UK Government Demands Access to all Phone and Internet User Data

Don Crack

The British government is in the process of developing a scheme whereby all phone companies and broadband internet providers will be required to store customer transaction data for a year and hand it over to security services upon request.

The databases would also include Facebook communications, Twitter posts — including direct messages between subscribers — and even communications between players in online video games.

According to the Telegraph, the Communications Capabilities Development Programme (CCDP) is already being attacked by privacy advocates as offering a license for abuse and as raising the “Big Brother” potential for universal surveillance. The British government, however, views it as a “vital” tool against terrorism and serious crime, and the legislation to put it into effect is expected to be proposed in May.

The information to be stored would not include the content of calls or emails but would consist of phone numbers and email addresses. These would would who was communicating with whom on what occasions and could also make it easy for police to track the movements of cellphone and computer users.

The plan has aroused concerns not only over civil liberties but also because hackers could potentially exploit the massive databases, which would be maintained by the companies and not by the government itself.

“This will be ripe for hacking” Gus Hosein of Privacy International stated. “Every hacker, every malicious threat, every foreign government is going to want access to this.”

“The internet companies will be told to store who you are friends with and interact with,” he added. “While this may appear innocuous it requires the active interception of every single communication you make, and this has never been done in a democratic society.”

There are also fears that service providers might use the information as a basis for directing targeted advertising to computers and mobile phones.

A similar scheme was proposed by the Labour government in 2009 but withdrawn due to public opposition. At that time, the Conservatives accused Labour of being “reckless” with regard to privacy, but now the Conservative government itself has revived the scheme, allegedly after the security services lobbied Home Secretary Theresa May.

The Open Rights Group has an anti-CCDP petition at its website, which describes the plan as “pointless,” “expensive,” and “illegal” and expresses the intention of forming a mass movement to oppose it.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/02/19/uk-government-to-demand-access-to-all-phone-and-internet-user-data/

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paraphrasing Benjamin Franklin here

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

These things always start small and then spread out silently until we're told that it's too late to do anything about it. It's like how we can't protest outside our own parliament without the permission of the police a 'nice' bit of legislation passed by our caring politicians.

Don't know why ur pulling faces this stuff is already in effect. There are ways around it if you know what u r doing. I just find it funny that they bring in all these laws like stop and search Id cards then want to take the piss out of china and Russia. The Internet needs to be controlled so hope they go hard on all you mp3 downloaders and movie and tv series sharers. Just saying

Eric I'm hard right now

• Downvote 2

Was talking to my brother about something like this shold come into law. Very good move if you have nothing to hide should not be a problem.

:-/

:/

Might be ok now agreeing to these measures but what happens when a government comes into power in the future with the intent of using these systems to crush the people

Think of the government of Germany prior to the war and then they implement these measures then hitler comes to power (obviously did not have the technology back then but you get what I mean)

The Internet needs to be controlled so hope they go hard on all you mp3 downloaders and movie and tv series sharers. Just saying

Yeah cos thats who they are going after :/

Is it I thought their time and resources would of been spent better finding people who use the net for fraud, saboteurs, hackers, people who are security risk and whistleblower's of sensitive information don't you think.

You have turnt into what rsonist use to be. Not sure if you have noticed.

• Downvote 1

Was talking to my brother about something like this shold come into law. Very good move if you have nothing to hide should not be a problem.

Might be ok now agreeing to these measures but what happens when a government comes into power in the future with the intent of using these systems to crush the people

Think of the government of Germany prior to the war and then they implement these measures then hitler comes to power (obviously did not have the technology back then but you get what I mean)

Germany government before the war were a joke getting Boyd off by the French who took their resources and resulted in allot of the country suffering. Hitler brought some respect to motherland, so glad he never topped himself when he was jail he was the Mandela of the 1920's. Think he was right to treat the Jews how he did, those traitors did help in Germany's downfall in ww1.

• Downvote 1

Germany government before the war were a joke getting Boyd off by the French who took their resources and resulted in allot of the country suffering. Hitler brought some respect to motherland, so glad he never topped himself when he was jail he was the Mandela of the 1920's. Think he was right to treat the Jews how he did, those traitors did help in Germany's downfall in ww1.

Since it clearly wasn't the average Jew working in a bakery; you think the genocide of a race/ethnic group of people is acceptable due to the actions of a few of them?

Tr0lling hard

Paraphrasing Benjamin Franklin here

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

These things always start small and then spread out silently until we're told that it's too late to do anything about it. It's like how we can't protest outside our own parliament without the permission of the police a 'nice' bit of legislation passed by our caring politicians.

Not to be a pedant but the whole quote is even more apt

'Those who would sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither and will lose both'

I can understand where the Government is coming from on this topic.

The Internet is spiraling out of control & the more technology advances the more it's going to be harder to catch criminals.

I think they would be looking for tracking down organised crime and terrorists.

In the protection of this country I can only agree with what the government have in place here.

I acknowledge from a public perspective that this will only suppress and put fear into people whilst putting into question their privacy rights but then again the internet as a whole is a public domain.

Since it clearly wasn't the average Jew working in a bakery; you think the genocide of a race/ethnic group of people is acceptable due to the actions of a few of them?

So what do you think of people in England attacking Jews also looting and destroying Jewish shops and businesses because of the blitz?

So what do you think of people in England attacking Jews also looting and destroying Jewish shops and businesses because of the blitz?

Why would my opinion be any different?