★★★ Yuriorkis Gamboa vs Brandon Rios ★★★

Fighting Weight

Boom bam!

at 135lbs

Very excited about this, massive props to Gamboa for taking this fight, having to jump 2 weight divisions. I'm hoping a win or a very good competitive performance against Rios will propel Gamboa into stardom, he has the skills, the power, the money, and the women, the fan-friendly style, but due to his defection from Cuba and living in MIami, he is still under the radar.

It is a peculiar matchup in that Gamboa is making a large jump in weight, and Rios is struggling to make weight, in his last fight against John Murray he came in at over 140lbs, then 139, and 137, and looked absolutely awful, drained of every drop of fluid in his body, he was stripped of the belt for failing to make the weight completely and his title was vacated. However, he still did near-lethal damage to john murray.

While Gamboa is very quick and a very good attacker he is VERY open to being hit and has been down before over-extending himself, however he is incredibly accurate

Rios vs Murray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wulNuv5a0Hg

If Gamboa handles the weight well I beleive he'll win, Rios is a very VERY tough customer though, he reminds me of Margarito with better defence/ring generalship

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gamboa says he won't fight Rios unless the deal is right !!

Yuriorkis Gamboa (21-0, 16 knockouts) did not show up for a noon press conference on Monday at the Versailles Restaurant in Miami, Fla., and said that he will not be present at the Los Angeles presser at the Millenium Biltmore Hotel's Crystal Ballroom today.

"No," Gamboa said when asked if he would attend the L.A. press conference on Tuesday. "There's no contract and there is no fight."

Gamboa spoke to RingTV from Las Vegas, where he arrived on Sunday and has been training at the gym owned by WBC welterweight titleholder Floyd Mayweather, Jr. Gamboa's interview was translated by his wife, Maria Cabrera.

"Whenever everything is clear with my contract, that's when the fight will happen, but right now I'm not under the terms that I want the fight to happen," Gamboa told RingTV "I don't have a problem with HBO Boxing , and I hope that HBO doesn't have a problem with me either because everything that's happening with me, I didn't choose to be in the position I'm in right now."

"But this is the time to do this, because if I don't stand up for myself, nobody else is going to do it. I never thought that things would wind up this way, but there was never a contract and there was never a signature from Gamboa agreeing to fight with Brandon Rios on April 14."

Gamboa's lawyer, Sekou Gary, says his client is willing to work things out with his co-promoters, but he also stresses that the undefeated boxer-puncher is unsatisfied with his current situation.

"He is looking to come to a resolution with Top Rank Boxing and the co-promoter, Arena Box-Promotion, and Ahmet Oner, and he's looking to go in another direction; he's hoping to come to an amicable resolution with these guys,"

"Top Rank and Ahmet Oner are in the same position. Ahmet Oner is the promoter that he's signed to, and Ahmet Oner did the co-promotion with Top Rank, so they're both the same entity as far as we're concerned, and we're not happy with either of them."

Although officials from Top Rank Inc. or Oner's Arena Box-Promotions could not be reached concerning the status of Gamboa's contract at the time of this filing, Top Rank Inc. spokesman Lee Samuels told USA Today that Gamboa is under contract with the company for another two years.

"He can't fight for anyone else," said Samuels.

Gary would not speculate on whether or not Gamboa would contest his contractual agreement with either promoter.

"We're not going to comment directly on that, because we're in the process of working on that," Gary said. "We don't want to predict the future. We're in the process of trying to deal with the future right now and we don't want to be pigeon-holed into that position.

"Because we don't really know what's going to happen with resolving this matter. It could turn out in a couple of different ways. There are a few different scenarios and we just have to find one that he feels comfortable moving forward under. We have to be operating under terms that are satisfactory to the fighter, and that's the bottom line."

Gary also wanted to be clear that his client is not afraid of Rios or withdrawing from any legal agreement.

"We have concerns because there are people saying that Gamboa is backing out of the fight, and things of that nature, and that's not true," Gary said. "(Gamboa) has never signed on to the fight, so he never has backed out of the fight. He just wasn't going forward with a fight that they hadn't reached satisfactory terms on."

Gamboa said he skipped out on the press conference "because I never signed a contract for the fight, and since I didn't have a contract, and we're still under negotiations, then there was no reason for me to go to the press conference."

"When I told them that I was not going to show up, they told me that there was no way that they could cancel this, and that I should just show up and be there and this and that," said Gamboa.

"But I said, 'I didn't sign anything, so I'm not going.' I told Jose Perez, who works with Ahmet Oner, on Saturday, when I spoke to my lawyer, that I was not going to go to the press conference on Monday."

Gamboa was meant to show up at the presser with Rios but he didn't - instead he was apparently at the Mayweather gym

I have a feeling he met with Mayweather, May went over the contract and showed him how Arum was f*ck*ng him in the ass and stealing from him and now he wants a better deal.

Fight looks like it won't happen :(

• 4 weeks later...

Rios has weighed in overweight again (137) for his fight with Richard Abril on sunday

It will be a good one to watch, been a lot of insults flying about, both men are warriors

What was the weight limit?

135, after the first failed weigh in your have an hour to go away and make weight...he came back at 139, wtf did he do in that hour :lol:

Ah alright. Its the same in the UFC, you get an hour to go off and make weight if you're over.

He probably attempted to lose the extra pounds but dehydrated himself too much. Must have drank some fluids, which explains the extra weight. Not sure why he agreed to get weighed again seeing as he knew he didn't make it.

Rios has weighed in overweight again (137) for his fight with Richard Abril on sunday

It will be a good one to watch, been a lot of insults flying about, both men are warriors

What was the weight limit?

135, after the first failed weigh in your have an hour to go away and make weight...he came back at 139, wtf did he do in that hour :lol:

pmsl