Robin Van Muscle Failure - I'm falling apart under the strain of carrying 10 men and a manager

The New Diaby

article-2107934-0737B7AE000005DC-487_468x286.jpg

Arsenal have been dealt a worrying injury scare after Robin van Persie failed to complete Holland's training session due to a groin problem.

The Gunners skipper walked off the Wembley pitch for the final 15 minutes of Tuesday's session ahead of the clash against England.

Van Persie was in visible discomfort before coming off, missing an eight-a-side training match.

Sportsmail

was told last night that Van Persie made the decision to come off after feeling pain in his groin.

Van Persie went into last night's session carrying a 'very mild' groin problem from Sunday's win over Tottenham, though it was not deemed serious enough to keep him out of meeting up with the Dutch squad.

Arsenal sources insist Van Persie's decision to make an early withdrawal from training was purely precautionary.

But the news casts doubts on his participation in tonight's clash and the Gunners' clash against Liverpool on Saturday.

Arsene Wenger will be keen for his striker to sit out the friendly to ensure he does not risk aggravating the injury further.

But Dutch boss Bert van Marwijk is ready to anger the Gunners manager by opting to playing the striker.

Close attention: Van Marwijk watches Van Persie at Wembley

'I am optimistic that he will play. We will have to wait and but I don't think it's too serious,' said Van Marwijk.

The Holland manager knows he will be risking Wenger's wrath by taking any sort of fitness risk with his talismanic striker.

Wenger is already an outspoken critic of the number of FIFA's international calendar, particularly with regards to the number of friendly matches.

The Gunners manager has already had a number of run-ins with the Dutch FA over their use of Van Persie.

Speaking in 2010, former Holland manager d*ck Advocaat said: ‘He is always moaning about something.

'Mr Wenger wants to become the champion of England; I want my team to qualify from the Euro 2012 group. We need to respect the interests of each other.’