues the film had secuing finance with an all black cast.... So I ask whats more important, telling the essence of the story to masses, or losing presenting the story as the minor issues cant be ironed out?

Exactly the commercial reason is because too many people do not like to see black unity , sucessful BLACK families . They do not want to see black people standing strong together . All you have to do is look how white people ina england bad mouth mr patel

Regardless of the quality of film, the story, the acting, the director...

Truth be told some people watch films based on the cast...

All black cast or not, Cuba Gooding & Terrence Howard in 2012, isn't even Beyonce Knowles, Jamie Foxx, Eddie Murphy, Jennifer Hudson, Danny Glover is it?

• 2 weeks later...