Frimpong 'I'll take Gazidis' first team spot'

Captain Planet

Frimpong: I told Fletcher to join Arsenal

Emmanuel Frimpong has shed light on his short spell with Wolverhampton Wanderers and revealed that he was so impressed with Scottish striker Steven Fletcher that he suggested the 24-year-old join Arsenal.

Despite having his time at Molineux cruelly cut short by a cruciate knee ligament injury, the second time he’s suffered such a problem, the Ghanaian enforcer also spoke in admiring terms about the attitude and spirit within the Wolves set-up.

“I think Steven Fletcher is a good player, I told him to come to Arsenal!” Frimpong told the Arsenal official matchday programme of a player who has scored ten goals this term.

“Stephen Ward at left-back isn’t bad either. They’ve got decent players, and the thing about them is that everyone works so hard.

“They base everything around work – people there even told me they haven’t got the ability of some of the teams in the Premier League and need to make up for that by working hard and I think that’s the right attitude.”

Reflecting fondly on his period away from Arsenal, Frimpong hinted that he could one day return if another loan spell was deemed necessary: “As a footballer you sometimes have to make decisions, and I think going to Wolves was probably the best thing I could have done.

“They may not have been doing too well, but the manager [recently departed Mick McCarthy] was very good to me – I think it’s very important to go to a manager who likes you, and he showed belief in me.

“He put me in the team, and I’m just happy that I was able to do him proud on the pitch. I had a great time, and if I come back from injury and need some games then I’d be happy to go back there.”

“Stephen Ward at left-back isn’t bad either. They’ve got decent players, and the thing about them is that everyone works so hard.

“They base everything around work – people there even told me they haven’t got the ability of some of the teams in the Premier League and need to make up for that by working hard and I think that’s the right attitude.”

Sending or is that just reaching?

• 8 months later...

Arsenal will listen to offers for Emmanuel Frimpong in the New Year after opting not to open negotiations over a new deal, Goal.com can reveal.

The Gunners academy graduate, who has been at the club since he was nine, is out of contract at the end of the season.

But Arsenal chiefs have been unimpressed with the development of the midfielder and it is understood there are no plans to extend his stay at the club beyond next summer.

There is strong interest in Frimpong from Wolves, where the 20-year-old began a loan spell in the second half of last season only for it to be ended after five games because of a cruciate ligament injury to his right knee.

The club, who were relegated to the Championship in the summer, are keen to take Frimpong on loan again in January as it grows increasingly likely that he will leave Emirates Stadium.

Wolves are also interested in buying the feisty midfielder, although there are doubts about whether the Ghanaian is willing to drop down a division permanently.

Frimpong began his comeback with the Arsenal Under-21s at around the same time as his good friend Jack Wilshere and has made two appearances for the first team in the Capital One Cup, against Coventry and Reading.

But he is not expected to add many more to his 16 senior Arsenal appearances. Sources have told Goal.com that Arsene Wenger does not believe Frimpong will develop into a first-team regular and the manager has also been disappointed with the attitude and discipline of the youngster.

Frimpong courted controversy by involving himself in a spat with Samir Nasri last season and in August was fined £6,000 by the FA and warned about his future conduct following comments made to a Tottenham supporter on Twitter.

Frimpong's impending departure will represent a blow to the Arsenal academy, as he has been at the club for 11 years, joining in the same intake as Wilshere.

Emmanuel Y Frimpong@Frimpong26AFC

Subject to rumours am not leaving afc I am positive of going on loan this week which am really excited about and I am fully commited to afc

And am not in my last year or looking to be sold just to clear matters thank you and going on loan to get games and cum back to arsenal

Never really rated him but I like the lad and his story.. I want him to succeed here but he has been very unfortunate and it looks like it will be very difficult for him now, which is a shame coz the lad cares about the club

I'm sure the last inj at wolves made it two cruciate injuries in two years, peek

Emmanuel Frimpong has joined Charlton Athletic on loan until January 1, 2013.

The 20-year-old midfielder, who returned from a seven month injury lay-off in September, has made two first-team appearances for Arsenal so far this term, in the Capital One Cup victories over Coventry City and Reading.

Last season Frimpong featured 14 times for Arsène Wenger’s side by the turn of the year, and made a promising start to a loan spell with Wolverhamton Wanderers before cruciate ligament damage to his right knee brought his campaign to a premature end in February.

He joins up with Chris Powell’s Championship side for the opportunity of a return to regular competitive football over the next two months.

Emmanuel first arrived at Arsenal as a schoolboy and was a key part of the Club’s 2009 FA Youth Cup-winning team.

Everyone at the Club wishes him well for his time at The Valley.